5.0 out of 5 stars Wanna write for kids?
Published on September 30, 2011 by Diana

2.0 out of 5 stars Writers AND Illustrators?
Published on January 6, 2012 by HGM

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Writers AND Illustrators?, January 6, 2012
This review is from: 2012 Children's Writer's & Illustrator's Market (Paperback)
I have been a reader of the CWIM for many years. It is one of the most useful guides on the market for the industry. However this year I must express a little discontent. If you are interested in writing for middle grade or YA authors the content is very much geared for you and you'll find abundant interesting articles to help you on your way. For established writers, interesting insights into the careers of peers. The market guide section and awards were up to date and relevant. The publisher's section shrinks yearly, for obvious reasons, and it hardly seems worth including publishers who no longer accept submissions. There are many publishers not included. Is this their choice or CWIM's I wonder?

My concern is for the content directed at illustrators and author/illustrators. The PB market is not dead! The rise and rise of the app and ebook is with us! And yet not one full interview with anyone from the illustration industry. With all the fabulous talent in the USA that's amazing! How relevant it would have been to hear from an app company on the developments of ebook illustration. Or illustrators who do magazine work, or book covers or illustrated novels or chapter books! Aside from a short piece in the 'new books' section it was a poor showing for illustration. For new illustrators trying to break into the industry, who are most likely to buy the CWIM, I suggest they buy the book for the market guide and they can learn how the industry works from the articles. There IS a lot of good information, but if you want to know more about children's illustration - join the SCBWI, read The Horn Book and search out online blogs.

Disappointed illustrator.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Age Level Index", "Photography Index" missing, September 29, 2011
I just received "2012 Children's Writer's & Illustrator's Market", but the "Age Level Index" and "Photography Index" are missing. The chapters "How to use CWIM" and "Book Publishers" both refer to these indexes, but they do not appear in the table of contents and they do not seem to exist at the end of the book. There is a "Subject Index" and an "Editor Names Index" at the end of the book and both of these indexes appear in the table of contents as well.

I am not a photographer, but the "Age Level Index" would have been of use to me (I eventually just compiled the list myself but it took some time).

It is possible that this is just a problem in my copy, however because these indexes do not appear in the table of contents I do not think that this is the case. Has anyone else noticed the problem?

The book is very useful otherwise although it seems like it is geared more towards YA novel writers with less content for picture book author/illustrators, like myself. That hardly comes a surprise, however as it seems the market trends in that direction.

Best of luck to everybody!

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic Children's Book info, October 19, 2011
This book is essential if you're interested in writing or illustrating for children. That being said, I do think the book is slanted toward YA and middle grade authors. I am a beginning picture book illustrator so the articles in the book aren't that helpful to me. But if you're a YA or chapter book writer definitely get the book! Mainly I will be using it for the agent and publisher listings.
With the purchase, you receive one year of online subscription to Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very basic, and not very helpful for Picture Book writers, January 16, 2012
For an aspiring YA author (or any person who is uncomfortable with internet research), I imagine this book would be very helpful. But for anyone interested in children's picture books, this book has very little to offer.

I did a lot of research online before I ordered this book. I read publisher's websites and looked at book catalogs to get a feel for what they published; I made a list of mainstream publishers who accept unsolicited manuscripts; I read author's blogs and interviews with editors; I browsed websites with articles and checklists for first-time children's authors. Many websites referenced this book, so I finally bought it. But I was severely disappointed.

