Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

Format: Audio CDChange

on January 29, 2012
Every year, the Grammy nominees are named, and the annual version of this CD is released. This is an entertainment event I anticipate every year. The music presented is always wonderful, and it's never disappointing! This year was no exception. I might have overlooked some of these gems if they weren't offered in this format. The track "Body and Soul," by Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse, for example, is a hauntingly beautiful tribute to the artists.

It's fun to load up these discs when taking a long road trip. While listening, the road trip is transformed into a walk down memory lane as you remember where you were, and what you were doing, when each song was released. Listening makes the time and the miles fly.

The Grammys started in 1959, but this series didn't start until 1995. It's too bad the producers haven't released discs from previous years Grammys. With the caliber of music included, they would be sure to sell, especially now that Baby Boomers are starting to retire.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2012
As one who likes all genres of music, I like these Grammy nominee albums precisely BECAUSE serveral categories are covered. It also helps me discover artists whose songs I may not have heard before. On this album, Foster the People and Blake Shelton were two artists who I gave a listen to for the first time, and liked them both. Of course there will be songs I don't care for - but then not many people will like every song nominated. As usual there were many more that I did like than didn't and therefore I was very pleased with this album.
on June 9, 2012
I'm a female dancing, music loving Boomer (born in the early 1950's) who was sadly suffering from lack of appreciation for many artists from the 1980's forward. I admit I was still busy replacing my fabulous '60s and '70's record albums with CD's and finding great jazz CD's. This year (2012) my mind opened and I watched the ENTIRE Grammy's. I was musically REBORN! If you are a Boomer who's stuck in the music of our youth, I suggest you get this CD to help rocket you out into appreciation of some fabulous music produced by offspring of our generation. No, I don't like every tune, and probably only a handful will become true classics. Just use your player's arrow forward button...but do give every song at least three listens before you judge. SOME GREAT MUSIC AT A GREAT VALUE!

MY BOOMER EDITORIAL COMMENTS ON EACH TRACK: (The * denotes my favorites and ** my SERIOUS favorites!)

1. **"Rolling in the Deep" by Adele: a great tune with interesting vocals and lyrics. I love the blues/gospel feel. This young woman can appeal to a wide age range, maybe because she bears her heart with honesty and without wild visual distractions.
2. "Grenade" by Bruno Mars : altruistic, pitiful, graphic and darkly humorous lyrics set to a great tune.
3. *"Firework"* by Katy Perry: has well placed, fun rhyming in a girl/woman self esteem anthem.
4. **"Moves Like Jagger"* by Maroon 5 with Christine Aguilera: This quick, catchy tune and rhythm can rocket ones rear end up to dance, exercise, and remember the power of sex in youth.
5. "Super Bass" by Nicki Minaj: Catchy Hip Hop song. The lyrics indicate a scattered brain pouring out a mouth.
6. "What's My Name" by Rhianna featuring Drake: Catchy Techno Hip Hop tune about sex (no surprise) sung by a girl with a serious crush. The brain need not be engaged to interpret this one.
7. "Workout" by J. Cole: Hip hop song about a man offering a one night stand. Not deep lyrics but probably a pertinent statement for a performer with this lifestyle.
8. "You and I by Lady Gaga: A surprising crossover from pop to country that Gaga pulls off well on this appealing tune.
9. *"Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People: A creative, repetitious, catchy tune with kids getting warned by a deranged person with a gun that they'll be moving targets. I want to keep singing this song though the topic is very disturbing.
10. "Scary Monsters and Nice Spirits" by Skrillex: Techno music with a SCARY techno monster voice. This is the only tune on the whole album I dislike. I admit it's creative, however!
11. "Paradise" by Coldplay: This is a haunting, medium tempo tune that's heavy on strings and vocals, and long on nebulous lyrics.
12. "Walk" by Foo Fighters : A medium tempo song with mostly incoherent lyrics, possibly about someone coming back around after a mental health breakdown.
13. *"If I Die Young" by The Band Perry: A great country music song with great lyrics from the interesting perspective of the young songstress. It has broad age appeal, and interesting, quality lyrics.
14. "The Cave" by Mumford & Sons: A catchy quick tempo tune with unusual lyrics wide open to interpretation.
15. "Holocene" by Bon Iver: A beautiful song with very odd lyrics indeed. I don't get it.
16. **"Just a Kiss" by Lady Antebellum a brilliant song that captures a critical moment in a new relationship. This is probably the best argument for abstinence at any age. I love the line, "I don't want to mess this thing up..."
17. *"Mean" by Taylor Swift: This medium tempo country crossover song has lyrical substance. It's a great "get back at" and coping song of a victim of physical and psychological abuse.
18. "Honey Bee" by Blake Shelton: An appealing, clever country love song.
19. "Drink In My Hand" by Eric Church: A "Kiss my _ _ _" after work drinking and carousing song. Plain and simple!.
20. "Dearest" by The Black Keys: A cover of a simple Buddy Holly love song.
21. **"Don't You Wanna Stay" by Jason Aldean with Kelly Clarkson: A hot country crossover song--an authentic snapshot of attraction told in a conversation. "I don't want to just make love I want to make love last." Instrumentation carries the emotion masterfully. Kelly's vocal interpretation shows the passion and energy of the moment. Kelley's and Jason's voices blend perfectly. Decide for yourself if the couple ultimately "unites". I want a song sequel to see how things turn out!
22. "Body and Soul" by Tony Bennett & Amy Winehouse: This slow duet is well done though it seems out of place and time on this CD.

