5.0 out of 5 stars does not go to sleep!
I was looking for a Bluetooth receiver that would not turn off every 5 minutes. This one works great. as long as its plugged into the wall it will stay on. All I have to do in order to reconnect to it is going to the Bluetooth settings and choose to connect.
Published 19 months ago by Ryan Groth

1.0 out of 5 stars Sound cuts out randomly
Published 18 months ago by Chris Dragon

1.0 out of 5 stars Sound cuts out randomly, February 26, 2013
This review is from: WCI 2-In-1 Bluetooth Audio Music Streaming Receiver And Transmitter With 3.5mm Stereo Output - Connect Your PC, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Tablets Or MP3 Player To Speakers And Entertainment Systems, Home Or Car (Electronics)
UPDATE: I tried to listen to an audio book with my wife today and she said the sound kept cutting out so she missed bits. When we got home, I tried listening to music through my phone's bluetooth (not the WCI) to my headset. It cut out a couple times for about a half second in the first minute, then it was rock solid for about 10 minutes as I walked around and did stuff. Then I switched to using the WCI transmitter plugged directly into the phone with the cable it came with and I noticed a faint crackling and a lot of cutouts in the sound, some up to about 10 seconds. It didn't matter if I was moving or if I set the phone down and remained still. It gradually improved and after a few minutes the sound was solid with no crackle. Then a few minutes later the crackle returned and I got sound cutouts again. Thinking maybe it was my phone's signal interfering, I set the phone to airplane mode and turned off its bluetooth and wireless. Sound remained solid. I turned off the WCI and headset and then turned them on again to see if sound problems always occur immediately after pairing, but the sound was good for a few minutes so I gave up.

I tried again an hour and a half later and went through the same crackling and long sound cut out problem again (phone was still set to airplane mode). And again it didn't matter if I was moving or held still. Again the sound became solid with no cutouts after a few minutes. I was thinking this might be something like a capacitor problem in the WCI where it works well once it's warmed up, but at least 3 times I've had it return to crackling and chunks of silence after running solid for 5-10 mins, so I don't know. This is even with me sitting still with the headset two feet from transmitter sitting on a table. So, despite the positive reviews, it looks like I got a dud and I'm going to have to return the WCI and probably get a more expensive transmitter.

Back to the original review...

I want to be able to listen to audio books while I walk with my wife, so I was looking at three bluetooth mirroring devices:

Sena SM10-01 SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter

KOKKIA A10m (NEW Luxurious Black) MULTI-STREAM 3.5mm Universal EDR Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter/Splitter (can stream to 2 EDR receivers concurrently) for iPod/iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch/iPod Shuffle, e-Book Readers, Sandisk Sansa, Zune, Tablets, SONY PSP, N...

Interphone Dual 3.5mm Stereo Bluetooth Transmitter

The first one has good reviews but is very expensive. The last two had no reviews (though one now has a positive review) and the Interphone one claims to only work with Interphone headsets.

I don't mind wearing a wired headset and giving my wife the bluetooth, but the phone won't transmit sound on bluetooth when a wired headset is plugged in. I looked for an android app that might fix that but it doesn't seem to be possible.

So I bought Belkin Speaker and Headphone Splitter along with this WCI bluetooth transmitter/receiver. I plugged the splitter into my phone, plugged a wired headset in one side and the WCI in the other side and magic - we can listen to audio in a bluetooth and wired headset at the same time.

The headset I'm using is Jabra Extreme Bluetooth Handsfree Wireless Headset. but any bluetooth that supports A2DP or AVRCP is supposed to work. The manual also mentions that the bluetooth device must respond to pairing with one of the following pins: 0000, 1234, 1111, or 8888. If you have a device you can't set the pin on and it's not one of those pins, then I think you're out of luck. For me, pairing was as simple as holding the button on the Jabra till its light turned blue, then holding the button on the WCI for 7 seconds.

The WCI itself is 1 3/8" wide, 2" long, and just under 3/*" thick. It's made of black brushed metal with plastic ends, and the metal is rounded much like an ipod mini. It's quite light.

The WCI operates using one button that does different things depending on how long it's held down. Short press to turn on and pair with the last device it paired with. 5-7 seconds to enter pairing mode. 10 seconds to clear memory of previously-paired devices. 3-4 seconds to turn off (or it turns off automatically if it can't pair for 5 minutes). One button to do everything can be confusing, and it jammed halfway down once, which worries me, but we'll see how it lasts.

The button is flat and small but I could see it getting pressed accidentally in your pocket, wasting power if it was supposed to be turned off. In receiver mode, pressing the button briefly is supposed to play or pause, so that might be a problem if it was pressed accidentally. It doesn't come with any way to mount it or clip it to anything. You could stick velcro to it I suppose, or attach a clip using rubber bands or glue.

