5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know why this thing isn't more popular
When I use my laptop, I just don't like to use the touchpad. It's difficult to maneuver, and especially when I am dragging something, I always seem to have problems dropping things or not being able to let go of the things I am dragging. So I wanted a small USB mouse to go with my laptop.

I bought a small (cheap) optical mouse with a retractable USB cable, and...
Published on August 24, 2008 by KK

2.0 out of 5 stars Close But No Cigar...
It takes a bit of getting used to. The best way I've found is to strap the velcro ring to your middle finger and hold it like a pencil. The interface is kind of interesting with the right/left/scroll controls at your thumbs. This is a great device for reading blogs/scanning pages as can easily scroll up and down with a click of the thumb.

On the other hand, I...
Published on June 30, 2009 by Michael S. Flak

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know why this thing isn't more popular, August 24, 2008
KK (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2-button Ergonomic USB 800dpi Optical Finger Mouse (Personal Computers)

I bought a small (cheap) optical mouse with a retractable USB cable, and although it worked for a very short time, the wire started to have jittery connection, and that frustrated me more than anything else, I quickly gave up, and I was looking for an alternative. When I was buying a cheapo bluetooth dongle for my old HP laptop, the vendor I bought the bluetooth adapter had this strange looking "finger mouse". The item was cheap enough ($10) so I ordered one. The mouse came in a blister pack, but the packaging was very cheaply made. I was worried that I may have overpaid for this cheap looking thing. Nothing was wrong with the product itself once opened, but if I saw this in a store, I may not have even tempted to buy one. It looked that cheap.

Anyway, once I opened the package, this little miniaturized night scope looking thing came out, and I put in the USB connector to my PC. As soon as I connected it to my PC, the mouse lit up with red laser, and the PC recognized it as an optical mouse, and it was ready to be used in a few seconds. For some reason, I was so surprised by the amount of light mouse was emitting from the red laser. I checked the package picture, but the red light seems so faint in these pictures. If you own one of those optical mouse and flipped over the mouse, you'll see the laser area (I think the light is actually very bad for your eyes, so avoid looking directly at it). That's what this mouse has on one end. It actually makes sense, but I just didn't connect the two together. But that means you could be shining a red light to someone else's eyes with this mouse, so you'd have to be careful when you have this thing attached to yourself.

Then I wrapped the velcro band around my index finger to use this thing. In my first attempt, I wrapped velcro around my finger so tight, I was cutting all blood circulation to my finger. So I loosened it, and started to use the mouse. Ok. My thumb had to move far to press the button, and my thumb could not reach the scroll wheel. Moving the middle finger slightly to rotate the mouse helped, but that made my middle finger sore. Also the movement of the mouse is cumbersome (the mouse is attached to your finger by this velcro and there are a lot of movement, but you would want to hold the mouse to steer it), and I was not really liking the experience since top side of my index finder was getting sore after only 5 minutes of use (by being rubbed by the mouse). So I grabbed the mouse like I do with a pen, and that would actually place my thumb at a perfect position to press the buttons and use scroll wheel. Because the optical element is probably the same as any other optical mouse, so the mouse can be used on pretty much any surface, except something too glossy (like a glass and mirror, or white laptop's casing...), and top of my trousers or jeans, my left arm, brown lunch bag, anything really would work as a mouse pad.

Since I changed the way I hold the mouse (the way it is shown in the picture with velcro around the index finger is just so ergonomically horrible... The package does tell you NOT to use it for more than an hour, since it could cause permanent nerve damage!!) this little mouse has been just incredibly easy to use. The mouse is very easy to navigate and maneuver, almost easier than a regular optical mouse. I had to file down two little feet that are sticking on the other side of the buttons to make it easier to hold. Since then I've removed the metal wire (I guess it was holding the velcro in place??) and velcro, and use it as a travel mouse. I think whoever is manufacturing this thing should keep the same design, get rid of the horrible velcro and take out the two little feet sticking out... I just don't know why this thing isn't more popular, really. This is a perfect mouse on an airplane, train, even cars, or one of my most frequently used place, on my couch. For $10, I'd recommend this to anyone who owns a laptop. Much better and easier than one of those tiny trackball things, or so-called "pen mouse" things... But just don't use this product as advertised on your finger for a long time or you'll risk nerve damage to your finger!

Well velcro is one of the problem, but another problem is the red light. Because the light is always on regardless of whether the mouse is on some surface (so that the light isn't escaping), I keep flashing myself with the light. I don't really mean to look at the light, but I can't help it. I hope it had some kind of switch to turn the light off when it's not in use....

So all in all, even with above mentioned problems, I'd rate this with 5 stars. I think this thing is innovative enough, and with a slight modification, it could be an excellent product.......

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite useful, November 26, 2007
This is a great travel mouse. I can use it on any surface, including my pant leg or the palm rest of my laptop. The learning curve isn't bad; took me about 2 minutes to get used to the angle and tilt. It's really compact, and I can type on the keyboard without removing it. It saves me alot of time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Find for a Laptop Geek, January 29, 2009
The price of this item is so reasonable that if you frequently use a laptop, I suggest giving it a try. It lets you use a mouse rather efficiently without a mouse pad or hard surface. It also lets you type a bit while wearing it. I wouldn't use it if I had a lot to type, but it's great for surfing the net.

