Customer Discussions > Mad Men: Season 1 forum

1960 New York, 1960 America?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 11, 2008 12:49:36 PM PDT
Vincent says:
I thought Season 1 of Mad Men was brilliant and it left me wanting more. Can anyone recommend any books (fiction or non-fiction) that I can delve deeper in this forgotten 1960 era? Outstanding movies set in this era would be great as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2008 7:28:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2008 7:32:30 AM PDT
Eddie Kasica says:
Start here:

New York 1960: Architecture and Urbanism Between the Second World War and the Bicentennial

An amazingly beautiful and moving book. (Moving because that NYC is long dead, replaced by something foul, narcissistic and humorless. See "Sex and the City".)

The more time passes, the more golden and romantic that time seems. My Kennedy Era movie list:

"Days of Wine and Roses"
"Breakfast at Tiffany's"
"The Hustler"
"Psycho"
"The Birds"
"Too Late Blues"(if you can find it)
"Advise and Consent"
"Cape Fear"
"The Ladies Man"
"Manchurian Candidate"
"A Child is Waiting"
"Lilies of the Field"
"The Nutty Professor"

And don't forget the music! IMHO, a good argument can be made that the artist who caught the melancholy, mystery, humanity, and romanticism best from that time was Henry Mancini.

To be honest, I really don't think "Mad Men" is so special. Lots of style, little substance. Yes, they get the rooms and clothes and hairstyles and magazine layouts right(big deal, all that takes is a trip to the library), without capturing the emotional and human ways of that time. These "MM" characters could just as soon be a bunch of current ad-Yuppies, set in a very stylish agency. (And since Bloomingdale's has set the "Mad Men" clothing style as the style for this upcoming fall, walk into any ad place in a month or two and that's exactly what you'll find. Including the new smoking fad.)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2008 9:37:48 AM PDT
porkchop says:
They sampled "Sex and the Single Girl" for this show.

Goodbye, Columbus by Philip Roth

Something Happened by Joseph Heller

and Breakfast at Tiffany's

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2008 12:48:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2008 12:59:02 AM PST
kirac says:
You should watch The Apartment with Jack Lemmon. Set in the 60s, it best exemplifies the time period; MadMen best shows the decade of the 60s in modern adaptations. However, it places the dual-nature of feminism in the country at the time in a negative light. Women were not respected in the 60's in certain workplaces; it's a fact. Contrastringly, my grandmother ran a private law practice during the 20's and Great Depression. She only stopped in the 70s because of health reasons. I have a direct source of a woman beating societal obstacles, and attaining the societal equality of a man. But I know that this tv portrayal of their strife is completely accurate. Thank God AMC was willing to test the PC triggers of most and continue with this phenomenal series. Smoking, racial and sexual slurs complete the attitude of superiority that permeate this wonderful modern series.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 4:16:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 4:16:49 AM PDT
"An amazingly beautiful and moving book. (Moving because that NYC is long dead, replaced by something foul, narcissistic and humorless. See "Sex and the City".)"

--Wait, what? Mad Men isn't foul, narcissistic and humorless? (unless you consider constant sexist comments humor).

Oh, nevermind. I read to the end of your post, sorry. I just really hate that these men act like pigs, and it's a great show, just because it's set 50 years in the past. Men identify with these pigs, and that's why the show is popular, not because of any real historical verisimilitude, and everyone knows it.

There were men like that then (there are now, there are just legal repercussions to their behavior), but they were pigs, and boors, and everybody knew it. They weren't heros, and weren't popular outside their immediate circle of friends. Women did not like being treated that way. They tolerated it when they didn't have a choice, but they got away whenever they could.

I suppose it's no different from romanticizing any other time period, like people who fantasize getting back-to-nature, and living and old-fashioned agrarian life, without realizing how back-breakingly hard it was, and how even harder it was back then, before tetanus vaccines and antibiotics. Except few people really try to become 17th, 18th, or 19th century farmers. I know people who think they can get ahead be behaving like the men on this show.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mad Men: Season 1 forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Jul 11, 2008
Latest post:  May 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Mad Men: Season 1
Mad Men: Season 1 by Jon Hamm (DVD - 2008)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (639)