Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Super Humanoids All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > The Casual Vacancy forum

$19.99 for the Kindle version

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 100 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 6:28:32 AM PDT
Danial Sabin you are my hero....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 7:49:55 AM PDT
Tinammd7 says:
I agree! It doesn't sound like something I want to read. I will wait. I am not going to pay 19.99 for it anyway.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 8:47:02 AM PDT
MsCp says:
no thank you I'll wait for a used copy rather than pay $20 for the kindle copy. Way to expensive

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 2:00:14 PM PDT
S. Chauvin says:
I suspect that the price will go down by the time it comes out in Sept. If you pre-order, I believe that you get the lowest price. Amazon changes it's prices daily. It's like New England weather . . . if you don't like it, wait a few minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 3:05:24 AM PDT
Agree well said.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 5:12:11 AM PDT
Butch says:
I agree with you in regards to the work Ms. Rowling has done and from her success with the Harry Potter series she certainly is not writing for the money. Also I do not fault her at all in regards to the pricing of her book. I look at the publisher who sets the price and to Amazon for offering it at such a price.
I have the upmost respect for Ms. Rowling and her accomplishments and when you review what her life was before her success one will see why she is so charitable. At least the topic caused discussion among Kindle readers. Always healthy to debate.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 8:17:17 AM PDT
Visa says:
Pre-order! That means the Kindle version has not come out. Correct?
20 buckes for an Ebook? Does the publisher want to swallow the whole world? No way.
My dear & kind publisher, have mercy upon yourself!

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 1:54:55 PM PDT
Purple Sage says:
Not going to happen at that price!!!!

Posted on May 1, 2012 7:05:36 PM PDT
Grammie says:
Not in this lifetime!

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 4:41:53 PM PDT
K.A.E says:
For myself personally.... I can't afford this & on principal alone I wont pay for it. You are right, @ 9.99.... I would buy it for my Kindle the moment it went on sale. At 19.99.... I think I'll just wait.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 3:06:50 PM PDT
Hmm didn't think of that.. Good idea.. I for one don't even want to reat the book at those prices and I am a huge Harry Potter fan.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 12:22:37 PM PDT
Book Worm says:
Not me ... I will sit on the waiting list at my local library ... Harry potter it ain't!

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 12:29:54 PM PDT
I don't think I'll ever get around to reading it, unless it has some really great reviews. It seems a very tame book compared to the HP series. Not the type of book I would normally pick up.

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 8:25:40 AM PDT
M. Hayne says:
Was so excited to see the pre-order for this book! And that it was going to be issued right away as an e-book! Fantastic! My favorite format. But when I got to the book's Amazon page and saw the 19.99 it stopped me dead in my tracks. Bummer. Won't be able to pre-order. Will have to wait and hope the price will come down with time.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 5:30:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2012 5:31:18 PM PDT
Cars&Guitars says:
"MOMMY.. JK Rowling marked the price too high! It's not even Harry Potter either! I don't like her anymore! WAH."

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 7:21:26 AM PDT
Scott Hamby says:
Agree with all of these, I've had a Kindle since they first came out. Now the pricing is driving me back to paperback at 1/2 priced books. What a shame as the ebook is great, but not at these prices.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 11:00:21 PM PDT
Karlyn says:
Omg, no way at this price!!! Will wait or find used, kindle be darn. Audible might only be 1 credit, still much cheaper.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 3:53:07 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 26, 2012 3:57:59 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 11:57:32 PM PDT
BonnieD says:
Well it looks like they've "lowered" it to 17.99, still WAY too much for a Kindle version. Costs them little to nothing to produce and they are trying to gouge us.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 5:44:30 AM PDT
Oz Pom says:
Like many others here, I would love to read this book on my kindle right now but I simply will NOT pay the asking price from the publisher (not Amazon's fault). However, Amazon IS guilty of adjusting the book's price. On the product list page, its price is quoted as $24.34. Whereas in the "Best Sellers in Kindle Store", the "Best Sellers in Contemporary Literature & Fiction" and the "Best Sellers in Contemporary Fiction" lists it is quoted as costing only $17.99 - a price you cannot actually purchase it for though (I tried). All the links lead back to the product page and the higher price of $24.34. What's the game, Amazon?

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 6:29:23 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 27, 2012 6:30:15 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 4:45:33 AM PDT
trish8 says:
I agree with a lot of the above discussions. Expensive for an e book , and not bring able to lend this book out insane. I have bought many many books and then find out they cannot be lent out. That needs to be in description in kindle books. The convenience of having a ebook is great but the prices are to high for my budget.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 8:33:52 AM PDT
invisiblgirl says:
As much as I loathed this book and loved HP, I hope she never writes about Harry Potter again, unless she truly feels inspired to do it.

Overpriced CDs led to Napster and such - the publishing industry should take note. When you can get something legally at a decent price, most people aren't going to bother with dodgy sites and potential legal consequences - it's not worth it. (I'm not saying it's right to steal something because it's overpriced, either. I'm just saying that people do.)

Fortunately, 'The Casual Vacancy' is so bad, the price is not likely to inspire people to find a way to illegally download it. Hopefully, those of us who did pay the ridiculous price for this book can warn off the rest of the herd.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 4:38:39 PM PST
Julie says:
This theory that digital copies are much cheaper is a fallacy. As an experienced book editor, I know that the cost in publishing a book is only partially do to paper printing costs. All of the manpower needed to track and edit manuscripts, then create and deliver well-formatted print AND digital files is the main cost of producing a book (not to mention high-profile author fees and marketing costs). If you do not want to buy a book, that is of course totally up to you, but the kindle price is not necessarily a reflection of greed but real costs. Of course, publishers can be greedy like any large business, but overall, e-book costs can be just as expensive as print book costs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 7:29:41 PM PST
I do believe most people expect an e-book to be cheaper. I willingly pay more for a 'real' book because I am still, and probably will be forever 'attatched' to a book in real paper. The smell, the look the feel, the whole experience is different in a rather romantic way, no matter what kind of story i might read. But i think the true disgruntled of these posts, thought the book too high in price whether an ebook or paper. The publisher seems to be pricing high because of the fame of the author. if she had written this book first, no one would have thought she had any talent!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Casual Vacancy forum
Participants:  75
Total posts:  100
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about