2.0 out of 5 stars Close But No Cigar..., June 30, 2009

On the other hand, I had to take it off to write this review since it really impedes typing. This makes it impractical for most tasks. I used it alot the first week I got it (out of obligation perhaps) but found it being tossed to the side since I had to keep taking it off and on. Pressing the right/left buttons is more of a struggle than it should be. Lastly, the optical beam is obnoxiously bright. When you

I'll leave with this...it has its virtues and it will impress your techie friends. However, I wouldn't buy it with the expectation that it will replace your traditional mouse. Not a bad product, but not particularly useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way Beyond Expectations, January 7, 2012
When I'm getting something that's shipped from China, I automatically have my doubts. When that thing is less than 4 dollars WITH shipping (which happened to be free) I'm a little bit more apprehensive. Well, I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas from somebody. I used it to buy a very decent tripod and a camera case. I had a few dollars left over, and saw this little wonder. I didn't expect much from it. I actually expected it to be a cheap piece of crap that breaks after a few minutes of use (or doesn't work at all). But for 4 dollars, I thought I'd take my chances.

Well, this came almost a full two or three weeks before it was expected to get here. That itself put a smile on my face. However, it was a in small, rather vulnerable packaging shipped through China Post from Shanghai. I must say, it has been a wonderful experience. Some other reviews have noted the brightness of the mouse's light. They're concerned because on regular optical mice, there is a laser built into the mouse that you should avoid direct eye-contact with. However, the reason for the brightness of this light is because it's an LED light. Mine happens to be blue, others have noted that theirs are red. You should avoid staring at it since it's a very bright light, but you need not be overly cautious. Treat it like an LED flashlight. You normally wouldn't spend a minute staring into the blazing light, but you also don't freak out if it shines in your face for a moment.

Now, regarding the usage of it. It is really wonderful. There were no instructions included, but it took me a whole of 30 seconds to figure it out. For other mice, optical or the rather outdated ball, you need a flat surface for the mouse to work. Even on some flat surfaces, the mouse will be jittery or won't work at all if the surface doesn't fall under certain standards (color, uniformity, reflectiveness for example). With this mouse, you have no such problems. I can use it on the palm of my opposite hand, on my pants leg, on a table, on the palm rest of a laptop, and any other surface I've tested. You can hold it like you might hold other mice, with your whole hand, though you'd operate the mouse buttons and scroll with your thumb. If you do that, you just set it down when you're going to type. It has two little legs (about a centimeter each) on the side opposite the mouse buttons so you can rest it on that. You can also use the Velcro to mount it on your forefinger, using your thumb once again to control the mouse buttons and scroll. If you Velcro it, you can just type while it's still on your finger.

It takes a little bit to get used to fine-tuning your mouse movement, and I wouldn't use it for gaming, as it isn't as precise as other mice. But for other day to day routines, it works very well. I am extremely pleased with this mouse, and for $3.88, I doubt I could have gotten any other product that would be as useful as this.

Side-note: With the LED being so bright, you could easily use it as a flashlight if you wanted to read in the car. It just needs USB power, which means you don't actually have to plug it into a computer for the light to turn on. There are many adapters that allow you to feed power through a USB, as many products, phone, iPods, etc. can charge through a USB. There are wall adapters and car charges for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold in palm of hand, May 3, 2009
Forget about using the velcro. Instead, hold in palm of hand and operate scroll wheel and clickers with thumb. Laser works well on small{less than 2" square} flat, fabric surface of chair arm-just lift mouse about 3/4" off the surface and with 3 strokes you can move pointer all the way across screen. I don't know why these aren't more popular for web surfing as using it is virtually effortless.

1.0 out of 5 stars I should have known better..., February 19, 2012
I thought it was an interesting product and if it actually worked it would be a nice addition to my computer peripherals. I should have known better. The cheap price reflects the product's quality. It actually fell apart in my hand the moment I took it out of the envelope. Among it's other failings I list:
1. The velcro strap that attaches the piece to your finger only fit my pinky finger and not the index finger where it belongs.
2. The strap feed is flimsy and always comes undone or breaks off as you close it.
3. Not very accurate. This is definitely not a precision pointing device.
4. When you attempt to click either mouse button you end up moving your finger slightly and this slight movement translates into
the pointer moving away from the correct position each and every time (the scroll feature is the only decent feature when
mouse position isn't an issue).
5. It is money lost because returning it actually costs more than the original purchase price and shipping combined.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh.., July 12, 2010
This is not a bad concept for a product, but the quality is a bit crappy. You have to hold the optical lens basically on the work surface before it will work. Not ideal. I give an A for effort, but the execution and actual design sucks. I would not recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as designed., February 2, 2009
This is a handy and inexpensive way to casually surf the net on an ultra-mobile PC like my Asus Eee 900 PC. I love the scrolling action and I'm learning more and more what I can do with a right click. The red beam is bright but can serve a purpose if it's dark and you don't have a lighted keyboard. Can't be beat for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for laptop use, August 27, 2009
I've had this mouse for a little over 7 months now, and I absolutely love it for my laptop. It works on various surfaces, including jeans or khaki pants, so if you're sitting in a love seat, you can just use your leg to mouse around on.

My only complaint is that the wheel doesn't click, but that's a minor inconvenience compared to using the nearly worthless track pad on my laptop.

2-button Ergonomic USB 800dpi Optical Finger Mouse