Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Jana Kramer All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Kids Halloween

on February 2, 2012
This is a great induction burner. Built fairly well, controls are easy to use, and I'm quite satisfied with my purchase. I recommend it. If you want more technical info, read on.

I had many questions about the wide variety of induction burners available. Some can be answered by reading the plethora of reviews out there, but it was nearly impossible to find out the size of the induction coil, and whether it would work for a larger pot or pan. Basically, how long it takes to do anything more than boil a single cup of water - which I never do. That is what a microwave is for.

After much searching, I decided to simply buy the one that seemed to provide the features I wanted the most. First, I wanted the most power available for a 120v outlet - which turns out to be an 1800W element/coil/burner. Second, I wanted easy, simple controls that would be likely to last. This one fit that perfectly because the controls are under the glass, where they cannot be hurt by spills. I don't like blister buttons. They never last in my experience.

Like I said earlier, I don't care if this thing can boil a cup of water. I wanted to know if this will be a valuable addition to my kitchen. I live in southern Arizona, and in the summer, I am always trying to minimize my cooling bill. To that end, it seemed like maybe one or two of these tabletop induction units might be helpful, instead of using my ceramic/glass radiant heat cooktop (no gas in my subdivision).

Using two different pots, the new Duxtop 8300, and my traditional ceramic glass cooktop, I performed a series of tests to determine just how fast or efficient the new induction unit really is. Here are some details regarding the test equipment:

Cookware - I used Calphalon Contemporary Stainless cookware, which is a medium/high grade tri-ply stainless with an aluminum core. Not the best stuff out there, but of a reasonably high quality. I used an 8 quart stockpot containing 6 quarts of cold tap water, and a 2.5 quart saucepan containing 1 quart of cold tap water. After each test, the water was dumped, and the pot cooled.

Baseline cooktop - A Jenn-Air ceramic/glass 5 burner cooktop. For this test, I used two burners. The first is a 3kw burner - the most powerful, and the second is a 1.8kw burner, because it matches the power of the Duxtop.

Test unit - Duxtop 8300ST. Solid glass top, no blister buttons, 1800w (1.8kw).

Here are the results of my testing. Not entirely scientific, but good enough for my purposes. I took a video and will try to put it here, so you can see what I mean when I say "rolling boil".

8qt pot w/ 6qt of water
1.8kw Induction = 23min to achieve full rolling boil
3kw Radiant = 18min to achieve full rolling boil
1.8kw Radiant = 23min to achieve full rolling boil

2.5qt pot w/ 1qt of water
1.8kw Induction = 4min to achieve full rolling boil
3kw Radiant = could not use, too large a diameter for the pot
1.8kw Radiant = 6.5min to achieve full rolling boil

In summary, with a large full pot, this induction burner is not powerful enough to impress. It is not bad, and produced virtually no radiant heat like I feel with the radiant cooktop, but was 5 minutes slower than a high powered radiant heat burner. While matching the Duxtop to an equally powered radiant heat burner produce virtually the same time when boiling the large pot of water. However, you can see that when using a more sensible pot for the size of the induction cooktop, it was well able to achieve a full rolling boil more than 50% faster than the traditional radiant burner. Not bad at all.

Next, I wanted to know more about how large the coil was under the glass. I had previously emailed Secura (the parent company) and asked about the size of the coil. Frankly, I was not expecting an answer, and if I did receive one I expected the answer to be useless. However, I was pleasantly surprised to get the following response:

"Dear Tony,
Thank you for writing to us about duxtop. The copper coil under the ceramic glass is about 6" diameter. It is a pretty standard diameter for almost all induction cooktops to pass safety regulations.

After using the unit, and watching the bubbles forming at the bottom of the pans, I was relatively confident that their statement was fairly accurate - but I wanted to know exactly. So, I opened it up and measured it. The copper coil has a diameter of 6.75". I've added pictures here of the disassembled unit. Hopefully Secura doesn't frequent this site and void my warranty.

