4.0 out of 5 stars Sound Information - Not Exactly New But Still Good
Bob Greene is a very knowledgeable personal trainer and nutrition expert. His previous books have been very good, partly because he includes help from experts in the field. This book also brings expert advice from others.

Published on April 28, 2011 by Bill Cashell

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money.
Save your money. And whatever you do, don't join the companion [...] website. Beware of the 30 day trial. I signed up and they were supposed to inform me before the $49.95 renewal fee was charged to my card. I never received an email and now I can't get a full refund from them. They will only refund $30. Beware!!!
Published on July 7, 2011 by gntander

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money., July 7, 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Book if you have been in a coma for 20 years, May 4, 2011
Talk about restating the obvious. Eat well,exercise get plenty of rest and don't stay out in the sun too long. There I just saved you 20 bucks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too old?, May 29, 2011
I read this book with enthusiasm...UNTIL I got to the part about age. Apparently I am too old (72) to participate in this. Wish that recommendation had been advertised! I think I'll ignore the age issue and proceed. What do I have to lose besides weight?! JP

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing that Your Mother Didn't Tell You Already, July 7, 2011
After reading 20 Years Younger, I have a few additional pieces of advice for people who feel that they benefitted from the book:

1) Look both ways when you cross the street. Getting hit by a car can subtract years from your life.

2) Wear your hat, scarf and mittens when you go outside in the winter so that you don't catch a cold.

3) Don't strain your eyes by reading in the dark.

4) Remember to brush your teeth after every meal!

Seriously though, it's amazing how many people will shell out $20 for a book that tells you absolutely nothing that you shouldn't already know (I read it over in a bookstore but decided it would be useless to buy it).

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately I fell for this one.... Thanks, Oprah!!, May 12, 2011
Save your money, people. There is nothing new between these pages that we haven't already heard ad nauseum: diet, exercise, sunscreen, sleep. That's it!! Arrggg Oprah, you did it to me again!! This guy is raking in the money. I'm 30 and in good shape, so I'm not really the target audience. But I'm obsessed with all things health-related, so I was hoping for a nugget of newfound knowledge. Seriously, if you're really considering buying this, just let me know and I'll send you my copy. So annoyed right now... Two stars for stating the basics, for the 1% of people out there who don't already know it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just another diet book., June 23, 2011
Big (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Just another diet book. Not to my liking. I purchased the book because my freind told me it was a good book. Not for me. Save your money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Silly title and nothing that isn't already on Google, May 6, 2011
Of course, we KNOW we can't look/feel/be 20 years younger, but you'd think Bob would make an effort to "pay off" his silly book title.

But he never does. This is just another book filled with the advice of: Exercise, eat right and sleep well. There is ZERO "new" information or insight here. You can find it all on Google/The Internet.

Seriously, this is a real disappointment. (Glad a friend lent it to me so I didn't have to pay for it.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing but a rehash, September 5, 2011
Gentleheart (Sierra Nevada Mtns, California United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Same old, same old. Nothing new here. I am sooooo glad I checked this one out from the library instead of buying it. Bob Greene is stuck somewhere in the past. If you learn anything new from this book, good for you. There was not a single bit of information that I have not heard elsewhere a hundred times over. SAVE YOUR MONEY!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound Information - Not Exactly New But Still Good, April 28, 2011

Greene introduces a basic four-part anti-aging system consisting of regular exercise, healthful nutrition, skin care and restorative sleep. You probably already knew these would help, but you may not know why and how. The book presents several theories on why we age and what we can do to reverse its effects on our minds and bodies.

Green is big on exercise and stresses it in this book. In some ways this reminds me a lot of the book "Younger Next Year". Of course, diet is the second part where he recommends avoiding saturated and trans-fats, sodium and refined sugar while adding "superfoods" that are touted to boost energy and longevity. Step three is skin care (use sunscreen) and step four tells the benefits of sleep. The final chapter provides an eating plan with recipes for blueberry oatmeal pancakes, sweet potato and turkey Shepherd's Pie, and other healthy dishes.

I have enjoyed Greene's previous books, and this one is well written in a very readable style. It may seem a little short on substance and really doesn't introduce anything new, but it does a good job of reinforcing why these simple steps are important. I would like to see a fifth step dedicated completely to stress reduction, which may be the greatest aging problem. It is mentioned in parts of the book, along with a having a positive attitude.

If you are looking for ground-breaking ideas for turning back the clock, try the Dr. Oz show. If you are looking for sound information to help you understand ideas that you may already know, you will probably enjoy this book. If it gets you to actually apply these 4 steps, it is probably worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Must Read, May 18, 2011
What I Can Tell You: While there was nothing ground breaking on why we age or the benefits exercise, diet and lifestyle have on aging, I found it to be a good book. Bob does a good job of breaking down the program into four steps.

Exercise: We all know that exercising makes us feel better but with Bob's plan, he incorporates loads of variety and alternatives to maximize the benefits while keeping it doable for the average person who can't fit in a full workout. He also tells you to do only what you can do. Exercise is a commitment to self and many of us still don't know how to do this. Most people, mostly moms, put everyone else first so as a mom, I appreciate the line, "take on as much as you can handle at a time." I must admit that since reading this book, I have done morning stretches before even going to make the coffee and feel so much better for it. My spine is happy.

Eating/Diet: I hate writing the word diet which is why I put eating first because I don't mean diet as in diet to lose weight. I mean diet, as in what you eat. Bob's plan has a nifty little chart based on how to get your daily calorie level. It is broken down by what you are trying to achieve (i.e. a woman who isn't looking to lose weight) and your activity level. There is also a great chart on How Much of everything you should eat based on your calorie level. I was most interested in his section on The Science of Calorie Restriction and how and if it works. Ummm....

Recapturing Your Skin's Youth: Bob isn't talking about creating an illusion with makeup but actually turning back the clock. Bob uses a polish (exfoliation)-cleanse-nourish approach. I love his line, "there is no need to spend extreme amount of time and money on your skin." I am all for that. As a drugstore moisturizer buyer, this sits very well with me. While he doesn't tell you the best one to use (he is either coming out with his own, or hasn't partnered with anyone yet), he does tell you that your "polisher" should be a superfine, nonabrasive and possibly contain sea minerals, etc. A good polisher is worth every penny.

Your cleanser should be gentle enough to use on your entire face including your eyes.

Your Nourisher (not moisturizer) should contain an antioxidant, vitamins and anti-aging ingredients.

This entire section of the book is worth the cost of the book alone!

Rejuvenating Sleep: "Sleep is like the air we breathe; we need it to be healthy in virtually every way, as well as to be safe." Enough Said!

20 Years Younger: Look Younger, Feel Younger, Be Younger!
20 Years Younger: Look Younger, Feel Younger, Be Younger! by Ronald L. Kotler (Paperback - April 10, 2012)
$15.99