I plan to LISTEN UP and stay musically with it. This CD might convince boomers like me to do the same. The payoff is great enjoyment. I plan to listen to pop radio more often and watch the Grammy's with an open mind and ear next year. I don't want to miss out on all the new fun! I plan to keep LIVING my youth with music, not just RELIVING IT!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 29, 2012
One of my favorite CD's to buy each year is the annual Grammy hits - all in one CD I get to listen to some of my favorite songs as well as other songs I may have missed or not noticed. This 2012 additiona was especially cool because of the hip hop songs that I really would have passed by and was able to really appreciate!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I like these compilations of the artist's top songs all on one CD. You get a broad spectrum of music from Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse to Katy Perry to Lady Gaga.

The music ranges from some oldie remakes, country and western, and current pop hits. The mixture of genres and artists to me is more interesting as I feel I and not listening to one artist's two good songs surrounded by 8 of their other average songs. This CD contains 22 hits.

I love the Maroon 5 and the Christina Aguilera song "Moves like Jagger" and many of the other top songs. Get this CD and you will be entertained of over one hour with ever changing music artists and top hits. I liked it very much!
on August 3, 2012
This was an awesome CD. The Grammy nominees CD's are usually pretty good, but this one is better than the last few years. It is also nice to have such a variety of different genres of music versus hearing the same type of beat and voice over and over again for an hour.
on February 26, 2012
Each year I look forward to the Grammys and going out to buy the CD of the songs up for nomination. Some years are ok, but this year was a great one.
VINE VOICEon January 24, 2012
I really like all the nominated songs on this disc. Every musical genre is well represented here. This is the best Grammy nominees CD in a long time. My favorite track is "Rolling In The Deep". Adele has a soulful voice that moves me. The Foo Fighters are nominated for the song "Walk". This is the best rock song on this disc. It has an excellent beat that pumps me up. "Grenade" is an excellent song from Bruno Mars. This is a very good pop song. Maroon 5's "Moves Like Jagger" is a jam of a song. This song gets me dancing. I have never heard of these artists, but a collection like this introduces me to new acts. "Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People has an innocent charm that I find appealing. Bon Iver's "Holocene" is a song where I can't make out even one word, but it has a smooth tone that I love. "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" is another song where I can't detect any lyrics, but I love the techno sound of this track. Country music is well represented here. "Just A Kiss" is a very pretty romantic song. Eric Church's "Drink In My Hand" is a funny country song about how having a drink is one of the simple pleasures in life. "You And I" is the first Lady Gaga song I like. This is a good pop love song. I like the intimate sprit of this song. The duet Body And Soul" by Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse is absolutely lovely. This is the perfect song to relax me after a long day. The music on this disc is very entertaining.
on March 1, 2012
Wow! Sensational Bargain.. Every song a winner.. Covers all the Genre and
has great songs no matter what your listening preferences are.
Played this CD over and over when we got it.
on February 23, 2012
I love these CD's. It's a great way to get all of the best songs of the year without having to buy all of the CD's and to get exposure to different types of music.