4.0 out of 5 stars An Above Average Hits Package.
Published on November 14, 2006 by A. Estes

3.0 out of 5 stars download problems
Amazon has good songs to choose from and a good price but in the recent past 90% of songs I've bought want download.
Published 21 months ago by cott

4.0 out of 5 stars An Above Average Hits Package., November 14, 2006
This review is from: 1996-2006 The Singles (Audio CD)
You wouldn't have expected any less, would you? Staind have officially been around for ten years. Five albums into their career, four of which are full of memorable hits, it makes sense that Staind are putting out a "Singles" collection. It also makes sense because like Cold, Nonpoint, Taproot and P.O.D. before them, Staind are apparently severing ties with their record label, Atlantic. What a perfect escape route!

Sounds Like: A contractual obligation.

The Good:

- Well, it's Staind and so long as you're a fan, these songs will always be good.

- Even if you own all the albums, there are more than a few extras thrown your way. In addition to the Family Values 1999 version of "Outside" replacing the rather bland studio version, there are also four live and acoustic tracks (three of which are covers!)

The Bad:

- The omission of "Just Go" (why do they always ignore that song?), "Fade" and "How About You."

Hits: Well, they're all hits, but for the fans, the acoustic numbers are where it's at. "Nutshell," an Alice In Chains cover, stands far and above the rest. There have been many bands performing this song in the past (I have recordings of Seether, Cold, Shinedown and Adema doing it) but no one has done it as beautifully and effortlessly as Aaron Lewis and company. "Sober" and "Comfortably Numb," Tool and Pink Floyd covers respectively, are great as well, in addition to the acoustic rendition of "Everything Changes." Hell, they even threw in a souped up version of "Come Again" from their 1996 indie album, "Tormented," in case you don't own it already.

Misses: Just the songs they left off.

Personally: I've been a Staind fan since "Dysfunction" and this collection does the band justice. I can forgive what they left out mainly because I own all that stuff already and because the unreleased material is worth the while. Few bands are as good with "Greatest Hits" as Staind are with this one. Highly recommended.

Best Listened To When: Ending a relationship with a record label.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Compilation, But Minus 1 Star For Missing Hits, December 5, 2006
This review is from: 1996-2006 The Singles (Audio CD)
Staind is definitely one of the best and most important bands in modern rock music. I've been a fan since '99 and have every album (including the out-of-print "Tormented" album). Any way, the band is about to take a year or 2 off since they've been recording and touring non-stop for 10 years. AND after only 5 albums, they already have a rather large bundle of hits and singles under their belt, so it makes since that they would release a "best of" compilation just in time for Christmas. Now normally when a band releases a compilation album, they might title it "The Best Of" or "Greatest Hits" which would suggest that only the biggest hit songs will be on there. But this collection is titled "The Singles: 1996-2006", so I would expect that every single would be accounted for. Sadly, a few singles and 1 big hit are missing from this collection.

First, let's start with what the album DOES have to offer. It begins with a remix of "Come Again" which was originally on the band's independently released "Tormented" album from 1996. It's cool to here if you don't own the album or if you wanna hear a slightly different version of one of the songs from that CD. Next, you have "Mudshovel" (the band's first big hit) and "Home" from their 1999 album, "Dysfunction." These are great songs, and you're certain to enjoy these tunes from the darker side of Staind. Then the popular "Break The Cycle" album from 2001 is represented with hit songs like "It's Been Awhile", "For You" and "Epiphany." There's also the popular acoustic version of "Outside" that lead singer Aaron Lewis performed with Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit during the 1999 Family Values Tour. Then, from 2003's "14 Shades Of Grey" you'll find songs like "Price To Play", "So Far Away" and "Zoe Jane" (which is a good song but I was never aware that it was a single.) Finally, last year's "Chapter V" album is represented with "Right Here", "Falling" and an acoustic version of "Everything Changes". However, the CD doesn't end there! For those hardcore Staind fans who already own all the albums, you'll get some bonus acoustic cover songs on here..."Comfortably Numb" (Pink Floyd), "Sober" (Tool) and "Nutshell" (my favorite Alice In Chains tune). These are very good acoustic covers, especially "Nutshell". They make the album worth getting if you already own everything else.

Now it's time to go over what this CD is lacking. First, "Just Go" from the Dysfunction album is no where to be found. It wasn't a big hit, but I do believe it got some radio play and may have even been the first single from that album...good song. Then from Break The Cycle, we don't have "Fade" (a VERY big hit for the band) or the studio version of "Outside" (which was equally as popular as the live acoustic version found on here). Next, missing from 14 Shades Of Grey is "How About You", which wasn't a big hit but it got radio play and just happened to be my favorite song from that album. And from Chapter V, they decided to put an acoustic version of "Everything Changes" on here rather than the studio version that was played on the radio. But I suppose this version is just as good.

So yes, this album is missing quite a bit, but only 1 or 2 major songs aren't found on here. It's still a nice compilation, especially for the bonus songs. As a Staind fan, I have to be honest that some of the band's best stuff never went to radio. I think after "Its Been Awhile" became such a huge hit, the record company kept forcing out slow ballads like "So Far Away" and "Right Here" in order to recapture that success (which may have worked). But I think it's too bad that Staind's REAL style (angsty hard rock) is barely shown on here. This album is a good introduction to the band, but it's mostly meant for the people that just follow whatever they hear on the radio. If you wanna hear some of Staind's BEST stuff, listen to their individual albums to here great songs like "Suffocate", "Crawl", "Pressure", "How About You", "Paper Jesus" and "King Of All Excuses".

