5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Advice From Someone Who's Been There...
Published on June 11, 2006 by Benjamin P. Goodman

1.0 out of 5 stars Outdated approach and misleading title
Published 23 months ago by Victor Hugo

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Advice From Someone Who's Been There..., June 11, 2006
This review is from: 2 Years to a Million in Real Estate (Paperback)
In spite of the inspirational title this is NOT a get rich quick infomercial style real estate scheme. You feel the author's pain as he describes the tenant who doubled his water bill filling up the neighbor's pool. Then he explains the micro-economics of how that increase in expense effects his property value. As a real estate broker with a good grasp of the market, I found that he does both an excellent job describing property investing fundamentals, but then applying them to specific properties. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful Information to Reference for Future Real Esate Deals, March 25, 2007
D. Luchansky (Point Barrow, Alaska) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2 Years to a Million in Real Estate (Paperback)
I think Matthew's book is a good read for the beginning/ intermediate real estate investor. I am 33-years-old and pretty well versed in real estate, having my RE license in CA and having done probably 3-4 personal deals, but the book opened my eyes to some new ideas. For example, Matthew elaborates on a plethora of unique ways to fill a vacancy, how to evaluate in detail potential investment properties, different ways to get financing for down payments, etc. He also lists a ton of other real estate investment books to reference.

I think the main thing I have come to realize from reading his book is that cashflow is king. Building a million dollars in equity really is not the point. Receiving a nice monthly cashflow stream from buying the right properties is what it is about. After I read his book I started evaluating certain investment markets which showed me that you can realistically have probably $50k- $200k to put down and be able to cashflow $1k- $4k a month, which I personally would consider a pretty nice start. And if you're worth a million and own the right cashflowing properties? Well, I'll be writing a book like Matthew at that point!

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING book and Here is Why....., January 1, 2007
This review is from: 2 Years to a Million in Real Estate (Paperback)
Like most people considering buying this book, Matt did not start his real estate career with a large sum of money for down payments. He did not receive gift loans from relatives; he was simply the average American with a day job and no huge savings.

His principle is based on leverage and using OPM (other peoples money). To the skeptic and beginners the last sentence might read something like "His principles are based on taking HUGE RISKS" but this is not true. All successful real estate investors use significant leverage. But the key, which he explains is having the knowledge. Risk, is therefore, simply having a lack of knowledge on the subject and Matt is the bridge maker who will close the gap for you.

The great thing about this book is that it is "Fluff Free". Matt does not just give you a basic principle and then follow with zero detail (which is a major criticism of the great Robert Kiyosaki books). Instead, all 182 pages are packed full of "need to know" information. There are even several appendixes after the 182 pages that give you quotes, further suggested readings, and samples of letters/forms you will need in your own real estate business. I took notes the entire time I read this book and ended up with 20 pages in Microsoft Word, this book is the real deal.

One last word. Undoubtedly, like anything in the world there will always be a few skeptics. Scattered throughout all of the positive feedback on Amazon you will see a comment or two of criticism, do not let this scare you. Everyone has heard the old cliché, "misery loves company" so don't fall for into these people's traps. If you take the time to read this book and take action on what you have learned success will be inevitable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Outdated approach and misleading title, July 23, 2012
This review is from: 2 Years to a Million in Real Estate (Paperback)
Unfortunately for the reader, Mr. Martinez gained all of his real estate knowledge during the housing bubble of the early 2000's. His story and tactics all revolve around using equity in current properties or the sale of current properties to finance the purchase of additional real estate. During the housing bubble when real estate prices were increasing at 20%,30%,40%+ per year and lenders were giving out loans with little or no down payment, this approach could work wonders. However, now that home prices have flattened out or even plummeted and lenders are requiring 20% down with verifiable income and perfect credit, Martinez's methods of property procurement are completely out of date and virtually worthless.
Martinez also briefly describes how to effectively manage income producing properties. While not entirely out of date, I found the material to be extremely general and with no real substance for someone who is actually trying to be a landlord.
Don't be fooled by the title. If you are interested in spending your hard earned money and valuable time getting into rental properties, look for books with more substance and more current information.
On the plus side, it is a quick read, has some inspirational quotes and hidden amongst the fluff are a very few interesting tips. Pick it up at the library if you are still interested.

2.0 out of 5 stars But is it credible?, November 2, 2007
This review is from: 2 Years to a Million in Real Estate (Paperback)
The book follows the author on his path to success through real estate management/investment. When I reached the point in the book where the author made his first real estate investment purchase in the summer of 2002 I paused to consider the housing market he succeeded in. With a copyright of 2006, the author must have generated the bulk of his successes between 2002 and late 2005/early 2006 - heady times for the real estate market. His claim that the book will "... teach you how to duplicate my achievements..." is questionable given the present housing market. If he were starting out today would he have achieved so much so fast?

