Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 1 Gallon (10"x14") Mylar Bags & 300cc Oxygen Absorbers For Dried Dehydrated and Long Term Food Storage - Food Survival
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 11, 2012
These mylar bags are of high quality and have had no problem holding the food we put in them like beans, rice, pasta, quinoa, sugar, salt and dried veggies. The oxygen absorbers are also of high quality with a indicator pill included with the bunch. We opened the bag of absorbers, used about half and put the rest in a small mason jar with the pill. Initially, the pill was turning the bad color meaning that the oxygen absorbers wouldn't work but within a few hours of being in the jar the pill turned the proper color again. We did a second round a few weeks later and the same thing happened so the packets can take being exposed to the air for a very brief period as long as you store them in an airtight container. My husband and I sealed the bags together using my hair straightener... this worked extremely well! The sealing process definitely requires two people, one to hold taught and one to heat seal.
*Just a tip, we found the the more we filled the bags the more vacuum sealed they looked. The company says they don't have to looked vacuum sealed because Nitrogen can remain in the bags and seem like air but all oxygen is actually gone. I believe them but there is something more satisfying about seeing the bags looked vacuum sealed so you KNOW there is no oxygen in there!
22 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2011
Excellent for emergency food storage, a cheaper way than purchasing prepackaged dried fruits, grains, and legumes from emergency supply stores. A hot iron on polyester to cotton setting seals your food and oxygen scavenger in the bag, which you seal only ¾'s of the way, roll to squeeze out any remaining air, then seal the rest of the opening. When stored in a cool environment such as a basement or cellar the Mylar bag conforms more to your food, like a vacuum seal. I've stored dried fruits, lentils, beans, rice, coffee... keep in mind anything with oils that can turn rancid will have a shorter self life such as peanuts and brown rice, but beans can have a shelf life of up to 10 years and more...

[...]

I still purchase Mountain House brand freeze dried meats, since I don't have the equipment to dry and store meat correctly. I agree with the comment made below that the oxygen absorbers "could" have individual wrapping to keep them fresh and from reacting with the oxygen in the environment, but to address this issue I store mine in a sealed Mylar bag! Great purchase, priceless to campers and survivalist who want to save money with "do it yourself" food storage!
22 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2011
These bags are very convenient, easy to seal with just a clothes iron, and durable. The only complaint I had was
that the oxy absorbers were a little on the old side; leaning more to a purple color. They should be blue when you get them; if they're pink they no longer work. But as mine weren't yet pink, I used them up quickly and they worked fine. These bags are great for diy long term food storage.
on November 23, 2012
I didn't realize until I got them that I have no idea of how thick the mylar is. It's not mentioned anywhere and when you open the bag and hold it up to the light you can see right through it. I'm assuming it's about 3.5 mil but it could be less. This will really lessen the life expecancy of whatever you put in it. I had to re-pack about 40 percent of the bags as the 300 cc oxygen absorbers didn't get the air out (with perfect heat seals) which leads me to believe that the pink eye detectors aren't working because they were all pink. I won't be buying these bags or absorbers again.

For anybody serious about storing products you should make sure it's at least 5 mil thick. If you're using these, you should put two absorbers in each mylar bag.

One tip, if you use a rolling pin and hold the bags lengthwise and run your hot iron down the middle you can create two pouches in each bag. I also store small items and run it crosswise creating as many as six individual pockets that you can cut open one at a time. Saves alot of money on the smaller bags. Just make sure you put an absorber in each pocket you create. Six pockets = six packets.
44 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2011
I'm happy I found this seller. It's nice being able to bags with oxygen absorber together. I do wish however, the absorbers were 400cc, because I have been taught every 5 gallon needs 2000cc so wouldnt that make 400cc for 1 gallon? Not sure if it matters much, guess I'll have to find out. Great product, thanks!
on January 11, 2013
I don't normally complain about products. Simply said....I do not like these Mylar bags. They are way to thin and puncture very easily. I will not order these again. My own fault for not knowing you should use 5 mil thick or higher for LTFS. (long term food storage) These bags are only 3.5. Don't know what I will use the rest of them for.
on January 11, 2014
Perfect for us.
I seal 9/10s of the way with a hair flat iron on 250. (300' is to high)
I use a tube and an air mattress pump to suck out the air in last space and seal up. Haven't had any fail. Hoping they never do
So far not even the rice extremely vacuumed into a brick has punctured Mylar
Awesome price
on July 31, 2012
I've purchase from this seller in more then once. I always aks for my mylar bags to be 5mil or greater, however this time when i got then they we're 3.5 to 3.7562 mil. Not what i wanted. I'm keeping them because i can always use then for spices or something soft. Not good the stored rice, pasta or anything that might damage the bag!!!
on March 27, 2013
Perfect for most items although if you are facing things with sharp edges, a freezer bag liner will help the mylar resist punctures.
I love that the O2 absorbers come with them, I never have to worry about having enough or running out.
on August 16, 2014
I have used all but three of these. They seal up easily and well with a simple clothes iron. The absorbers have worked perfect even after having opened the sealed package and placing in two zip locks for 6 weeks. Usually within a few hours, or sooner, you can see the effects of the absorbers on what you package. They seem to work great for dried food stuffs(rice, grains, etc) as well as items such as medication and multivitamins.