Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoors Gift Guide on PlasmaCar

on April 8, 2005
Dell is a trusted name in the industry and after we've used Dell computers since the early 90s, the top of the line Dells are the best performing and most reliable PCs out there, which are also competitively priced. This 19" Ultrasharp Flat-Panel monitor with its thin frame around it is a true 19" inch. It is crisp with no glare even in daylight -- I'm really positively surprised. As I'm spending 10-12 hours per day in front of the screen, staring at it, this Flat Panel works extremely well and easy on my eyes -- no more tears, etc. Its also light weight and it seems very sturdy with all kinds of adjustment features (incl. tilting in virtually all directions) to place it as comfortable as possible right where you want it. The colors are also really superb. Like with everything else we've researched a lot of monitors before we bought this Dell 1905fp UltraSharp and it seems to be the best unit for the money. In order to be comfortable working or having fun with/on the screen, make sure you're getting at least the 19" and the UltraSharp version which is just the perfect format and everything else as mentioned here, and it's also a very stylish futuristic unit. This monitor worked right out of the box and my PC recognized the hardware immediately automatically and adjusted it accordingly by itself. Excellent Flat-Panel Monitor!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 7, 2005
This is my fourth Dell monitor and they have all held up well. I got this to use as my primary monitor replacing my 21" Dell / Sony Trinitron CRT. While it is slightly inferior in specifications to the Trinitron in a few areas, it more than makes up for it in other areas:

1.) It has a much smaller footprint than the CRT and this means more desk space.
2.) My guess is this weighs 15 pounds with the stand, my 21" CRT weighs 70 pounds
3.) LCD uses much less energy than a CRT
4.) LCD emits much less heat than a CRT (great as I am writing this on a hot August night)
5.) Much more mobile than a CRT
6.) It looks really cool with its sleek, modern styling

This is a great monitor and you get much more in terms of features compared to the models you will find at your local big box store. Look at all the features I list below and you will see few if any of these features come on the typical models sold at the brick-and-mortar stores.

The monitor has four USB ports built in (two on the back and two on the left side) and this is very handy. You can never have enough of these and I keep my computer under my desk so the ports on the monitor are much easier to access. It also keeps cords from getting tangled up by allowing me to keep some items above the desk and away from the computer. The stand also has a nice cord management spacer built in.

The stand is among the best I have seen and it pivots and tilts. You can elevate the display about a foot with the sliding stand. And you can easily tilt the monitor up, down and to the right or left. It can even be rotated 180 degrees to a portrait mode with ease. It offers both DVI and SVGA connections so you can have two computers hooked up at once (one digital and one analog). If your video card supports it, the DVI connection will eliminate the flicker problem many CRTs experience.

The actual screen area is 11.85" in height and 14.82" in width (175.6 square inch viewing area and 1,310,720 pixels). For comparison, the viewable screen on my 21" CRT was 12" in height and 16" in width.

The 250 nits brightness is plenty bright and the 800:1 contrast is superior to that found on much more expensive models. The only area for improvement is the 20-25 ms response time, but it serves my purposes well as I never play video games. These displays are also made in China or Mexico instead of Japan where Dell's better monitors were made in the past.

You can download a free program named Dead Pixel Buddy (just Google this) which allows you to test for dead pixels on your display, and mine had zero when I ran the test.

Dell has a great return policy and although others complain, I find the outsourced customer service in India to be helpful whenever I need them.

Dell also makes some nice widescreen models, but I'd check to see if your video card can handle them before you consider those models. This one is a no-brainer and you just plug it in and Windows XP recognizes the monitor.

I got mine for just over $200. You have to be patient when buying a Dell, they run great specials around the end of their financial quarter.

I also recommend getting the sound bar for this monitor. The monitor has a power plug to input the sound bar into. It is silver, attractive and complements the monitor well. It snaps onto the bottom of the monitor, is about an inch long and runs along the length of the bottom of the monitor.
on August 24, 2005
I have liked the technical performance of this unit for the one day I have had it, but nothing in the factory-sealed box said what warranty I would receive. Everything stated was carefully hedged gobbledegook. I called Dell and they told me I would have to "look to the reseller" to provide any warranty. They were outright dismissive since I hadn't bought it from them. I checked with the (highly rated) seller, and they called Dell and received the same message. The seller suggested I send the unit back to them for a full refund, saying they wouldn't want a monitor with no warranty either. I am doing it. I guess now that Dell is the "big guy", it feels arrogance is OK.
on June 8, 2006
I got this Monitor yesterday well actually my brother got a 24in and gave me his 19in.IT WAS THE MONITOR OF MY DREAMS.Here are the reason why I love this monitor.1 It has a nice high resolution 1280*1024.2 This moniter gives off much less heat and that is really important for me because my room feels very uncomfortable when its hot.3 Uses a lot less energy than a regular monitor.4It fits perfectly on my desk and is very stable becuase of the smart design of its stand.5 You can put it into portrate mode but sometimes you need special drivers for the graphics card thats what I had to do to get portrate mode to work.6 I had a lack of USBs but now I have 6 ports total and I really needed more ports.7 The price on this this thing when we bought it was ONLY 300 DOLLARS!!!!!8 I have three different games F.E.A.R. Hitman Bloodmoney and Battle Field 2.The games look great now that I can set the resolution higher, but I need an upgrade on my computer preformance which will be coming soon.So I love this monitor and I'm planning to keep it for four years.
VINE VOICEon December 26, 2005
I just received this monitor. It was easy to assemble right out of the box. The stand feels stable and allows for multiple adjustments including rotation and height of the screen. The actual display is very bright, I have noticed no dead pixels, text and images are sharp. It allows both vga and dvi style inputs. It also has several usb ports on it. The only thing I would comment on, is that gamers would likely prefer a monitor with a faster response time as I noticed a small amount of imaging ghosting with fast motion while watching "The Aviator." This was really not terrible and hardly noticeble with the dvd other than the fact that I was looking for it, but with some games, I suspect it could make some very fast moving games with lots of darker colors un-playable.

