Customer Discussions > Physical Graffiti forum

1994 Physical Graffiti Remaster

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 8, 2009 4:05:42 PM PDT
JP Ruggs says:
I don't like the sound on my copy of Physical Graffiti. I don't know if I have the 1994 Remaster or an earlier version. I want to buy the remaster if my version is the older one...how can I tell if I have the older version? (I don't have the original jewel case).

Posted on Jun 10, 2009 7:11:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2009 7:14:22 AM PDT
RegF says:
The best sounding version of P.G. is a Japanese SHM-CD import released in 2008 from , CD JAPAN and or HMV JAPAN. This CD sounds much better than the 1994 version. Some of the older versions sound muddy and PLANT's voice in buried in the mix. It is also cheaper if bought directly from , Japan.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2009 12:21:41 PM PDT
JP Ruggs says:
do you know if the 1994 version is any better than the original release?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2009 5:45:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2009 5:50:07 AM PDT
RegF says:
Yes , the 1994 version sounds slightly better than the ordinal release but it is not the best sounding version out there.

Again , the best sounding version is the 2008 SHM-CD import version from Japan. I have had all of those versions at one time.

The older versions have a silver background on the CD , where as the SHM-CDs have full colour CDs with the SWAN SONG logo on it. It sounds great.

MORE Robert Plant is up front in the mix. More key boards and bass. It is not muddy sounding and it sounds very clean and clear.

There is also a little more volume than the other versions but not too much.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2009 6:49:39 PM PDT
JP Ruggs says:
you're right...I got it and it sounds better, but there is still something not quite right. Well, I've already bought this album 5-6 times, one more wont kill me...I'll take a look at the Japanese version, although it's pretty expensive isn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2009 4:59:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2009 5:01:35 AM PDT
RegF says:
I know what you mean about the older versions. PLANT's voice is very low in the mix and it sounds like the first song from disc 1 is slowly fading in but it does get louder as the song goes on. The 1994 version isn't as clean and clear as the newer SHM-CD version is.

The JAPANESE SHM-CD of P. G. is slightly cheaper when it is bought directly from , CD JAPAN. I own 7 / LED ZEPPELIN / SHM-CDs from , CD JAPAN and they all sound much better than their 1994 re-masters. It also helps to hear these SHM-CDs on a stereo with more than 2 speakers.

I don't think that you will be disappointed with the new SHM-CD version. I wasn't. I LOVE my LED ZEP / SHM-CDs!!!

I can't wait for my RUSH / SHM-CDs to come in the mail next week.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2010 7:23:21 AM PDT
Jimbo says:
OK. I checked out SHM-CD from CDJapan. It says it "the audio comes from the 1994 remasters." BUT, from what I've read, the 90's remasters were terrible. So how is it that the SHM-CD is the best? What about the 2003/2005 versions?

I am just looking for the best sounding disc. I have a recording of the 80's cd, and it sounds awful - flat and tinny.

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 11:39:06 AM PDT
i'd be curious to know that answer too, Jimbo!

lots of audiophiles say the LZ remasters are terrible but i'm not sure if my ears/equipment will notice the difference/problem.

does anyone know if all Japanese versions of physical graffiti are SHM-CD?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2011 8:05:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2011 8:06:45 PM PST
RegF says:
Many Japanese pressings have the ordinal artwork and dates on the CDs. Japanese pressings and materials are usually much better than earlier remasters , now.

Remastering technology has improved a lot since 1994. The Japanese 2003/2005 versions don't sound tinny or muddy at all. They are also slightly louder than the 1994 versions.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2011 8:07:46 PM PST
RegF says:
You can get the 2003 / 2005 versions with out being on SHMs if they are still in print.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Physical Graffiti forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Jun 8, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 20, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Physical Graffiti
Physical Graffiti by Led Zeppelin (Audio CD - 1994)
4.7 out of 5 stars (900)