Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 1861: The Civil War Awakening
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 14, 2016
The writer outlines the emerging conflict that became war in a clear and concise manner. Sometimes there is too much detail but it does paint a picture, especially on the issue of slavery, that conflict was being promoted by many leaders.
on May 11, 2016
This was an interesting book considering I am not a history buff. I do wish there was a brief mention of the chronological battles in the war. This book serves more like an introduction to the events that led to the war. It seemed to go on and on at some points so I think some parts could have been edited leaving room for a summary of the war events. I don't think the author intended to discuss every battle and I respect that. Now I have to read another civil war book. I'm hoping to find one as interesting as this, without all of the boring dates and verbatim with most war history books. It was amazing this book could keep my attention but I honestly continued to read so voraciously to learn more about the war in the end.
on March 20, 2016
What a marvelous book. To label it a “history book” does it more than a little disservice. Goodheart is an eloquent writer of the first order. He brings the Civil War period to life by focusing his attention on a single year — 1861. Goodheart does not tell any overarching story or present a chronologically ordered sequence of events. Instead he focuses on a few discrete events, episodes, and movements that are emblematic of the period. In each instance he draws us into the time in a way in which we feel immersed in the events, breathing the same air as the people whose names appear on the pages. Highest recommendation.
on February 6, 2016
well written
on January 31, 2016
A fresh and telling examination of one American history's most seminal years as the nation plunges into civil war. In addition to the expected characters, Goodheart introduces a number of lesser but no less engaging ones which deepen and flesh out familiar events. The description of the tension-ridden drama unfolding at Fort Sumter reads, as indeed does much of the book, like a time travel voyage, and despite the tragedies involved, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. A scattering of intriguing illustrations adds to the richly evocative experience.
on November 25, 2015
A masterpiece - a smart, fascinating account of the war and it's effect, and basically a tale of the folly of man kind.
on September 9, 2015
Gave me a much better understanding of the origins of the war, and a better appreciation for the dynamics of tension that still exist. Much better than some of the other Civil War books I have tried to read that simply report on one skirmish after another.
on August 24, 2015
The author weaves together the results of impeccable research
Into a coherent revaluation of the origins of the Civil War and the forces that influenced and shaped our democracy.
on August 15, 2015
Must read it gives a new insight into the genius of Lincoln!!!
on August 8, 2015
A very good book relating major players and events at the beginning of the American Civil War