4.0 out of 5 stars Tailcoat patter
When my fiancé asked me if I would make his wedding coat initially I panicked. I think this pattern may just make it possible for him to have a special coat and for me to keep my sanity. Thanks Patterns of Time!
Published on August 23, 2011 by Neva

3.0 out of 5 stars Intended for very experienced seamstresses
After a long hunt for a Victorian (NOT Dickensian...) tailcoat, I found this one and danced for joy. It's one of the only patterns out there for this type of coat, and I was thrilled to discover it.

Published on December 12, 2011 by Hizgirl87

3.0 out of 5 stars Intended for very experienced seamstresses, December 12, 2011
This review is from: 1860's Men's Tailcoat, Waistcoat & Trousers Pattern

The pattern included a disclaimer stating that it was not drafted by a professional tailor or draftsman. That truth became more apparent as I tried to figure out how to cut and join it. The pattern has multiple sizes, but some pieces omit certain cutting lines for all but the smallest size (34). I was making a coat for a size 44, and had to create many of my own cutting lines.

The problems with the pattern pieces wouldn't have been so frustrating if the instructions were more thorough. The pattern includes a one-page instruction sheet with only ONE or TWO paragraphs of directions for each garment. It makes a ton of assumptions about your level of expertise. I roped my mom - who got her degree in clothing and textiles - into helping me, and even she got stumped a few times. If it weren't for sewing blogs, a tailor friend, and the Reader's Digest Complete Sewing Guide, this project would never have gotten done.

In short: This is better than drafting your own pattern. But you'd better know what you're doing, or else you will get frustrated and either want to chuck the pattern out the window, or end up with a product that falls short of your expectations.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is the worst pattern I have ever used. Save your money., January 21, 2013
This review is from: 1860's Men's Tailcoat, Waistcoat & Trousers Pattern
First of all, the scaling up for a larger sized man was completely wrong. I had to completely re-do the arm scye and across the back multiple times, both with the muslin and the fashion fabric. Next, the arms are incorrectly drawn. The underarm should have a concave curve, not a convex one, and when a man is a larger size the arms should be wider, not just longer. Third, there were no lining pieces - I had to create my own, along with facings for the tails. Finally, the directions were laughable.

I ended up overlaying the pattern pieces on top of a men's frock coat pattern that I already had had to get the arm scye, the back, and the arms to work, and I ended up using the directions from that pattern as well (Laughing Moon, if you're interested!). I would have done better to use that pattern in the first place and simply adjust the skirting and the front to make it a single breasted tailcoat.

My advice would be to save your money. This pattern caused no end of frustration for me, and I am an experienced costumer. I will not buy from this company again, if this is any indication of what their patterns are like.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Big Thumbs Down!, January 23, 2013
This review is from: 1860's Men's Tailcoat, Waistcoat & Trousers Pattern
I purchased this pattern from Amazon about 10 days ago, and unpacked it tonight, only to be dismayed and disappointed by the contents. Whoever created this pattern was certainly unconcerned about accuracy in the pattern itself, or offering the purchaser a sporting chance of success. He/she warns immediately not to trust any of the cutting lines, gives vague, unhelpful instructions for re-sizing and figuring yardage, and--worst of all--no meaningful sewing instructions. Such instructions as there are consist of one brief paragraph each for the vest and the trousers, and NONE AT ALL for the coat, which is by far the most complex garment. No illustrations are provided. Then the pattern maker adds a masterpiece of understatement: "It is possible that I left something out...." I've seen some outstandingly bad pattern productions in my 20 years as a professional costumer, but this is jaw-dropping. In no sense can this be considered a working garment pattern.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tailcoat patter, August 23, 2011