The book is easy to read and I like the way points are summarized at the end of each chapter. I'm just concerned that someone whose advice is based upon an experience gained during very favorable housing market conditions might not hold up under tougher times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful reference book, November 23, 2006
This review is from: 2 Years to a Million in Real Estate (Paperback)
I simply can't say enough about this book. I consider it a MUST read for anyone thinking of buying a rental property, or even if you already own a couple of rental properties. I am not going to bore you with long descriptions of this book, because you can already find that on your own. I will say this. I have read nearly 30 real estate books over the last 2 years, this is by far one of my favorites. The spreadsheet analysis example given on page 56 of the book is invaluable to any real estate investor in my opinion. As I write, I am currently looking at a quadraplex. With Matt's spreadsheet analysis I am able to accurately predict if the property makes money!! And as an added bonus, the author is a class act and true professional. He even answered an important real estate question for me. What more could you want!!!!!

Todd Veeck...

5.0 out of 5 stars If you would like an "Expert/Mentor/Friend" to go with you when you buy your first property, take this book with you!, August 7, 2006
This review is from: 2 Years to a Million in Real Estate (Paperback)
In the past few years, I have bought, read, underlined, and then shelved a large number of real estate books geared to those who want to begin buying real estate "part-time ~ if I could go back, this is the only book I would buy.

I am a successful businesswoman who is now staying home to raise my kids, and this field seemed to be the most interesting road to staying in business while not committing all my time. But...having read all the other books, I still didn't feel that I had learned what I needed to do to pull the trigger and make my first investment. I have often wished that I had my own "mentor" to coach me and do the deal with me, as I was still not quite confident enough to go forth and invest. Reading Mr. Martinez' book, I feel like I have that mentor with me, not only telling me exactly what to look for, but how to evaluate it, how to do it, and through his experience, what to look out for. Reading his book, I have now had the confidence to make my first purchase!

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Martinez right before his book was published and found his wealth of experience far belies his age (late 30's). His business acumen far surpasses many people twice his age, and his down-to-earth manner makes him readily accessible and willing to share his experiences and guidance. Early in our discussion I asked him, quite seriously, if I could just give him my investment money and have him put it to work for him/me, and just as a true mentor would, he told me that I could make so much more for myself if I just did it myself! He offered to answer any questions I had, and told me that while the first property may seem like the largest hurdle, once done, I would be on my way to real estate confidence (and income!). His mentoring (via the one-time meeting and much more importantly, this book) has paid off in my first real estate purchase!

Every STRONG real estate investor (those not did not just ride the real estate wave and/or are now going under in the challenging real estate market) will say that they had a mentor, someone who took them under their wings and helped them. Let Mr. Martinez' book, "2 Years to a Million in Real Estate" be that mentor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, May 10, 2007
Talal Ahmad (Iselin, NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2 Years to a Million in Real Estate (Paperback)
This is a must book for any Real estate library. The great thing about Mathew is that he is relatively new in the real estate business as compared to some of the millionaire veterans. Its much easier for a newbie to connect and identify with Mathew in that respect.

The book is a very comprehensive and lays out the details on almost every issue pertaining to Real Estate.The book provides all the key tools and ratios needed to make a calculated and educated decision.

Mathew tries to make a very valid point: cashflow is king and you cannot survive in this business for long without cashflow. I think its still possible to have cashflow even after the real estate frenzy. There are tons of great properties out there in areas like Austin, Dallas which have tremendous apperciating potential and cashflow too.

On the whole highly recommended book. I am just waiting for his new book to hit the stands.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read with practical steps, February 27, 2007
djdto (American Canyon, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2 Years to a Million in Real Estate (Paperback)
This book is great. Matthew is not your typical get rich guru (although he got rich quick), he's more like one of us: going to work and paying the bills. He decided that there was more to life than this and took matters and real estate investing into his own hands. His book also differs in that rather than investing in single family homes he focuses on multi-unit buildings. There are few books out there that cover this topic for beginning investors. [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly All You Need to Get Started in Real Estate Investing!, January 25, 2007
J. Servida (Haverhill, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2 Years to a Million in Real Estate (Paperback)
Best and easiest book I have read in Real Estate Investing. Honest, well-organized, FULL of useful information. I have truly taken this book and is now running with it. The author includes formulas that allows the investor to determine whether a property is worth investing in or not. I was surprised to find the same formulas being sold as an "Analysis Tool" CD by another popular Real Estate Millionaire author for $250!! This book cost me under $20 with Amazon discount, I think..and it gave me all the same info as in the $250 CD! Happy RE Investing!

2 Years to a Million in Real Estate
2 Years to a Million in Real Estate by Matthew A. Martinez (Paperback - May 12, 2006)
$21.95 $14.35