The touch controls work great. They are very responsive, similar to using my HTC Android phone. As for fan noise, I can't believe people would actually complain about it. No, it is not silent, but it is very mellow. The high pitched whine is present with my cookware. I cannot hear it (too old I guess) but my teenagers do. They tell me the closer you are, the worse it is, but after about 10 seconds, it fades to the point where they have to put their ear up to it to hear it, so I guess they'll be ok.

Over all, I am really pleased with this little cooktop. It is exactly what I had hoped, and I anticipate it getting lots of use. I cannot say anything about how well it will last, but in general, I don't notice anything that I would call a weakness. The cord is very heavy. The glass is standard thickness, and the black plastic base seems sturdy enough to take reasonable use.

One last note; the unit came missing one of the rubber feet. I promptly emailed Secura and asked if they'd send a replacement. The same evening I received a reply indicating a replacement would be in the mail the next day. The following morning, I received another email with the tracking number for the missing foot. Very quick response.

I hope I've answered all the questions you've been frustrated with, like I was.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 26, 2011
The Duxtop 1800-Watt Portable Sensor Touch Induction Cooktop 8300ST v.2011 has become the only burner I use...
I bought this to replace my Breville electric wok, which, although great for stir-frying, died (ruptured heating element) after only 2 years of service. I had become very attached to the excellent heat-producing capacity of that wok, but want to stay away from non-stick surfaces in future cookware for health reasons..

After much research, (and a *miserable* purchase of a Sunbeam stainless steel wok which amounted to little more than a warm salad bowl on legs) I decided to take the plunge and go for this induction unit used in tandem with my trusty old carbon steel wok.

The heat performance for stir-fry has been as good as the Breville, but combined with the wok-hei flavor of the old wok, and being able to heat the wok to smoking without fear of toxic fumes, the overall wok-cooking pleasure of this combination is even higher than the Breville. Additionally, it provides FAST boiling of water..Generally, 2 quarts of water will boil in 2-3 minutes, as opposed to 10-15 minutes on my electric stove...

It has been wonderful this summer to heat coffee/pasta water and never have to worry about heating up the house with residual heat from the burner, since induction cooking produces no residual heat once the unit is turned off. We also bring it outside to deep-fry fish to keep the smell from permeating the house. It does an admirable job at wok deep-frying, and maintains a very constant temperature...Our trout, pompano and red snapper all develop a crispy, crunchy exterior and maintain a moist, juicy interior with minimal-to-no tending, so long as the unit is set to 1200 watts.

My only qualms about the unit are basically just nit-picky ones. First, when the unit is plugged in (as it is permanently in my home) the power panel flashes a row of horizontal dashes that look disconcertingly like an error code. Maybe the idea is to remind you to unplug it, but since my outlet is in an inconvenient location, and this is my permanent cooking surface, it just sits there flashing 24/7, and using unnecessary electricity.

Second, when things overflow, such as pasta is inclined to, and the water gets onto the smooth-top glass surface, the cook is NOT able to shut off or adjust temperature/wattage of the unit using the touch pad, as the water must somehow interfere with the touch pad's electrical response. Therefore, in order to stop the disaster, you must either unplug the unit, or remove the messy pot, wipe up the spill, then adjust temp/wattage/turn it off. Not a big deal if you have the presence of mind and a place to quickly move the boiling pot to, but in a panicky spill situation, it can throw you for a loop...

Third, and this is really no big deal, the unit's cooling fan makes a sound very similar to that produced by a microwave oven while cooking, and for around 1 minute afterwards...Combined with the exhaust fan and all the action in the pan, the overall decibel-level can be perhaps more lively than some noise sensitive people would prefer. Again, the sound is not really that bad, and sounds just like a microwave, but it is something to know.

These small things aside, the Duxtop induction cooktop has revolutionized my kitchen.. I now eschew my 4 burner stove, even for multi-dish meals, in favor of the Duxtop, knowing that I can heat the pan basically instantaneously for stir-fry, cook the main dish, then switch pans and make boiling hot soup in the *same time or less* than simply heating water on my regular electric stove..

This is a wonderful appliance. Convenient, affordable, versitile and low-profile. I am very grateful to have discovered it...

UPDATE: Oct 6, 2011

This unit continues to amaze with its ability to stir-fry, deep-fry, and heat large pots of soup quickly, but for pancake/griddle type applications, it is frustrating. The 4" diameter induction area heats a cast iron griddle quickly in the center, but leaves a very cool area toward the edges of the pan. Pancakes cook unevenly, and omlettes are impossible...For even griddle cooking, even a cast iron griddle on my electric range does a better job...Still-this is a fantastic choice for most other types of stove-top cooking...
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 24, 2011
I recieved this very quickly, which was nice.

I just cooked my first item on this...something I often make, Texmati Rice...usually I combine water and rice and boil, then simmer for 15 with a gas range, the process takes over 30 minutes with wait time after.

Using a small All-Clad brand pan, the water boiled in less than 2 minutes on the high setting, 1800...I placed the lid on the pot, then reduced it to the lowest setting, 500 and only simmered for about 7 minutes and the pan, was ready to be removed. The rice was already done proper and ready to sit with the lid on to finish cooking.

COMPLETELY AMAZING! What a time and energy saver!

The unit was easy to has a standard 2 prong plug, hit the power button, the fan comes on, and then the + or - button to raise or lower the setting. I looked in the book to see what the setting meant...1800 was high, and 500 was the simmer feature. Even at simmer, it seemed a little high, so I reduced the cook time and the rice turned out perfect. Had I not reduced the standard cooktime, I am quite certain it would have scorched at least.

There is also a setting to adjust the heat by temperature, but I have not tried that, but I wonder if it would have given me a lower setting.

I am very happy with the speed and operation of the cooktop. It also looks really nice in my kitchen, and oddly enough, sort of matches my VTECH smooth surface touch screen telephones.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 12, 2011
The Duxtop is very well built, and enjoy cooking with this it. It saves time to warm up a cold pan, and when it comes to heat up a large quantity of water it cuts the time at least by 50%, to be the safe side. The cook top stays cool at least for the first 10 minutes of cooking. After continuous use of hours, top starts to get hot(right under where the pan sits, the edges are still cool), not burning hot, but do not touch it. I think it because of the heat from the pan transfers back to the cooktop.
The sensitive touch panel works great, very sensitive to touches. There is a lock key to lock the panel in case you donot want to touch any key by accident. One more advantage of the touch sensitive control pad over the traditional control panel is the extended lifetime. The touch sensitive panel is literally unbreakable, while the traditional key will eventually wear out after a few years. Yet, the touch sensitive model can easily cost you $50 or more for a portable burner, but well worth it, considering it is more enjoyable to use and extend lifetime.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 10, 2013
After three years of enjoying a "real" induction cooktop (Kenmore drop in, four burner, from Sears), I was really dissatisfied with the electric cooktop of our current home. Missing the super fast boil time and superior heat control, i.e.: the ability to melt chocolate without a double boiler, I ordered the Duxtop 8300ST. While it does boil water faster than an old-school electric cooktop, it takes more than twice the amount of time to boil water as the Induction Cooktop that I was used to. 4 Cups of water in a covered kettle took 4.5 minutes on highest setting to boil/whistle on the Duxtop 8300ST. Perhaps it is not fair to compare a single burner, portable device with a drop in. But here are the disapointments:
--While the Duxtop appears to have 10 settings, after 6 weeks of using the product daily, my husband and I conclude that there is really only "on" and "off". When it is set to a low or medium setting, the heat just cycles on and off more quickly than when it is set to high and stays on. This is visibly evidenced by liquid simmering, then being still, alternately every few seconds, without any change to the setting. This has caused many things to over boil on settings as low as #1 -the very lowest it goes.
--I tried simmering bones in water for 8 hours last week and discovered that the Duxtop turns itself off automatically every hour or so, even at the lowest setting.
--There is a rather loud fan that comes on as soon as you turn the Duxtop on and it stays on for a while after you turn it off.
--When it is on, if you remove the pot for a moment, it beeps loudly and incessantly until the pan is either placed back on the burner or the Duxtop is turned off.
--It does not turn itself off when something boils over.
--It must be unplugged to wipe the surface without beeping and changing settings.
The inability to control the heat level to maintain a "medium" or "medium low" or "simmer" on this device has led me to consider sending it back on many occasions. Is it worth the price and counter space just to boil water somewhat faster?
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 29, 2011
Back a few years ago I was looking for a new slide in range for our kitchen. At that time I came upon some hi-end ranges with Induction cooktops. They looked interesting but they were horribly expensive. I read various reviews about using Induction cooking and basically everyone raved about it.