Overall, I am more than satisfied.
on May 4, 2006
I've had my Dell UltraSharp 19050FP for about 14 months and I'm still very happy with it. The price has come down considerably since I bought it. In fact, it's so low I might buy a second unit and put them side by side. The bezel is thin enough that this would work well.

I like the swivel stand and ability to easily change the height. Although it was easy for me to change the screen configuration to Portrait mode using my Graphics card software, I had some problems in doing so and had to use a system restore to resolve the issue. This may not be Dell's issue.

There are two monitor inputs: one digital and one analog. This really worked out well for me as I also have two computers at my desk. All I have to do is push a button on the monitor to toggle between inputs. The monitor also has 4 USB ports. This has been very useful for me as more and more peripherals are USB. They are also more easily reached than those on the back of my computer. All these cables make rotating the monitor 90 degrees slightly more difficult.

The configuration is done with three buttons on the front panel. Since there are only three buttons plus on/off, they are straight forward to use. They include Brightness, Positioning, Image Settings, Color Settings, OSD Settings, Language, Audio, and Factory Reset. I use 1280x1024 resolution at 60 Hz. For me, this resolution and screen size are very nice. I don't have to squint to see the text as I have to do with smaller screens at this resolution. I also get a large work area.

I don't play high action games with the monitor but I do watch video podcasts and have been happy with the quality. For some of the videos, the colors seem slightly washed out when comparing the picture to that of the same video viewed on a nearby TV used as a monitor for my computer. However, photos that I use for backdrops on the monitor are stunning.

The only thing I don't like is the dust that can build up along the beveled edge. This could be more the technique of the duster rather than the monitor but it can be slightly aggrevating.
on November 26, 2005
Most reviews have shown how great this monitor is for most computer works.

But it's worth it to point out that this is not for any serious gamer. And yet, for some movies when things moving fast, you can see the ghost of the image and the whole screen is blurry.

Also, as most LCD monitor, it has some trouble displays dark color, specially true black.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 2005
I've been using this monitor for over 4 months already and I can't be more satisfied with my purchase. I believe it was a great investment. It has radiant colors at its native resolution (taking into account that I am using it with its analog input, who knows how it will look with it's digital one!). It is easy to install and to control. It even comes with some magnificent extras: usb ports and the ability to pivot, tilt and rotate. It may not be the one that consumes less power among the bunch but it does do some miracles with energy savings with 60 watts at most. This monitor will free a lot of space in your desktop, free you from all the cathode-ray radiation and lower those electric bills! It is a must get!
on April 3, 2009
I only use the computer for some picture editing, web surfing, and my homework. So if you just want a nice monitor for normal use this is a good one. The feature I use the most is the two USB ports that is on the bottom left side of the monitor. When I bought the monitor the USB port was what got me to buy it.
It also has a good range of adjustments. It turns, tilts, and raises up and down about 6 inches.
Had the monitor for about two years now, no dead pixels, no problems.
on September 14, 2012
UPSHOT: great monitor. Sometimes, older technology is better.

* Easy to get the documentation from Dell, also drivers.
* Plug and Play, and intuitive, so you don't HAVE to get the drivers and documentation.
* USB ports make your modern big external hard drives run reliably, for you can plug into the monitor's hubs on the side -- rather than into the back or front of your computer. This facility alone makes it worth buying, and fortunately there are a lot of vendors here at Amazon.
* Refurbished is good, for a monitor. You want that.
* All of these models (from 1700 - 1900) which are hubbed (not all are hubbed), are height adjustable, and rotate to landscape or portrait mode (I use Landscape).
* They run digital or analog. The latter is still important, for hooking up to a netbook.
* Price here at Amazon is surprisingly cheap.
* This line of Dell monitors are capable of staying on long days and yet still work fine. Reliable.
* You got good video cards? Fine. They can read 'em. Reliable. As for HD clarity, well I make HD Youtube videos using these monitors; the quality is just fine. View Amazon Prime Instant Videos and XFINITY TV just fine. Youtube, just fine. Play DVDs, just fine. Any LCD monitor suffers from viewing angle differences, such that if the angle is wrong, the monitor seems black, when watching DVDs. But since you can adjust the height, tilt, and the monitor is easy to move -- you can overcome the native LCD problem.

