Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Style: Without Answering System|Change

on November 16, 2010
Almost 100 years ago, Thomas Riley Marshall, vice president of the U.S., said, "What this country needs is a good five cent cigar." Well, times have changed and what this country needs now is a good 2-line phone, with a built-in digital answering machine and caller ID. I'm in small business and have searched for years trying to find one. I've been stuck using my Lucent 1872 phone, which was fine, except it didn't have caller ID and had to use a separate Radio shack 2-line caller ID box which consumed eight AAA batteries. I've purchased several phones, all with no luck because of ridiculous and quirky features, and user un-friendly formatting and programming.

Here's the problem: The people who design these phones NEVER use them in real life. So how would they ever know how these things work sitting on your desk? They don't.

That being said, I have used this AT&T ML17939 for a couple of weeks. I think I'll keep it. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
1) Tremendous value for the money.
2) Intuitive programming and good instructions. It's easy to use.
3) Feature-rich options. It can do a lot.

Cons:
1) Goofy keypad design. The huge number buttons are like what you would find on a Fisher-Price toy for children. If you have bad eyesight they would probably come in handy.
2) The whole phone is propped up at a 70 degree angle. So every time you dial a number it's like punching the phone. And with every punch, the phone moves back slightly. You could actually dial the phone off your desk if you aren't careful. I'll probably attached some velcro to the desk so the phone doesn't constantly move backwards while I'm dialing. (If you just have the phone flat on your desk, you can't see the Caller ID, so it needs to be propped up at an angle.)

Why will I keep the phone? Because I need that built in Caller ID which will save me a fortune in batteries. Overall, I believe it's the best 2-line, digital answering machine, caller ID, phone on the market today.

If you are shopping for a 2-line, digital answering machine, caller ID phone -- this is as good as it gets. It's not perfect, but believe me, there is nothing out there that's better for the price.

UPDATE: I am writing this over two years after my initial review. I am still using the phone and am very happy with it. It has held up very well. I'd order it again if I needed a new phone.

ADDITIONAL UPDATE: After 3 years, the screen stopped working. This is the small screen where you see the Caller ID. I purchased another one and I'm back in business. I've grown to like this phone and if I need to buy a new one every 3 years, I will happily do so. The price remains very reasonable and because I was used to the phone, the set up only took me 5 minutes.
1212 comments| 151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2013
Given the meager description and reviews I thought I would point out the features of this phone that I wanted and liked.

* 2 line phone that can run on one line IF you want.
* Can use 2 separate phone wires or one wire with 2 lines.
* With 2 lines it sounds fine. If you hear any noise with 2 lines it is your wiring.
* You can set which line is the primary for pick up to make calls.
* EACH line has an adjustable ringer, all the way to off.
* Big buttons are easier to use.
* VERY easy to program all features.
* Speakerphone has unbelievable clarity for the parties on either end.
* Works well with a Plantronics CS70N Wireless headset and lifter.
* Will take a wired heads set as well for when the Plantronics is exhausted.
* The display goes dim, but lights up when a call comes in.
* Amazon's price is great and with Prime I got free shipping.
* Phone arrived the next day for me.
22 comments| 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2012
I purchased this phone for its 2 line function to establish some conference call in my home.

For my use, I just need a decent speakerphone, and the function to combine the 2 lines. I bought Panasonic 2 line phone KX-TS3282B, which looks little better and little serious than this ATT in terms of business phones. However, the major problem of Panasonic is its speakerphone not as good as this ATT. This ATT's speakerphone is truly a winner, and I think that it is as clear as some polycomm conference station. Its speaker is somewhat powerful. I tested and called my cellphone, which was put next to a small table radio. To my surprise, the sound from the speaker of ATT phone is as clear as I listen the radio directly.

In short, its speakerphone is very good, and beyond my expectation for a phone in this price range. By the way, as the manual tells, this phone can be used as a single line basic phone when no AC power.

I bought the silver version of this phone which is sold in staples. I think that the silver looks little better. The model number is 17928.
22 comments| 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2012
When I placed a call using the speakerphone and built-in mic the person I called told me I sounded like I was on a cellphone with one bar of signal. I left myself a message on my cellphone and it was almost completely unintelligible, even I spoke towards the mic from a foot away. I had my wife try it in case it was my voice, same result. Based on the glowing reviews herein I assumed I just got a bad one I had Amazon replace it. Te second one is exactly the same, the mic does not work. I don't think I'll try a third time. Sadly there don't seem to be any good alternatives. I guess it's back to the Uniden 1380BK I was trying to replace...
55 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2013
Love this phone, I only have 1 line but it has 2. No answering machine, but who needs that when everybody has voice mail. I bought it because it has a headphone jack, and I also bought the Panasonc KX-TCA60 and those work wonderfully with this phone. Great phone, recommend.
on July 8, 2010
I'd been looking for a well-reviewed corded 2-line phone with answering machine, speakerphone, speed-dial buttons, and caller ID for a long time. Given up, actually. Then I happened upon this new model (no reviews), and took the chance. It's very good in all respects except: 1) no indication how many messages you have when the phone is idle (!), and 2) no way to rewind when listening to a message except rewinding to the beginning of the message (!!). If I got a lot of messages, that flaw would be enough for me to return it, but I'll probably just live with it. Sigh.