4.0 out of 5 stars Five stars for the "new" fans..., November 15, 2006
This review is from: 1996-2006 The Singles (Audio CD)
I am a bit older(a classic rock fan before we knew it was going to be classic). When I purchase music from most of the nineties bands that I am only aquainted with from radio etc. I prefer to buy a greatest hits and delve into the albums proper if I am impressed with what I hear. This is one of those times. I am not going to make the usual comparisons to other bands or scratch my head over why a collection like this is issued by record companies or the like. I just like the music and that is what we listen to it for.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have!, November 18, 2006
This review is from: 1996-2006 The Singles (Audio CD)
This CD is perfect for any Staind fan as well as anyone that just likes great music. A decade of favorites and some excellent acoustic tracks from the Hiro Ballroom are included in this collection making this disc an enjoyable experience from beginning to end. I say it is a must have and I encourage anyone to pick it up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Staind's 10 Year Anniversary, December 4, 2006
This review is from: 1996-2006 The Singles (Audio CD)
It is kind of unique to realise that Staind has been around for pretty much 10 years since forming together as a band in the middle of 1996 with their first release 'Tormented'. During the last 10 years, Staind has evolved as a band, their music and individually as band members. It is great to see and hear Aaron Lewis' voice gather momentum and expand in range and emotional strength. For me 'Break The Cycle' was their best album with many songs becoming hits in their own right. There are several songs in this 'The Singles' release that are included.

1 song from Tormented, 'Come Again'

2 songs from Dysfunction, 'Mudshovel' & 'Home'

The first surprise of this album comes on track 4 which includes a Live version with Fred Durst of 'Outside' which is a better version than the album version. Fred Durst and Aaron Lewis sound great together and have a complex but good chemistry together.

5 songs from Break The Cycle, 'It's Been Awhile', 'For You', 'Epiphany' and 'So Far Away.

2 songs from Shades of Grey, 'Price To Play' & 'Zoe Jayne'.

2 songs from Chapter V, 'Right Here Waiting' & 'Falling'.

At the end of this album is what most fans will enjoy the most. 'Everything Changes' is sung by Lewis acoustically live in concert and his talented voice ranges far and very well acoustically. For me I enjoy acoustic Staind songs better. The final three songs are acoustically sung cover songs including 'Sober', 'Comfortably Numb' and 'Nutshell'. These three songs are a pleasure to listen with the sound turned up.

Overall this is a appealing album. It is definitely not the 'Best Of' but is a compilation of the well known singles of Staind with some added tossers that all Staind fans will love and truly appreciate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely GREAT!, November 22, 2006
This review is from: 1996-2006 The Singles (Audio CD)
When I first heard that Staind was coming out with a greatest hits album, I was a bit surprised because it hit me from left field. Once I heard that it included several live acoustic tracks from a "secret" concert held in NYC in September, I was very excited. (Of course, I was a bit upset that I missed that concert considering I was eating dinner at a restaurant upstairs!!) The CD has some great songs. Yes, they could've put a few more, but then it would just be a box set of all their CDs!

One of the tracks that shocked me was "Come Again". I was thrilled it was included because it gives new listeners a chance to hear Staind's older stuff. A very different and amazing sound! I would say that my favorite part of this collection is the live acoustic songs that were included. Staind sounds incredible acoustic. Their cover of Tool's "Sober" is breath-taking. The power behind Aaron Lewis' voice and the rest of the guy's instruments is phenomenal. There is a version at Best Buy that has a few Bonus Acoustic Tracks. This is a MUST HAVE for any true fan or new fan. Do yourself a favor and go buy it RIGHT NOW! YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, but "It's Been Awhile" is edited on download, May 13, 2008
This review is from: 1996-2006 The Singles (Audio CD)
I can't say much more than what's already been said by everyone - fantastic piece of work, indeed. But after downloading, I was disappointed to find that "It's Been Awhile" was not the explicit version, like the album advertises. I wrote in and it was explained to me that they don't have the explicit version of this song for download - just the radio friendly version. I got a credit, and that's fine, but wanted to give everyone a heads up on this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy with purchase, February 11, 2007
This review is from: 1996-2006 The Singles (Audio CD)
Why bother with making your own compilation CD, this Staind CD has it all on one disc and it was on my doorstep 2 days after I ordered. Worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pick up if you are new, add if you are an old timer!!!, November 15, 2006
This review is from: 1996-2006 The Singles (Audio CD)
This greatest hits really does do a good job on covering the span of Staind's career, getting some of the radio single hits, and utilizing most of the CD (16 tracks, mine has 18 with 2 bonus tracks from a chain store). This has all the hits like mudshovel, home, epiphany, outside, ect...but adds bonuses like Comfortably Numb (pink floyd cover, Sober (tool cover), schizophrenic conversations, and Nutshell (Alice in Chains cover). I can't give it five stars because it doesn't have songs like JUST GO on it, or a few of the others. Worth picking up, especially for a new fan. Old fans will enjoy it to, cause of the rarer acoustic stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penney!, March 9, 2007
This review is from: 1996-2006 The Singles (Audio CD)
I have never really been a big fan of Staind, however I have loved certain songs of theirs here and there, but I am an overall Alternative rock fan. So I came across this album and it had all the greats that I really liked plus a few I like from others in acoustic versions so I got it. Wow, this is one compilation that will be tough for Staind to ever overcome! I would say the absolute best album they have ever compiled! This rarely comes out of my CD player!

Jeremy

Jacksonville, FL

1996-2006 The Singles
1996-2006 The Singles by Staind (Audio CD - 2006)