* So above all, besides the hub advantage -- EASY TO MOVE AND POSITION. I'd buy these monitors over the new big ones, any day. It's all the rage, now, to get big hunky monitors. That's fine, for watching TV on a sofa. Not so fine, if you want to get work done on your PC. For, as you probably learned by now, hooking up stuff to your PC is a nightmare: the outlet is wrong, the cord is wrong, or whatever -- so the PLACEMENT you wanted, is always subject to change. Now you see the advantage of the smaller, more mobile, monitor. For a 17" or 19" Monitor is small enough to move around a lot.

Now, to more details, tips, and a few complaints.

This is such a plucky little monitor. I got it the first time back in 2005 with my then-new, Dell 8400. Loved it. But, I operated it wrongly, and caused it to burn up. Here's what I did wrong: I did not hook the upstream (curved end) USB port at the back of the monitor, to the computer. You are SUPPOSED to plug one USB cord from the monitor's back down to your computer's USB port, to power the monitor hubs. Then, you can use the hubs with your peripherials. They are 2.0.

If you don't do that step, you end up burning the monitor hubs and USB cords, after a few years' daily use; eventually, the monitor's screen will start to display gray lines alternating with white, which seems like a video card problem, but is not. Oddly enough, the things you connect to the hubs, still work fine. So that's why I didn't know what I'd done wrong. Of course, had I READ the instructions (duh), I'd not have made that mistake. So that's why you can know this is a plucky little monitor. It gave its life to power those ports.

So now, I bought three of these babies from Amazon over the past year, each from different vendors (most notably, from Crate to Crib). And now, I hook the upstream USB cord TO the computer FIRST, before powering on. So the hub works great, and the monitor will last.

Again, I like mobility in a monitor, and for that you don't want something larger than 19". When I want to stand to compute faster, I simply move the monitor to a shelf. When I want to sit, I move the monitor back to my card table. When I want to hook it up to my netbook, I do that. See: placement varies with how you use your stuff, and you will want to create a modular placement so you can use ALL your equipment with the least amount of hassle. The smaller monitor offers you the ability to DISCONNECT the cable easily from the back of the monitor, and move it to hook to something else. Or, you can have one digital cable going from your monitor to your computer, but the analog going to your netbook, and switch between them.

Resolution in monitors is often a problem not due to the monitor, but due to Windows defaults. MS just doesn't care about good defaults, hence that narrow Arial type we're all stuck with, in websites. But you can change all that. How to get a good Windows desktop display in XP and prior? Trick is to set XP Windows Display Properties to maximum resolution, and in Properties Appearance Effects, to select Clear Type, not standard. So if your monitor's graphics seem less than sterling, esp. for text -- make those changes. Oh: and use Comic Sans MS, Franklin Medium, Deja Vu or Gill Sans MT for your default desktop and browser font face. (I don't know Win7 equivalents, sorry. I will never upgrade past XP.)

Again, the other big selling point for a monitor like this, with 4 USB hubs, 2 on the side: your bigger external hard drives (500 GB and higher), run better. They are persnickety about power load, if not self-powered. They don't share power well on a standard PC. So you in effect isolate them on a different hub, if you plug them into the monitor hub like I do. They sleep properly, wake properly, copy properly -- because they're not on the back of a computer with 6-8 USB ports, all clamoring for a share. Plus, the short distance between peripheral cord and monitor hub, is less of a problem.

Now, for complaints.

The one drawback with Dell monitors is the clunky monitor adjustment interface buttons on the front; happily, you get used to adjusting them. Suggest that unless you changed your Windows theme to off-white and sand or olive to ease eye strain, that you instead tweak the monitor to make that horrible XP glare blue and glare white, a tad more matte-like. You do this by adjusting the monitor's own brightness and contrast, and you can even tweak its color palette. Whew. So now you have created your own color theme, independent of the tyrannical and always dysfunctional, Windows defaults.

Oh: if you have XP Home, when your monitor goes to sleep it doesn't just black out. It instead bounces this really ugly (Win8-style) color box around the screen, in 1907FP, 1707FP. This problem doesn't happen with XP Pro.

Another longtime complaint about Dell monitors: its buttons die young. On the 1905FP, the ROUNDED TOP button did begin to stick, after three years. Solution is to rarely use the button, and instead change your power mode to turn off the monitor after 20 minutes (Windows bugs out at lower settings, and often won't power down). But if your buttons are flat (and sort of concave), then you likely won't have this problem.

So, that's why I bought three of these monitors (new or used) from Amazon over the past year, rather than get a faster, newer, allegedly spiffier model. Again, sometimes older is better. :)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse