5.0 out of 5 stars Still THE Classic
The book has changed over the years and the 2012 edition is different than previous years. The player profiles are larger (there's 7 players/page rather than 9) and there are more statistics and skills ratios. The Encyclopedia of Fanalytics now takes up the first third of the book. It's been improved and is a fun read on its own.

The authors discussed the...
Published on January 4, 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but like some have stated...falling apart
I too have a copy of the book where the middle pages of the book are detaching from the spine. I've had to resort to reading the book vertically so that I don't cause any further detaching of the pages from the spine.

Published on February 23, 2012 by Benjamin Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Still THE Classic, January 4, 2012
Amazon Customer (Glendora, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2012 Baseball Forecaster (Ron Shandler's Baseball Forecaster) (Paperback)

The authors discussed the accuracy of predictions quite a bit over the last couple years and now they have fully embraced a weighted 3-year average unless skewed by obvious trends, scouting reports, injuries, and/or age. Their point, and it's valid, is that the inherent error in actual performance is so great that accurate predictions are impossible. Think about accuracy vs. precision and standard error, or noise, of the data.

Twenty-five years ago when this book was first published, there were very few predictions available. The internet didnt exist. When we drafted our Roto teams, we used the baseball annuals published by the Sporting News (I miss the Baseball Guide and Baseball Register), insight from Bill James, and the spring training magazines. By the late '80's pioneering player valuation authors like Shandler, Patton, and Mann-Manley slowly became available at bookstores. Now, anybody can get pretty good projections the night before the draft.

Shandler's point in this book, however, is that such precise projections are not really that accurate. The Forecaster gives you the tools to do your own evaluations. Use them to select the players you think will perform the best. In this sense, fantasy baseball has come full circle if you're doing your own work. The way to beat the parity created by a plethora of available information is to gather tools that provide the edge of accurate insight.

And finally, are the 60-word player write-ups less pithy than the old 30-word gems? The Matt Latos bio includes a description of his career trajectory, "He came quickly but proved to have staying power". No further comments...........

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to beat Shandler for baseball forecasting, January 22, 2012
Toddster64 (Marin County, CA) - See all my reviews
I've been purchasing the Shandler annuals for years, and his team continually fine-tunes the formulae as well as content presentation to make this a must-have for upcoming baseball seasons. While fantasy leaguers will find an abundance of good data here (I personally only played one year), I strongly believe baseball fans will benefit from, and enjoy reading, the analysis within. My must-have annual every year, along with Baseball Prospectus.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but like some have stated...falling apart, February 23, 2012

I've placed an inquiry with the author as my book was purchased over 30 days ago and I'm not eligible for an exchange or return from Amazon. Called Amazon and they will let me return the book and issue me a replacement despite me being over 30 days since my order. Thumbs up to them!

Although I'm now very wary of early printing cycles as these books were probably an early printing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Baseball forecaster: a must-have., February 19, 2013
An essential resource for the serious fantasy baseball player. Must-have. I can't do without this on baseball draft day. Fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You MR. Shandler, May 24, 2012
I bought this book expecting to get an OK Baseball book. I was wrong. I must thank Mr. Shandler for having Brandon Beachy, Johnny Cueto, Mark Trumbo and Jake Peavy on my fantasy team which is currently residing in 1st place.

NOTE: This review was written by Memento Mori's young fantasy baseball enthusiast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative!, May 16, 2012
This is a very detailed and entertaining book about fantasy baseball, which includes every MLB player, and also minor league prospects. It's very useful for anyone who owns a team.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy Helpfuls, April 4, 2012
There are so many details it can be overwhelming. Since this is the first time I have had this book, I read through all the information and used what applied to my H2H league I participated in. Most importantly, it showed me who not to draft during fantasy baseball. I would recommend this to anyone to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Fantasy Baseball Book Around, March 28, 2012
The Forecaster has always been a great fantasy baseball resource, and this year's edition is no exception. All the stats you've come to expect, including peripherals like BB%, Batting Eye, Contact Rate, Power, and Speed (and, for pitchers, K/9, BB/9, K/BB, HR/9, and PQS stats). The analysis provided is a great starting point, but the real power of the Forecaster is that it gives the reader enough stats and info to analyze players on their own. And unlike Baseball Prospectus, the Forecaster is compiled specifically for fantasy league applications.

Everyone knows you can't win a league on draft day, and you can't win a league just by buying this book. But if you buy it and use it, you should have a decent leg up on the competition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baseball Stat Heaven., March 1, 2012
Will Hosband (TUSTIN, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This is the most comprehensive statistical analysis of the upcoming baseball season that I have seen. If you play fantasy baseball, this book is not an expense, it's an investment! A MUST HAVE. Can I order my 2013 copy yet?

5.0 out of 5 stars Shandler does it again!, February 7, 2012
Long the recognized expert in advanced baseball statistics and analysis, Shandler does it again with the 2012 Baseball Forecaster. A must have for all serious Fantasy Baseball participants and a great read for those that are hard core fans of the BEST game in America. Good value if purchased from Amazon.

2012 Baseball Forecaster (Ron Shandler's Baseball Forecaster)
2012 Baseball Forecaster (Ron Shandler's Baseball Forecaster) by Ron Shandler (Paperback - December 1, 2011)
$25.95 $21.99