5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than flowers!
Published on February 20, 2012 by Vonne

1.0 out of 5 stars The charts might be good....
I bought this book solely because I wanted to make the snowflake motif. I am a new crocheter (I have only used crochet in conjunction with knitting in the past) and this was my first project. I knew I could find snowflake patterns for free on the internet, but I figured a book like this would also make a good resource for the future.

Well, the snowflake pattern...
Published on December 21, 2011 by Rachel Courtney

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars The charts might be good...., December 21, 2011
This review is from: 200 Crochet Flowers, Embellishments & Trims: Contemporary designs for embellishing all of your accessories (Paperback)

Well, the snowflake pattern has errors in the written out instructions that make it impossible to do correctly. The chart is correct, but I am new to following charts and needed the written instructions for backup. The written out instructions are also confusing and hard to follow even when they are right; this was confirmed for me by an experienced crocheter who helped me with the pattern. She called it the worst-written crochet pattern she has ever seen. She also looked at the pattern next to it in the book and said that has an error as well.

I was able to figure out, by looking at the chart and photo, how to make the motif correctly. But I could easily see a pattern of this caliber scaring someone away from crocheting entirely. A pattern that I paid for, in a published book, should not have such glaring errors, especially when those errors show up in two randomly selected patterns in a row. I will be returning the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than flowers!, February 20, 2012
This book is packed with fun! In addition to a wonderful variety of flowers ( and leaves) there are patterns you can use to finish work with delightful edgings. There is a whole chapter that includes 50 patterns for making crochet fabric ( think blankets and shawls). If you are a "granny square" nut you will love the chapter that includes 50 different motifs - squares, hexagons,circles- from lacy and floral to geometric, that could be turned into an afghan ( for joining crochet motifs see the front of the book "help" section) or used to make or decorate many craft items. Each pattern comes with a sharp,color photo of the finished design so that you can see the stitch detail. Under this, you will find clear written directions. Below that, CHARTS are given for each design ( and if you do not know how to read those diagrams yet, there is an explanation in the front "help" chapters that includes the Crochet Chart Symbols. As if that were not enough, each pattern comes with a key for the chart symbols so that you do not need to flip back and forth....or so your pattern xerox carried in your work bag has complete info.) I find the charts invaluable because I can tell at a glance, without reading lines of directions and needing to imagine what is going on, exactly how an item will be made and if I need to learn or review a stitch before taking it on. In addition, I can glance at the charts when a work is in progress to get a quick reminder of where I am in a project. The front of the book has very useful information for the beginner and anyone who needs a quick reference or brush up on -Fibers, Colors, Yarn Weights, Tools and Equipment, Gauge, Basic Stitches (with explanations and photos) and More Complex Stitches, Following Crochet Patterns and more.
Sure, you can find other books with similar information on making flowers. I also own Croched Flowers by Nicky Epstein,100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet by Lesley Stanfield, Crochet Bouquet by Suzann Thompson, Crochet Flowers For Every Wear by Kooler Design Studio, and various magazines and crochet books that include more patterns. These are all really good books and I use them depending on what I want to make for any given project.
What I think is simply outstanding about 200 Crochet Flowers, Embellishments & Trims is the variety of information and really pretty patterns all in one book. For the price of a single monthly crochet magazine, you get a resource that will stay in use and in your home library for years.
That is why I come back to Amazon and purchase this book when I want a really nice gift for a friend who loves to crochet or for a student who is new to the wonderful world of crochet art!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fun!, November 21, 2012
Well written patterns. Some of my favorite flower patterns come from this book! A very decent price for many usable patterns! Great for embellishing hats!

5.0 out of 5 stars After you learn the basics......., July 17, 2012
After you learn the basics of crochet, it really spices-up your quick projects to be able to make them look polished and "put-together" with flowers, lace or other embellishments one can make with this book. Great instructions and pictures.

Thanks,

Jocelyn King-DeLay

4.0 out of 5 stars Your crochet library, October 16, 2011
A good reference for different flowers designs. I think it's an excellent addition to my crochet library. I take the book out whenever I want to find a design quickly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many Diagrams, not enough pictures, October 10, 2013
I ordered the Kindle Edition and didn't really feel it had enough pictures or instructions. Lots of diagrams but I'm a visual learner so it kind of fell short for me. And I do know how to crochet so not an absolute beginner.
The finished products look lovely but many in the Kindle version were missing pictures, so the author is talking about projects that aren't there, or they are a few pages down, rather confusing. Maybe the print edition would be a better choice.
Please see my other reviews for the other books I chose, which have much better instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting flowers to crochet, August 19, 2012
This is a very nice book, it shows you how to crochet so many flowers. It also has many trims to make, very nice book to have if you like to do crafts.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome book, April 29, 2012
Naomij1966 (Brisbane Australia) - See all my reviews
I found the book to be very informative and easy to understand, I found it easier to read the books to learn how to crochet because they are easy to understand and follow compared to watching you tube.
Thank you for the opportunity to learn a great art, I hope it never stops being printed on books.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, March 26, 2013
this arrived quickly and was in excellent condition. i love this book, it give you the key, the stitches usd in a box below the pattern that way if you do'nt know the stitch you can look it up before you start. people are loving the flower hair clips from the flowers i have made from this book and other things. have nothing but good things to say about this book and the seller

3.0 out of 5 stars very useful book, January 9, 2013
This book is very usefull as it is nice to be able to dress items up with a flower or star etc...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›