5.0 out of 5 stars Square Trade - Doesn't Warren Buffet own it !?
Published on September 14, 2010

3.0 out of 5 stars Warranty Comparisons A Bit Misleading
The AT&T cell phone warranty comparison on SquareTrade's web site is a bit misleading.
Published on June 19, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Warranty Comparisons A Bit Misleading, June 19, 2011
This review is from: 2-Year Smartphone Accident Protection Plan (Above $400) (Wireless Phone)
SquareTrade claims that the two year cost of the AT&T warranty is $244.76, and that theirs is $174.00. While this is true, what they don't mention is that AT&T will cover the phone for one loss per year, so if you damage your phone in the first year, and again in the second year, you can pay the deductible and receive a new phone each time. SquareTrade will only repair/replace the phone once in the two year period according to the fine print in the warranty. So, if you were to damage your phone twice under AT&T's contract, the total cost would be $119.76 (cost of 2 year contract) + $250.00 ($125. x 2 deductibles) = $369.76. With SquareTrade, if you damage your phone in the first year, and they replace it, you would have to purchase another warranty at that point. This would cost $174($124+$50 deductible) x 2 = $348.00, which is actually a savings of 6 per cent, not the 70 percent that they imply. The fine print in the warranty says the SquareTrade warranty doesn't start until 60 days after the purchase, whereas the AT&T contract starts at the time of purchase. No, I do not work for AT&T, I have an AT&T Android with the warranty and went to SquareTrade's website to compare warranties. They are also a little deceptive in their description of coverage, as AT&T's warranty also covers accidental damage, water damage including full immersion, etc. AT&T also covers loss and theft, SquareTrade does not. For me personally, the loss or theft option is very important. I'm not saying that SquareTrade is a bad choice, as I would definitely consider them for a protection plan, but I do like to see honest appraisals from honest companies. Moral of this story...always read the fine print, it's tiny for a reason.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just Plain Bad, November 13, 2013
While SqureTrade wants you to think the process will be easy to receive a fixed phone, they have a lot of people deceived or are paying off reviewers.

I had caused water damage to my phone, so I called SquareTrade to get it repaired. After the $100 deductible for the incident I received a shipping label and placed the phone, original cable, and original power cord into a well padded box. When SquareTrade received the phone, they "fixed" it in a reasonable time, however it had already been a week since the process started when I received the phone back.

Unfortuately as soon as I turned on the phone I was having multiple issues. Yes the phone turned on now, which it didn't before, but I'm pretty sure they didn't check a single other problem. The screen acted like I was pressing in 10 places at the same time and the signal was completely gone.

Calling up SqureTrade again, they said that I would have to send the phone back again and they would do a re-repair. At this point I asked if I could get another phone or at least get shipping expedited since it had been over a week since I had a working phone. They said no, but that they would be sending a fedex box that I could ship the item in.

Unfortunately the slowly shipped box has taken 4 days to arrive and SquareTrade decided that they needed an in person signature for an empty box! At this point I can't get the box and SquareTrade won't let me print another label.

It has been over two weeks since this incident started and I am extremely frustrated with their lack of care for the warranty that I paid for.

So if you're expecting to be up and running within a few days of damaging your phone... THINK AGAIN, it would be better to set aside some cash from each pay check as a "personal insurance" to pay off another phone if needbe in the future.

My recommendation is to **stay away** from SqareTrade and never do business with them.

I'm wondering if the people who are rating this warranty 5 stars are people who never put a claim in.

3.0 out of 5 stars SquareTrade is Excellent with Exceptions, September 12, 2013
First off, I've been using SquareTrade since 2007 with the first iPhone. They ARE great, however there are a number of things that you need to be aware of being getting a warranty with them. For phones, they have 2 classifications: iPhone or not.

iPhone
======
The easiest way to analyze this is to compare against the AppleCare+. AppleCare+ gives you same 2 year and $50 deductible, but there are some differences.

Apple will OVERNIGHT you a NEW (or refurbished) phone before you do anything and allow you to swap your SIM card, move any data around and then once you're all ready to go, ship the old one back in THEIR packaging. You get a fresh NEW phone with new battery, screen, etc. You also have option for swapping immediately at Apple Store.

