Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Yamato (2005)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on February 21, 2008
I feel like I saw a different movie than some of the reviewers here. I suppose there was a lot more that could have been done in this movie, but what I saw was a film about the crew of Yamato, how they lived and died in their final days. In this regard, I thought the movie did a fine job.

If I had to compare movies, I would choose Black Hawk Down. Geopolitical issues nothwithstanding, the movie was about the sailors. How they fought and died together as brothers.

I'm a simple man, and I cried watching Yamato. I saw the film at a festival and the packed crowd of fairly sophisticated movie goers barely had a dry eye in the theater. The festival was in Hawaii, and the crowd was made up of various ethnicities, so I don't think race was even a factor in how people reacted to the movie.
77 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2007
This DVD recounts the story of enlisted crewmen aboard the ill fated IJN Yamato, the largest battleship in history. The DVD is in Japanese, with English subtitles. When ordering, make sure that you order the version that is good for all regions, otherwise it will not play in American DVD players. Region 2 and Region 3 are no good for American DVD players. The Japanese title is Otoko Tachi No Yamato and is from 2005. I bought it from the seller nanakiwi on Amazon.com. This is a good quality DVD, with a clear picture and good sound. The bonus features are rather skimpy, and are text only.

There is combat in this story, but it is mainly a story of how men deal with a losing war and imminent death. Secondly, it gives a good recreation of the rather intense and physical discpline that was inherent in the Japanese navy in World War II.

This film is pretty accurate from a military perspective, as the Japanese film makers have gone to great pains to recreate authenticity, even down to how the food was cooked!

The story is told in flashback, as the adopted daughter of one of the few survivors wants to visit the wreck site of Yamato on the 60th anniversary of its sinking. Later we learn that she scatters his ashes over the site where Yamato was sunk. The man who drives her there in a small boat is also one of the few survivors of the ship. During the voyage we learn more about this man and in the end he finally comes to grips with his life and his role aboard the IJN Yamato.

This is definately not a "rah rah" pro-nationalist type movie, but a moving human drama about the waste of war, and the people who are devestated by it. The soundtrack is excellent and the acting is first rate. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the Yamato specifically or wartime drama generally. Viewers who do not know alot of Japan may find it to be instructive as well, since the Japanese view of war and sacrifice offers interesting contrasts to the standard American view.
on July 18, 2010
First, I lived in Japan for six years, was in the U.S. Navy, toured the Battleship Mikasa and two U.S. Battleships, and read Admiral Yamamato's biography.
I ordered this DVD with the PBS Nova DVD, "Sinking the Supership", which re-uses some of the footage from this film. I'd also read the Wikipedia entry on the Yamato a few times.
With that background and a little knowledge of Japanese, I was able to watch this movie; I thought the CGI was cheap; the whole ships shakes when a small shell hits, but the ship doesn't roll in the sea, or even list when the ship makes a fast turn.
The star of the show, at least for me, was the English subtitles: "By 1941, Japan controlled Hong Kong, Singapore, Formosa and the Filipino." About every two minutes, the words on the screen are the opposite of what's going on in the movie. I wondered if they'd sail to Okinawa by way of Denver.
The character "Uchida" (right-hand face on the cover displayed here) looks like a Japanese double for Sean Penn. When he barks one-syllable orders in combat, he sounds like Sean Penn, too!

If you liked the movie "Pearl Harbor", this is for you. If you preferred "Tora, Tora, Tora!", I'd suggest the Nova DVD "Sinking the Supership".
on March 27, 2013
I'm not a naval historian, so any Inaccuracies in this film aren't apparent to me. Having served on two different aircraft carriers in four years, I appreciate that this film got the look and feel of serving aboard a ship down pat. It's nice to see the "human side" of the opposing Japanese forces in World War II. The "book ends" of the film, set in contemporary times, are extremely well done and add a poignancy to the characters that you meet in the story. I love that the characters we follow on board ship are enlisted men and petty officers-something you don't usually see in big budget naval epics. I love movies like MIDWAY, IN HARMS WAY and TORA! TORA!TORA!, but they always have Commanding officers and such as the main characters, and we seldom get to see what the "little guys" are doing. YAMATO does an excellent job of making you feel like you've just been "piped aboard" by the Officer of the Deck, enroute to your first tour of duty as a new recruit aboard this steel behemoth!
Warning: This film can be extremely brutal in scenes, and especially gory during the battle scenes, so it's not recommended for younger children.
I'll sum this up by saying this is the one of the best naval war movies that I have ever seen, and I can't recommend it highly enough.
on January 3, 2016
A sort of Japanese Band of Brothers, or Generation War, and a valuable look at one of the great disasters (from the Japanese point of view) of the war. I'm glad I saw it, and I will watch it again and try to keep the characters straight, but the subtitles are a wonder in themselves, and just short of absolutely no help understanding what's going on (the product of a Middle School English class armed with a not-very-good dictionary?). Rather grainy, and the sub- or super-plot intrudes too much. But I'm glad I saw it - the film rounds out a library of better-grade films about the war in a valuable way.
on October 4, 2012
Excellent.This movie has got to be one of the best action packed war flicks out there.The fact that it is based on the Battleship Yamato is reason enough to view.I for one have never seen or heard of a war movie taking place on a ship such as the Yamato.The computer effects are dead on.From beginning to end,this movie grabs you.You get all aspects of the nature of war.Especially the horror and the sacrifices involved.This movie is too realistic.If action packed war movies are your thing, this has got to be the best out there.You will definitely enjoy this one.By the way,the acting is superb.
on December 28, 2013
I was engrossed by this film, its sympathetic treatment of several friends, members of the Imperial Japanese Navy, and crew members of the YAMATO. While not neglecting the military/action aspects---the war scenes are very realistic portrayed---it is, above all, the human aspect and the interaction of these buddies that captures our attention, helps us identify with their turmoil and misfortunes, and it is this that lifts this movie above the level of a simple "war movie." Highly recommended.
on December 5, 2015
. Just got through viewing this movie. I found it both entertaining and as factual as a film maker can without the actual ship available. The ship board life of the crew was the theme of the effort and IMHO came through in the very a real way. I would recommend this to anyone.
on March 7, 2009
I rank this movie to be as good as 'Midway,The Longest Day.'or any war movie that speaks about loyality,duty to country and comradeship.In all of those characteristics,it is absolutely stunning.Considering that the replacement crew members were as young as 15 years old,they knew the mission was a one way ticket,yet they never wavered.The personal interaction between the characters is real and intense and honest,if you're sensitive to the good in us,this story will make you cry.I can't speak on culture,movie making,sub-titles,all that was lost in the story.There was no vivid sex scenes or undue violence.It's 5 Stars.2007 Japanese Drama Movie - YAMATO - w/ English Subtitle
on January 20, 2013
A good solid movie.The special effects were decent.The acting was good.The sets,made the battleship come alive.A huge
ship.The battle scenes were good also.They were a bit repetitive.But I liked them anyway.A bit high priced.But it's an import!
A good import!No Mothera or Godzilla in this movie.
The only fault I have with the movie is,that the escorts are not well represented..Other then that,I liked the movie.
J......of..........R