Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on July 30, 2014
Every time I watch 1984, I gain new perspectives and a new appreciation for George Orwell's masterpiece. The critics weren't impressed of course as they felt it chopped too much and ended up with a plot line that progressed too slowly. That is what makes this film so great and explains why those too incompetent to be film makers become critics. 1984 cuts through the fluff and developed the salient parts of the storyline. They filmed in Eastman color and the developer processed the negative in a special way that made the visuals muted, drab and made Oceania made to appear even more ugly, and depressing than traditional B/W or color film cold achieve. Darn! Writing this has made me want to re-watch it again this evening which I will do without fail.

Crime & Punishment is well done "second feature" but cannot compete with 1984

Hope this rambling critique proves useful for prospective buyers, but it's almost time now for the main feature and gotta go..
on February 25, 2014
I bought this to have a copy of 1984, which I rate 4 star. I did not care for this version of Crime and Punishment, which I rate 2 star. The TV version with John Hurt as Raskolnikof and Timothy West as the inspector was the best I've seen, which I would rate 5 star.
on March 14, 2015
of course the movies are never the same as the books. and you can never pack in all the great things that you have in the book but this movie really does come close. John Hurt should have won an award for this movie. anyone who has never read the book definitely needs to see this movie especially considering we are living in these times right now! who knew when I read the book in high school the the content would actually happen in my lifetime. 30 years later here it is a little late but it's here nonetheless. this should be required reading for every single child or student in high school. I know it was in my high school. people need to educate themselves because the schools today are not going to do it. this is a great movie and in addition you get a bonus movie as well
on October 30, 2013
Not well known, these movies are rather different from each other in style and mood but well-made and engaging. What joins them aside from Hurt's performances are similar themes of grim social conditions calling for character soul-searching. 1984 was Burton's last movie.
on December 10, 2014
This version of G. Orwell's 1984 should be mandatory in every freshman's curriculum at high school level. This rendition shows Orwell's point about how people are politically managed is particularly artful. A gripping movie on its own.
on April 4, 2015
1984: When I first read the book, my imagination conjured up an audio visual experience exactly like this movie. All movies are adapted to fit a time frame and mostly screenwriters and directors must make tough choices what to leave out. I think they did well. The scene setting and art director’s reconstruction of the dreary landscape background greatly contributes to very real acting, that you rarely find nowadays, to make this a must see.
Although the story reminds of the communist hierarchy of totalitarianism, as does Orwell’s Animal Farm, the message of the book is emphasized in the movie which is very depressing and scary. If you pay close attention, we are already living in that era. With real world mind bending realities like North Korea, among other, already active for decades. I wonder how Orwell would have portrayed the follow-up: 2020 for instance, as played out in the “land of the free?”
on May 10, 2014
Ahhh, John Hurt. Will I ever see him in a role that I didn't enjoy?

1984 is a classic of course. And the main reason I bought this. Crime & Punishment meanwhile is thought-provoking (if strangely updated from what I can tell, though I haven't read the book so I can't say for sure) but Crispin Glover goes too over the top for my taste; I found it hard to take him seriously. The rest of the cast is worth seeing however.

This set is very bare bones -- there are no bonus features of any kind for either film. Still it's affordable and it's double the John Hurt for double the amazingness.
on August 2, 2013
1984 holds many parallels to the world today. Hard to believe it was written so long ago as it is exactly what we are heading for in today's society. It is a perfect example of "don't let this happen to us".
Crime and Punishment was OK.
on May 5, 2014
I haven't watched 1984 yet but did watch Crime and Punishment (which is why I purchased this dvd in the first place). Having read the book I wanted to see this version of the movie.Wow. I have to say that I have never seen a movie like this before. The main character does a staggeringly good job in his role. I really couldn't say that another actor would have done better. The plot too is unique (duh) but it's just surprising to see how novel the plot from this old book still remains given all the films that I have seen. The movie of course is philosophical and one will better appreciate the movie if they have at least a cursory knowledge of existentialism, Nietzsche, and D. Though this movie isn't a high-budget production, this almost makes it better as its an eccentric sort of film that almost has more liberty with less. This is such a peculiar movie that in the 5 different times I heard a swear word, the word had a completely different affect on me than they do in any other movie I have seen. At times the curse words seemed more powerful than normal. At other times it seemed the words weren't even good enough for the movie itself. I'll definitely re-watch this film. It's one of the few where you really get a sense for the psychological damage that can upon the mind of the damager. Finally, I will just note that due to the content and violence in one scene this film is for a mature audience.
on September 1, 2015
Don't waste one second on this pos movie. I got around 20 minutes into Crime and Punishment and had to watch something else, it was that bad. The acting seemed scripted and rushed. It didn't flow because all the lines were on queue, just a horrible beginning if nothing else. On the other hand, 1984 alone was worth the price.