SquareTrade gives you 2 options: fix or swap. If you choose "fix", then you'll print out a packing slip, use your OWN packaging, have it shipped to their centers GROUND shipping (slower), wait for it to get fixed and have it shipped back GROUND shipping again. You get your FIXED phone (not new) back after 10-14 days later (not same/next day). Your second option is to ship it to them and they'll immediately ship you a replacement. Note I said "replacement". Its someone's "fixed" phone. The last time we did that (couple years ago), we got back a unit that while it had a new screen, the battery was failing and it didn't work very well. Yes, we could've gone through the process AGAIN and MAYBE got a better one, but that's no fun.

Winner: Apple by a Landslide!

Non-iPhone
==========
We purchased a $250 Nexus 4 from Google and I immediately bought a SquareTrade plan as I've used them numerous times. Then I looked at the details... $100 deductible! So, if I were to file an accidental claim and they were to give me the retail price it'd cost me $100 for the warranty + $100 deductible = $200... for a $250 phone! Basically, I'd be selling them my damaged phone for $50. And that's the BEST case scenario.

Don't forget that if its in the warranty period, Squaretrade isn't going to touch it - they'll tell you to call the manufacturer. So, instead of a 5 day repair, you might have months of back and forth with the manufacturer if it fails in the warranty period. So, basically Squaretrade only covers factory failures in the second year. Is that really worth $100 just to get coverage for a potential damaged connector that might be a $30-$50 fix?

Summary
=======
I have dozens of warranties with SquareTrade, so they are good, but you need to think closely before buying. Understand what they cover and not and understand what that high deductible means. Screen repairs aren't expensive and even if the digitizer needs to be replaced, it shouldn't be more than the $200 you're going to spend here. It might be worthwhile if the retail price of your phone is $650 and if you think SquareTrade won't be able to fix it - just realize its their option. They no longer promise the "cash for any claims" like they used to like our first iPhone when they paid $600 when the screen broke.

5.0 out of 5 stars Square Trade - Doesn't Warren Buffet own it !?, September 14, 2010
A Kid's Review
The first time I was introduced to Square Trade (SQT), I was helping a female friend of mine to find a good deal on a netbook.I shopped around and found one she was happy with, and she insisted that I get her an extended warranty with damage protection also.I believe that we purchased the netbook through Amazon, and we bought the SQT extended warranty with damage protection. You can guess what happened next .... within two months of having the netbook she put it in a satchel with her water bottle. The bottle opened and the computer was drenched and ruined. She called SQT and faxed them her purchase receipt and in a matter of days she received a check in full from Square Trade.I now have my new Motorola Droid X insured and several other things. Verizion's phone insurance cost more with a big deductible also and they only give me a refurbished phone of the same model.But the SQT plan would pay me what the phone cost new and then I can go out and buy the latest, greatest improved phone. Richard P , Miami

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst customer service in years...., March 27, 2014
Alan (Tustin, California) - See all my reviews
My story is simple:
Purchased SquareTrade insurance for Sprint Galaxy S4 for my wife's phone. When the phone was damaged, contacted SquareTrade for replacement. After 40 minutes on hold, we were connected to a call center overseas. We requested a white phone and they assured that they would send the white phone; they sent a black one several days later without the back included (after all, you said the SCREEN was broken). Contacted SquareTrade and they said that they do not have white phones available. When we then tried to activate the phone we were told that it was "Not released for transfer of ownership." I have now been on hold with SquareTrade for the last 60 minutes listening to their hold music with a repeating message that says, "Your approximate wait time is 1 minute." (Addendum: after three hours on hold with the message saying "Your approximate wait time is 1 minute," I concluded they were never going to answer).

Sure, you can have a damaged device replaced eventually, but this is, by far, the worst customer service I have experienced in years...