Move forward a few years and I stumbled on single burner Induction cooktops, at reasonable prices. I started researching them and discovered this Duxtop 1800-watt. It was one of the few Induction cooktops with up to 1800 watts of output. The price was right, so I decided to take a chance.

Unlike some other reviewers, I actually had a clue about the requirements of Induction cooking. I knew beforehand that the only pot that I had that attracted a magnet was my tea kettle. None of my vintage (35 year old Revereware and miscellaneous pots and pans) would work. Lots of aluminum. I knew I needed a new set of cookware to go with this cooktop.
After lots of searching I found the perfect set. Costco sells a 5-ply 13 piece Stainless-Steel and copper cookware set. It's writeup specifically states it will work with Induction burners. They work perfectly. They have a flat bottom (very important for Induction cooking) and they heat up VERY fast.

The combination of this cooktop and the Costco cookware is a perfect match. This cooktop works flawlessly and it has plenty of power. Actually I find that I only use the 1800 watt setting when I want to boil water fast. But even at the 1200 watt setting it heats up the pots/pans very quickly. Most of the time I cook at 1200 watts or below. The bottom 500 watt setting is great for keeping things nice and warm.

Lately I have plugged my cooktop into a kill-a-watt watt meter. I have found that the wattage settings are quite accurate. It is actually interesting to see the burner adjust itself to the desired setting. At lower settings (say below 1200) you can see it automatically alternate switching from the proper power setting to just an idle (about 4 watts.)

I have also used the temperature setting which also seems to work as well.
Overall I think this is a great cooktop. Cleanup is a breeze and it is accurate an powerful in operation. I wish I had room for two. I can't remember the last time I used any of the glass/ceramic burners on my slide in range. The Duxtop is my burner of choice.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2011
I am an ADD avid cooker. So I love to try new things. A friend told me about induction cook tops, so I had to try. Before I buy now a days I read reviews. I had read several before buying this cook top. I was skeptical but really all in all most people said you have to get use to the fast heating. It was not really that hard to get use to. The low temperature is 500 on mine and it melts butter perfectly with no splattering then you ramp it up to about 1200 for cooking. It boils water in a sauce pan in 3 minutes (we timed it) I read somewhere someone said that the fan is loud and annoying, that is just not true. There is a fan but it is definitely not loud and it only runs about 1 minute past the cook time. I think that person may need to go on vacation. One last thing to remember faster cook time means a cooler kitchen!!! Anyway I am now in search for a slide in with four cook tops. Once you try this you will not go back to gas or electric ovens.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 7, 2011
I ordered this one over the Max Burton 6200 mostly for its sleek look and glass touch controls. It works well but you should know about a few quirks:

1) Sleek looking it is. It's also thicker (taller on the table) than I had imagine.

2) The fan noise is there and is hard to ignore. It's like running your hook at low setting. It's not unbearable as long as you expect it. For hotpot or fondue applications, you should hope your party is a lively one and does not mind the fan noise.