It has a switch on the side to choose transmit or receive mode. Once it's turned on, it supposedly ignores the switch until next time it's turned on, so at least you won't lose your sound by flipping the switch accidentally.

It has one LED that shines red for charging or low battery and turns off when charging is done. It flashes blue once every 4 seconds while paired or once every 1 second while searching for a device to pair with, or flashes fast while pairing with a new device.

Manual states that charging time is 2.5-3 hours, usage on battery is "up to 11 hours" in transmit mode, or "up to 6 hours" in receive mode.

The package comes with a fairly long (14"?) male to male 3.5mm audio wire and a shorter micro USB charging cable. It does not come with a wall charger so you'll have to charge it from your computer or buy a USB wall or car charger. The package is a cardboard box instead of a glued plastic clamshell, so it's easy to open or pack away again if you need to return it.

The manual warns not to try to replace the battery. Like with most Apple products, they want you to buy a new one in a few years when the battery dies, but unlike with Apple products, you're probably not going to be able to find a third-party replacement battery and instructions to open this thing up. So try not to let it fully discharge and don't try to fast-charge it on a 1 amp wall charger and it should last a lot longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars does not go to sleep!, January 16, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars great idea, great product, January 13, 2013
So far, so great. Pairs up easily and DOES receive or transmit. I've used it with a vaiety of headphones, my Galaxy 2, older Ipods, speakers etc. with no problems. Order 2 and you could turn most any thing into a Bluetooth Sound Machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy and simple device, March 10, 2013
I have bought a pair to turn my Bose QC 15 into Bluetooth headphones. After charging them, I paired them immediately. The the transmitter end was connected to my TV and the receiver end was connected to my headphones. Viola, they worked, stereo and all that. But that was where the pros part ended. It seems that they only work while not charging, though, I have not used them enough to know what it would take to drain the charges. I understand that the transmitter and receiver consume charge at different rates. I noticed at least once the transmitter one lasted for 8 hours. If one mostly uses it for a short duration of a few hours and don't mind charging it every day, it is a useful little gadget with a size of some typical phone batteries.

Update:

I have found out that it works while charging too. Sometimes, one needs to read the instruction. For some devices, the pairing requires some TLC and after some efforts I have hooked one receiver up with my old sound system and paired it with all my apple devices. Now I can play all things on my iOS devices on the stereo system that I bought in the 90's.

5.0 out of 5 stars great !!!, January 13, 2013
100 % perfect !!!! Excelent product. Easy for pairing with any device and Hight quality of sound. Thank you so much !!

3.0 out of 5 stars One transmitter to a single receiver, February 24, 2014
metalcollector (Fullerton, CA, US) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased four of these expecting to be able to transmit my ipod music throughout the house and yard. But was having problems - unable to pair more than one receiver at a time with the transmitter. In addition, i was having problems pairing the units and having them unpair when I attached the power cable.

I asked the seller about these issues and thought I would share his answers (see below). Doesn't exactly meet my expectation or needs, but they work nicely as pairs (eg, paired transmitters to a single receiver)..,,,

1. You can only send transmit to one receiver with one transmitter. That is the nature of Bluetooth. You can split the main signal , send it to multiple transmitters, then send it to multiple receivers.

2. You can charge and listen at the same time. You have to pair it after you plug it in as plugging it in kills the pair.

1.0 out of 5 stars pairing is difficult, every time I turn it on I have to spend 15' to 20 minutes trying to pair it with my cell phone, March 9, 2013
pairing is difficult, every time I turn it on I have to spend 15' to 20 minutes trying to pair it with my cel phone. Once it does, if it disconnects, I must start all over again, really not worth the trouble. My other bluetooth device is impeccable and pairs infallibly with my cell when I use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! Does exactly what I hoped, April 4, 2014
I use this device (in "receive" mode to stream music from my phone (using bluetooth to the device) and to my stereo (using aux plug). I also use this device when I go to the gym. I switch the mode to "transmit" mode and I plug it into the treadmill outlet while watching the treadmill tv and I send sound to my bluetooth headphones. Love it! Why are so many people running on the treadmill with wires dangling, when they can run with no wires?

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfect easy to pair., December 12, 2013
Zachary Novak (Jackson, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
Worked to a Bluetooth speaker from my DirecTV receiver. Charged it for an hour and that paired it immediately no issue, stays connected, no background noise.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too slow to keep up, June 11, 2013
This device works but it cannot seem to keep the audio coming in sync with the show being watched. For music I suppose this would not be an issue but I bought it to pair with a friend of mines hearing aid device and it couldn't keep in sync, constantly lagged behind the show we were watching. It is cheap and it performs that way. Don't waste your money on this go with a higher quality model.

Rate and Discover Movies