PS: I am cancelling my other SquareTrade warranties and recommend strongly against anyone trying to deal with this company. If you have a SquareTrade warranty, cancel it now as you are wasting your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought two years insurance but they actually only cover 1 year, February 1, 2014
Don't pay for 2 years insurance with Square Trade. If something happened to your phone less than a year, Square Trade will ask you to refer back to manufacturer warranty and the company wouldn't accept your claim. That means for the full 2 years payment (I paid upfront at Samsclub) I only have 1 year customer support from Square Trade. My Samsung Galaxy Note 2 has a battery draining issue, and neither Sprint nor Square Trade will take care of it. If I return my current phone back to Samsung, it is going to take a while before I am going to have a phone back when I am in the middle of something that I need my smartphone badly. The ads from SquareTrade about no question ask, is just another marketing gimmick. Next time, I will just buy my insurance straight up with Sprint or whichever phone company I am buying a phone from and that way I can get a REAL insurance coverage through an actual person instead of e-mail or phone with somebody that asking me to call manufacturer of the phone.

3.0 out of 5 stars purchasing convenient, September 16, 2010
I've received an email with incentive to write a review, though I feel woefully ill-equipped to do so.
I've bought my warranty from Squaretrade but have yet to file a claim, so I don't feel like I've totally experienced their service yet. I mean, really, I've just given them money. Sure it was an easy and painless process (don't buy a warranty from them without first googling around and finding a 20% off coupon - they run them all the time), but that's not saying much - that giving them my money was relatively easy.
In the event that I need to file a claim, I'll update this review to reflect that experience.
Since buying my squaretrade warranty, though, I've learned about a competitor, Worth Ave Group, who may offer a better deal as their warranties are a little more expensive but also cover theft.

2.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable Price - Very Slow Service, May 23, 2013
M. Neace (Monmouth Junction, New Jersy United States) - See all my reviews
Got this service for a new AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4. Less than 10 days later I dropped the phone, from the couch, onto a wooden floor and when I picked it up the screen had spiderweb cracking. So, I sent it into SquareTrade for warranty repair. Shipped it on the 14th of May. Today is the 23rd of May and according to their website it's the 5th business day and it was supposed to be repaired by today. It's not. It is 9:00pm in California right now and nothing new. Has not been repaired and has not shipped.

I don't know about you, but I use this phone for business. Using this service was a huge mistake. I can't be without a phone for nearly two weeks like this. It takes less than an hour to replace a screen on a cell phone. This is inexcusable.

If you are an occasional user of your cell phone then this is okay. Otherwise, go with the carrier plan and get the thing fixed/replaced fast.

Update:

It is not the 24th of May and their website still says it has not shipped. I called and it was indeed completed yesterday and shipped, via UPS next day air, and it will be here today. So they did meet their 5 BUSINESS day turn-around. But again, it should not have taken 5 business days to replace a screen. I will not be using this service ever again. I cannot afford to not have this phone for 10 consecutive days. Today is day 11.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible customer service, March 6, 2014
They use to be great, but something changed in a BAD WAY!

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!! What happened Square Trade? Sent a phone in for repair - received it back in the SAME BROKE CONDITION - AFTER i was told (by email even!) that they would be sending a payout for the phone.

Trying to followup I have made 4 phone calls. 3 calls with no action at all - only an unfulfilled promise that someone would call me back and maybe they had an internal glitch. The fourth I finally got a supervisor who said he would waive the deductible - as if this was a new claim! (I've already paid it!) and they could either fix my phone or give me a another one (not the same brand even) and that payout was never an option! Sounds like the company has created new procedures to save money and cut customer service!

DO NOT BUY A SQUARE TRADE WARRANTY!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Warranty bad service, December 7, 2010
First let me say that square trade is a great warranty for your money. I would recommend them however they need to improve on some aspects of claim process. First I sent my item in as they said. There was no way for me to update that this process actually took place. i.e. a place in the claims section to input the tracking # that UPS provided me. 2nd when I sent it in, Square trade didn't bother to update that they received it, when in fact they did. Next when I was reimbursed they said they sent me an email with the gift card for Amazon. Did I get it? No and as of this email I'm still waiting (called twice now for it). Like I said I'm happy they backed the warranty however you will be in the dark on some of the steps (i.e. from the 2nd you send it in until you get your money or item back).

Rate and Discover Movies