4.0 out of 5 stars Turn Around and Continue Going Forward - Again...
Published on June 28, 2010 by applewood

3.0 out of 5 stars too much soundtrack not enough songs
about 4 good songs real good artists on those, just too much silly sound track sounds which is music but don't think I should have to buy it at cd price.
Published 19 months ago by style76

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Turn Around and Continue Going Forward - Again..., June 28, 2010
applewood (everywhere and nowhere) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 180 South (Audio CD)
One of the best parts of the ecological/adventure documentary film 180 Degrees South is the soundtrack. It captures the spirit of open, spontaneous and care-free adventure that a life well lived embodies. This soundtrack by Ugly Casanova, Jack Johnson and friends who helped make the documentary, may not seem so fresh to the younger of us today (weaned on Indie/alternative music), but I found it a great expression of this youthful and innocent, yet wise, sensibility. My teenage daughter says it sounds just like Modest Mouse (Ugly Casanova's Isaac Brock's other band), and it has the same feel as half a dozen other Indie bands I've heard..., yet to me they sound more like early Jefferson Airplane or Neil Young with a hint of The Holy Modal Rounders; authentic, timeless, loose, sometimes quirky, always mellow, hippie folk-rock.

This is not complicated songwriting or musicianship, more like something you'd discover in your own heart while hiking in a remote valley on the Big Island (Hawaii), or create with friends around a desert camp fire. It is playful and tuneful, and full of heart - just what the world needs now!

"Love calls just like the wild birds
Well, it's another day
Spring wind blew my list of
Things to do away" - (Gregg Brown via J.J.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Once again, Isaac Brock and company deliver..., July 17, 2010
This review is from: 180 South (Audio CD)
This album is a good addition to the Modest Mouse/Ugly Casanova catalog. Ugly Casanova is whatever collective Brock puts together aside from Modest Mouse, so hipsters can stop saying this isn't Ugly Casanova. If you enjoy Modest Mouse, you'll enjoy this album. James Mercer's "Journey Through the Past" is good, but not as good as the Neil Young original. Mason Jennings' "Machines" actually sounds a lot like a lost Neil Young track.

My favorite tracks were Lay Me Down, Wave Goodbye, Maybe We're Lost, Coconut Flakes (which is an acoustic version of an older electric Love As Laughter song), and Here's To Now. The rest of the Ugly Casanova songs on here are enjoyable instrumentals.

This is a good release to tide you over until the next album Modest Mouse releases.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought this for Ugly Casanova only, July 1, 2010
ModestAB (Columbus, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 180 South (Audio CD)
Ever since I became a fan of Modest Mouse I just could not get enough of their music. I bought every single album, EP, rare single, vinyl, and unauthorized concert DVDs. When I discovered Ugly Casanova's masterpiece "Sharpen Your Teeth," I had even more respect for the musicianship of Sir Isaac Brock.

So, in short, the reason I bought this soundtrack was for the acquisition of new Ugly Casanova songs. I want to start by saying the soundtrack is a great companion piece driving for long hours, but I am not a real fan of Jack Johnson or James Mercer. I know Mercer has lent his vocal talents on a few Modest Mouse tracks, but he just doesn't do it for me as a soloist or with the Shins.

Isaac Brock, lead singer or Modest Mouse, has really crafted something natural and raw with Ugly Casanova's return to the music world. I couldn't be more excited, even if the songs are a tad less alarming than "Sharpen Your Teeth." By that, I mean that "Sharpen Your Teeth" was much more experimental and outlandishly satisfying in so many different aspects of vocals, instruments, and lyrics.

I can't say I love this album, it will take a few listens. But heck, any Ugly Casanova is amazing music and Ugly Casanova, nonetheless.

Must listens: Lay Me Down, Here's to Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, July 14, 2012
This review is from: 180 South (Audio CD)
Love this. Love this. Makes me want to go on my own adventure. The photography is georgeous, the words of wisdom from Yvon.... priceless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!, March 1, 2012
This review is from: 180 South Soundtrack (MP3 Music)
Excellent album. The songs match the vibe of the film. Highly recommended! I would suggest this to anyone who wants some nice music and enjoyed the documentary. MP3 download to my cloud drive was seamless.

5.0 out of 5 stars for all those MM lovers!, January 14, 2012
This review is from: 180 South (Audio CD)
This soundtrack is awesome! nice little gem for all those modest mouse lovers out there. isaac brock records under his other group ugly casanova. dvd is awesome too!

4.0 out of 5 stars awe inspiring, July 24, 2010
R. Perkins (Columbus, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 180 South (Audio CD)
stunning... sad that the jack johnson song is better than all of the "new" ugly casanova songs... james mercer songs on here are quite good though

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 10, 2014
This review is from: 180 South (Audio CD)
What a great feel good documentary! Great energy and a happy ending AND no violence. Perfect!

4.0 out of 5 stars Chilled, January 26, 2014
This review is from: 180 South Soundtrack (MP3 Music)
This album is soothing and nearly therapeutic. Goes great with nature. Go to the mountains, the beaches, even just your backyard, listen to this album, and lucid meditation will ensue, I assure you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, November 3, 2013
This review is from: 180 South (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic documentary and one that has returned to my thoughts often since I first watched it. Inspirational!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

180 South
180 South by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2010)