I'm also wondering why I can't find an answering machine that shows the caller ID name info for the currently playing message. Seems like such a no-brainer, but I've never seen it. At least this phone shows the date & time of the message as you listen to it.
66 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2013
I just received this item last week, and other than a Caller-ID issue I am happy with it thus far. It's bigger than it appears to be in pictures, the oval key-pad buttons are quite large (bigger than a nickel, smaller than a quarter), and the snap-on base for desk-top use holds the base at about a 45-degree angle for easy viewing of the LCD display and dialing (but this also makes the telephone appear to take up far more space on a desk than it actually does, and obscures the area immediately behind the telephone.)

Pro's:
- easy to program;
- very clear, crisp sound on both speaker and hand-set;
- very clear, well back-lit and easy-to-read LCD display.

Con's:
- no Caller-ID light to indicate calls received;
- in-coming calls fail to display in "New Calls" (the default LCD display) and only display in "Call History", meaning I have to open menu, then call history, and then each specific line number to see if I've missed any calls.

I'm pleased with most aspects of this telephone, but the jury is still out on the Caller-ID issue and hence whether or not it will be returned.

******

Update April 26, 2014: After 15 months of home use, the LCD screen on this telephone is starting to degrade, losing thread-like horizontal lines of display (as has happened on every other AT&T phone with an LCD display I've purchased in the past few years.) If it follows the pattern of my other AT&T phones, within months the LCD display will degrade to the point it will become unreadable. For that reason I'm lowering my four-star rating to two stars, and I would not recommend this telephone.

*******

Update May 19, 2014: I was overly optimistic about how fast the LCD screen would degrade; in little more than three weeks since my previous update, the LCD screen has degraded to the point that two out of the three lines displayed are almost unreadable. Therefore I am changing my rating to one star from the prior two stars.
on July 24, 2010
I was looking for a phone for my home office that supports 2 lines. Needed it to have speakerphone, mute, answer machine with a decent display. The problem I have found with other phones is it either does not have a mute button or and the speakerphone quality is very poor. I really was hoping for a phone that also had an easy headset option and I found that with this phone. It pretty much had it all. And a real bonus is that I can switch from handset to speaker to headset without disconnecting from my call. Love that! It was a real problem with my last phone. The only thing I don't care for is the unnecessarily large number buttons. They're also a little hard to push, I'm hoping that it just needs to be broken in or something. Other than that, it's a great phone and I recommened it to anyone who wants it all.
on November 7, 2012
Looking for a simple corded two-line phone with a speaker phone and jack for a headset. This phone met the requirements and I bought 2 phones for the home office - one for my wife's office and one for my office.

Pros:
1. Feature rich
2. Easy to set up

Cons:
1. Speaker phone - frequently drops out and I can not hear the person talking. I only use this phone in my office - there is no background noise. It works better if I but the phone on mute, apparently the mic is sensitive to the voice coming out of the speaker. Another work around has been lowering the speaker phone volume, this reduces the drop outs but they still occur.

2. Line interference. When my wife is on the second line I can hear the conversation faintly in the background. The only work around I've found for this is to unplug the second line from the bottom of the phone when I am on line one.

3. Headset. I bought a headset that is frequently purchased with this phone. It works OK but there is a background buzz/static/white noise makes it far from friendly. The headset is better than the speaker phone (as the speakers don't drop out) and I use the headset when I present over the phone.

I thought maybe one of the phone was bad and returned it. The replacement had less drops on the speaker phone but all of the other problems continued. It is now to late to return the phones - otherwise they would both go back.

If you have a recommendation for two-line home office phone let me know.
on March 20, 2013
This is probably the sixth or seventh (at least) in a string of speakerphones I have bought over the years, all of which either eventually crapped out or lacked features I was looking for. To paraphrase Stefon from Saturday Night Live, "This phone has it all." Well, at least it has everything I've been looking for. Most importantly, a great speakerphone (both on my end and the other party's, which is VERY rare) and a backlit LCD screen that's really bright and legible. The other features (speed dial (18 numbers), alphabetical directory (99 numbers), speaker, handset and ringer volume controls, hold, mute, conference, flash, pause, redial buttons, caller ID and voicemail indicators) have also appeared on many of my earlier phones, but this is the first phone that has ALL of them and they ALL work great. Ergo, 5 stars.