3) When you have it plugged in but not turned on, the power light is on with "---" in the setting display. It just seems weird and "wrong". I understand the unit needs to have the freedom to run the fan as it sees fit even if the stove is not turned on at the moment but I still don't see the need for the confusing ON indicator. You simply can't have it plugged in and have the power indicator off. I'll just chalk this one up as "interesting design".

4) the outer circle on the stove top seems to be a guide for placing your pot, not the actual stove size. Just the smaller inside circle has the magnetic coil.

5) The 10 step control seems sufficient for my application (hot pot). I was a bit concerned about this at first.

Overall I am happy with this as our first foray to induction cooking.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 4, 2012
I will make this simple; if you are into paying less for utility cost and appreciate state of the art appliances; then get this. It is well built and could handle a 9 inch bottom, 8 quart pot for stock (did weigh to check if it was under the 25 pound limit). Responds to temperature change almost instantaneously and can cook at a low power setting of 200 watts (some people have stated it will only go down to 500 watts and this is incorrect) or 1800 watts. Induction heating is what LED is to lighting and will replace most cooking methods since it is better than gas and certainly all electric conduction cooking elements that are in peoples homes today. I wouldn't consider anything else but an induction cook-top if I was replacing a stove; that's how good it is and when they start making them in large quantities the price should come down like everything else. This type of cooking is much safer and when you consider how much money you are wasting by using gas(only 30-35% efficient) and electric conduction; which most people have, then it makes more sense to go the Induction route. The unit looks great and all controls are below glass level so spills is not an issue. It is simple to use right out of the box and the few directions needed are a quick to read and understand. Having two methods to cook by; Temperature or Power is handy and the timer is a big plus when you don't have to be watching your food (boiling eggs or making some soups)or could be use during the last minutes of cooking to turn off unit and let things cool down. I bought a good quality Teflon coated aluminum saute pan with a heavy bottomCirculon Infinite Nonstick 8" Open Skillet for those few times it makes sense to use a non-stick but cook 99% of the time with stainless pots. I would stay away from those induction interface disk since they defeat what the unit was designed to do and just turn your induction cooking into conduction which is a waste of energy(money) and everything that makes this type of cooking fantastic and spend your money more wisely on some better pots instead. I would consider any product that can do what this does to be Green and good for the environment and wouldn't be surprise to see the inefficient cooking systems we now use to be replaced by Induction in the near future. I have been wanting to try induction for quite awhile and this has been a wake up call for me and I hope it is for you as well. Don't be afraid to try something different; this little cook top will surprise you and is capable of handling most of your cooking needs in less time and for less money. Your kitchen will stay cooler and the proof of this is how the pot handles don't get hot; only warm. The transition to induction was painless for me and I am really happy with this make and model.

I will address some negative points people brought up since I don't have any:

1-Fan noise- I found it to be less and not an issue when it comes to normal cooking but wouldn't use it for a situation that demanded a quiet setting. This unit is for cooking and not a warming device and you should keep that in mind.

2-The Power indicator Light- Like most electronics these days there is a small LED light that is barely noticeable when plugged in and is situated below dark glass. Since it is located by On/Off; as it should be; I don't see why anyone would consider this an issue. When you push the On/Off the other lights come on to single the unit is in use.

3-Pots- Almost every one of my worked since I don't use aluminum which is bad for your health and the only ones that didn't were the ones which were made of 18/10 and didn't have a heavy ferrous material bottom that a magnet would stick to. The pot can be 18/10 stainless but the thick bottom can't be aluminum or copper unless it is sandwiched between a layer of steel. Also note that cast Iron heats the best because the induction will work up to one inch from base of stove and this heats the pot wall up to an inch. I used porcelain coated cast iron and when I put 7 cups of cold stock from the fridge into the pot with vegetables I had just cooked for 5 minutes the broth went from 34 degrees to over 100 degrees in less than a minute. When I used the 10 power level I could hear a boiling sound at the base of the pot even though the contents were not any where near the boiling point. I decided to lower power level to 8 and when it came to a rapid boil I lowered to power level 1 at 200 watts. Keep an eye on cast Iron because induction loves it.