Overall, I feel that the book is very shallow and targeted towards those who know absolutely nothing about the publication process. All of the information about the publishers is available online from other websites for free. And there are some good publishers that are not listed in the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars How did this book about Publishing get Published?!?!, February 14, 2012
The 2012 Writer's and Illustrator's Market book is so VERY difficult to read and follow that it makes me want to give up writing all together! I bought this book in effort to try to find a publisher and am ASTOUNDED that this book was published at all! The editor must have been drunk when working on this!
When I pick up a book like this I expect to be able to easily glance through it and find a list of publishers with their information and a list of publishing subjects preferably before the list of publishers, but no, it's completely opposite in this book with the list of publishers in the back, hidden beneath all these stupid interviews with these authors that no one has ever heard of or cares about and even if I did care about them, I could easily look them up on the internet! But instead I have to sift through their crap in order to find the reason that I bought the book in the first place!!!
Ok, fine, I can appreciate a few pointers in the beginning of the book, but after that it needs to be just a list of publishers and their information. They could easily hack out 200 pgs of this book, no problem!
Then there is all of the errors I keep finding. In the beginning there is a "key" to the symbols appearing in the back of the book in the actual publishers list (which I have NO idea why that key is in the beginning where the symbols are NOT) and half of the symbols that the book actually uses are not listed on the key!!! Sooo frustrating when you're trying to figure out what the heck they're talking about! Maybe I'm missing a "key" somewhere, but I shouldn't have to go looking for a symbol key!!! Not to mention that the key says there should be a symbol by all the publishers who are not accepting unsolicited manuscripts, I found four before I got too fed up to keep reading through them all!
-there's my rant for the evening. I'm exhausted after trying to figure out how to use this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wanna write for kids?, September 30, 2011
Then you need this book,the best reference/guide/handbook/resource available. Besides the huge listing of publishers (with contact info, needs, payment terms, etc.), CWIM also includes nuts-and-bolts info about genres, formats, submission, rights, and other basics of writing for kids. In addition, the book is stuffed with fascinating interviews with editors and writers as well as informative and inspiring articles. I've used CWIM for years and consider it an essential resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, September 15, 2013
If you have no education in this area, then to explore books like these are very helpful and provide ideas.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for self publishers, July 3, 2012
This book has managed to avoid the reality of publishing in the 21st century. The book assumes that authors wish to follow the old order: work and slave for decades and never get published. If that is the route you want to take this book may be helpful to you. There are still a few new authors who get published by traditional publishing houses, though the number seems to be decreasing. Barely a mention is made of the opportunities in self publishing of e books and print books. They warn against it but don't explain why. Their loyalty seems to be to publishers, not authors.

1.0 out of 5 stars No longer worth the money. Bring back Alice Pope!, February 26, 2012
My reliance on the Children's Writers and Illustrators Market has suffered a real nosedive with the 2012 edition. The pages on actual book publishers is now almost as slim as the magazine listings USED to be, and the endless interviews with YA authors doesn't help me much as an illustrator. But what bothered me most was the article by someone named Laura Backes, whom I've never heard of in the children's book world, who wrote a gushing "article" about how great ebooks are for children. Does everything have to be "on"? Some of us think that children should not be trained to be dependent on (read: addicted to) electronic devices. Especially when they're learning to read!

Maybe in the wonderful future people like Backes envision, children will not learn through their senses. They'll just have computer chips stuck in them at birth. In the dark ages we are in now, however, kids still learn through their sense of touch.

Backes' shameless promotion of learning-to-read companies and apps is not just a transparent advertisement for them, but a depressing view on how people who are only interested in money view publishing. Because times are hard, she is all for throwing out the baby with the bathwater - literally. And her gushing description of a bookless society is hardly going to be inspiring to writers and illustrators. In case you didn't notice, Laura, there's a little issue called STEALING that goes on with material available online. Did you happen to notice how that worked out for the music industry? No? Too busy getting four-year-olds to ruin their eyes learning to read on iPads, I guess. People like you can't wait for a bookless society? Well, THIS book at least didn't need to be actually published. I returned it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the doctor ordered, January 1, 2013
I have written 23 Childrens Books. There are an unbelievable number of steps and pitfalls that a new author needs to know about, and this wonderful book addresses them all. Plus, it is very nicely referenced, and I will be relying on it heavily when I move forward to publish my books. Thank you for writing it, Mr. Sambuchino

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2012 Children's Writer's & Illustrator's Market
2012 Children's Writer's & Illustrator's Market by Chuck Sambuchino (Paperback - September 19, 2011)
$29.99 $21.93