Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > The Casual Vacancy forum

$19.99 for the Kindle version

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 100 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2012 9:40:46 AM PDT
Is the publisher crazy? All I can say is that these price increases have driven me back to my local library! And I intend on getting on the waiting list for this book rather than pay $20 for privileges to a digital copy!

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 9:55:22 AM PDT
Deb says:
If I was able to really LEND the book, I might consider spending more for digital copies. This is really way too expensive for just me to have a download, read once, unless it's THAT GOOD.
Come on all you greedy publishers! You're saving a ton with not killing all those trees; the digital copies have got to be less expensive to produce. Seriously!

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 9:56:07 AM PDT
RuthO says:
I couldn't agree with Erin more. I'll wait until it eventually goes on sale or I can borrow it from my library electronically. I'm not dying to find out what happens in this book.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 9:57:08 AM PDT
Amy M Perez says:
That's an insane price for a Kindle version! They better lower it to the ususal 9.99 or they are not going to have many buyers.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 9:57:37 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 12, 2012 10:07:52 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 9:59:48 AM PDT
Quakerjono says:
Won't be buying it in Kindle version OR in hardcopy. Hachette Book Group aka Little, Brown and Company's stratagem of trying to get more for a digital edition has cost them at least one sale completely.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:04:22 AM PDT
Jaime Wojick says:
$20 for Kindle (e-version) vs $18 or so for the Hardbound version...yeah, THAT's a tough choice.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:07:58 AM PDT
gemstone says:
That is way too expensive for a Kindle version. I would never pay that much for an e-book.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:07:58 AM PDT
$20? Looks like I'll be reading my local library's copy.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:08:17 AM PDT
K. Smith says:
Hopefully this changes with today's antitrust settlement: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304444604577337573054615152.html

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:10:26 AM PDT
Daniel Sabin says:
$21.00 for the Hardcover isn't bad, 19.99 for the E-Book is a bit much, but not too high. I think 14.99 wouldn't be all that bad, @ 9.99 and I am betting every single one of you would buy it. I bet most of you will buy it when/if the world falls in love with it.

I have a strong feeling she'll write about the Harry Potter World again. Arthur Conan Doyle created Sherlock Holmes and could never free himself of it. I will be buying it and hoping it as good as Harry Potter (not the same as, but in terms of writing and story telling, I hope it is as good). No need to pre-order an ebook though.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:10:55 AM PDT
Sandra says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:17:14 AM PDT
I wouldn't pay that much for ANY kindle version of ANYTHING

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:20:41 AM PDT
Donna Smith says:
It is amazing how whiny and entitled consumers are. Authors owe us NOTHING. Their work is their stock in trade, and they have the right to sell it for what the market will bear. Of course, the publisher has the prerogative to set the prices -- and here we see an example of the price fixing that has been in the news lately.

By the time the books actually published, the book will probably cost less then this.

Prime members have the right to borrow some books instead of buying. This might be a Kindle library book. And note that you can share the book on up to six Kindles registered to your account.

Sandra, too bad you felt it necessary to comment at all. Why would you read anything by Rowling at all -- if you couldn't be bothered with her greatest work (only work) to date -- which you have seen as such a waste? Why bother commenting? Just to anger and hurt people who love Rowling's work? Or was the comment about the money because you are frustrated at the success of others? If so, Amazon has a huge self-help book department that you might enjoy. ;-)

What I know of Ms. Rowling suggests that she loves writing. She is darned good at it, and so I think she writes not for the money but for the love of her art.

Also, I suggest everyone look at how much charitable giving Ms. Rowling has done before knocking her profit margin. Her support of Multiple Sclerosis related charities along ia beyond reproach.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:24:04 AM PDT
Jessa says:
I will pay more for a book by an author that I know I like, but in the case of the this book the brief synopsis doesn't even make it sound interesting so I wouldn't pay $19.99. Based on the synopsis, I might not even download it for $2.99. I will at least download a sample when it comes out in the fall and see if it's worthwhile and then decide what I think of the price tag. But even with her name attached to it, I wouldn't pay $19.99 right now for this particular book as described.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:26:17 AM PDT
I agree that authors and publishers have the right to set the price however they want. I also have the right not to buy the book for my Kindle if I think the price is too high. If enough people buy the book at $20, the price will stay. If enough people feel the price is too high for an ebook and not worth getting, the price will come down quickly. That's how the market works. Personally, I know it will come down in price eventually. Most things do. I can wait.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:28:39 AM PDT
Tess says:
I would never pay $19.99 for a digital book. That's crazy! I have plenty of other more reasonably priced books to read until this one is discounted or I can get it at the library.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:29:48 AM PDT
Miss Bekka says:
Yeah, no. There's just no way that an e-book should ever cost that much. No wonder Rowling is against e-books... the publisher turns around and does THAT to her.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:31:36 AM PDT
Linda B K says:
I have to agree with most of you. I have gone back to the library to borrow books -- ebooks or hardcovers (when the ebook is not available). I love reading books on the Kindle, but I strongly believe that the publisher is selling an ebook with significant limitations that are not placed on the hardcover books, i.e., I can only lend it to one person for 14 days (although this is often prohibited by the publisher too), I can't give it to someone else, I can't re-sell it, I can't donate it to a library and take a tax writeoff, etc., etc. Therefore, the cost of that ebook should reflect the restrictions and cost significantly less too. I am hoping that the federal lawsuit changes some things.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:32:22 AM PDT
AMA says:
Outrageous price for an e-book.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 10:42:39 AM PDT
TravelBug says:
I couldn't have said it better myself, Donna!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 10:44:28 AM PDT
Fairly certain she doesn't need the money, she's a bazillionaire or some such. If she's asking $20, imo she's going to get it--all of previous works were successful, so she can raise her prices and expect to be paid, because customers expect products from her to be worth the price. this kind of price point excludes certain customers: you'll go to a library, and if you especially like the book, you'll try and buy it second-hand or discounted (if you like to collect books to perhaps read later).
She's more targeting upper-middle class incomes or higher, and it almost feels like raising taxes, right? With the kind of $$ she has, she has means and leverage, almost a political figure, except Her $$ doesn't have quite the government strings, since it's her personal funds (you're your own personal government after all). In a way, the extra $$ raised in sales go to fund her personal government.
That's a more interesting question: yes it's a great product, but we're not so much paying for production anymore (especially these electronic formats), we're financing personal interests

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 10:53:12 AM PDT
quiver of 8 says:
Me too, won't pay these prices for a book or ebook no matter who wrote it!

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:56:18 AM PDT
This is outrageous!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 11:13:56 AM PDT
She is rich, it's true. If people will buy her books at the higher price (which they will), why not raise the price? I'd be happy to pay $20 for a book written by a great author, especially one who recently donated 160 million GBP to charity. (Source: http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2012/03/08/jk-rowling-no-longer-a-billionaire-according-to-forbes-rich-list/)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Casual Vacancy forum
Participants:  75
Total posts:  100
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about