The manufacture states that a 4-6" might not work; but my new 8" saute pan with a 6" heavy bottom works fine and I suspect that the thicker your bottom is the better induction works. Like the manufacture states; if a magnet will stick to the bottom; it will work. You should have a thick bottom to distribute the heat evenly and this is true of all pots. Good quality pots have never been cheaper in price and you can get a good set that will last a lifetime for less than you think.

4-High Pitch Noise- I noticed this once and tracked it down to the pot lid vibrating and not the unit. Shifted the lid and it went away.

5-Touch Buttons- I think they're great and response is never an issue; they respond to the lightest touch.

6-Heating Time- I brought a 6 quart pot to boil in 14 minutes at power setting of 10 and for 1800 watts this is good. Smaller amounts come to a boil faster than a microwave and once you reach boiling it takes little energy to keep it there (Power setting 2 worked for me when cooking pasta in 6 quart pot). Try doing this with a portable conduction unit which waste more heat to the outside air.

7-Temperture Settings- I saw an older review complain about temperature and something to do with boil and simmer. This unit has ten settings on Power and Temperature and I was amazed how quickly it responded when changing the temperature or power level. You know how frustrating it can be waiting for electric conduction to respond to your needs; no problem here with Induction and it's faster than gas since it only heats the pot bottom. Remember that induction heats (the pot bottom only)and doesn't cook like microwave which heats the food unevenly from within and rips apart the food cells and even causes them to explode while spreading low levels of microwave energy as well.

If you leave your food unattended and the surface gets too hot you might get a error (2) due to high heat and the unit will shut down for safety until it cools down. This can happen if you heat large amounts of oil for frying but don't cook anything for long periods and just let it sit there. Cooking dissipates the heat and maintains a safe level of 450 degrees. I have never had this problem.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 23, 2011
Was introduced to induction cooktops when my daughter redid her kitchen and installed a Samsung induction range. I was really impressed with the advantages of induction cooking. Did some research and found I did not have to purchase an entire range, that individual portable induction cooktops were available. We have an RV and thought, what a great idea for our camping trips along with home use. Liked the reviews for the Duxtop 1800 sensor touch and ordered one through Amazon. It promptly arrived and I excitedly opened the package and plugged it in to pop some popcorn. Disappointed. Had to press the on switch (can't call it a button) several times to get it on. Once on, it worked really well. Popped the corn at 1,400 watts and it came out great. E-mailed Duxtop about the on switch problem and they responded immediately. A replacement would be sent as soon as they received the malfunctioning one. We were scheduled to camp and wanted to have the cooktop with us. They agreed to send out the replacement before receiving the original. 5+ star customer service. I liked the unit so much and could live with the malfuctioning one that I asked how much would they be willing to charge me to keep the old one and still receive the replacement. Their response? "Keep them both at no additional charge as it does not seem right that you should have to pay for something that doesn't work properly." Showed the other campers how cool it was to cook bacon while putting a paper towel under the pot to catch the splattering fat and make clean-up a cinch. Really wierd to see a pan of sizzling bacon with a paper towel under the pan and not have it catch fire. About 5 campers wrote down the product info so that they could purchase one. I probably should rate the product 4 stars because of the original on switch issue, but it was such a pleasureable Amazon purchasing experience, that I'm going with 5 stars. Some reviews say it is noisy. A fan runs and you can easily hear it, but I use the unit either outside our RV, outside our house, or in my man cave for a great popcorn snack. Not a problem for me. Heating is very consistent. Only use maximum setting when boiling water or when trying to heat the pot quickly. Favorite cooking setting is 1,400 watts. Timed boiling water. Same pot, same amount of water. Induction = 6 minutes. Our home electric range = 14 minutes. Awesome!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...