Published on September 5, 2012 by V. Hobby

1.0 out of 5 stars Highly Disappointed
I have used SOS for homeschooling for 5 years now, and this 2012 version is horrible. There are so many problems in every subject. Even the electives I purchased last year, like Family and Consumer Science, have issues. Some of these include:
Published on December 26, 2012 by ReviewSpecs

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent homeschool program, June 10, 2013
This review is from: 2012 Switched-on Schoolhouse 8th Grade Set (Office Product)
Easy to install and easy for my child to access all subjects. Leaning made easier with CD's. he was able to read and listen to all his subjects. Worth every penny!

4.0 out of 5 stars a solid "meat and potato" style computer homeschool curriculum, September 5, 2012
V. Hobby (Siloam Springs, AR United States) - See all my reviews
This is a good solid homeschool program. It does take time to set up initially. (it took me a few hours one evening) However I think the previous comment found here is extreme. I am not computer savvy and I had no trouble setting up my son's program. Like anything new it takes a little while to learn your way around. I also found that it is very flexible to fit our needs. (You can easily adjust for sick days, re-assign things etc.) It does require that your child spend a considerable amount of time on the computer and that is something to consider. However, if for various reasons you are unable to sit beside your child and teach them, then this program allows them to learn independently AND the program does the grading for you. There are certainly times in life when this is a life saver!

1.0 out of 5 stars Highly Disappointed, December 26, 2012
"Tiny Tutor" videos have a programming error that cuts off half of the viewable screen while you are watching it, AND there are no controls visible (like pause, play, volume) as there had been in previous versions.
There are an enormous amount of editing errors throughout the products like the lesson states one point, but the questions in the lesson won't give you credit for those correct answers. Or the lessons information is incorrect as well, like incorrect definitions for words or Algebra problems worked out with errors.
This problem continues onto the Quizzes and Tests.
Now this curriculum allows the parent (administrator) to go in and make changes to the grades or even remove the question, but it will take you hours every week to go in and do this with all the errors I am finding. This is extremely inefficient for the parent - now you have to spend all your time fixing the manufacturers problems.
Which leads me to their support. Which is very lacking. I have to enter every single issue - separately - into their database, then I have to wait for months until they finally send out a "fix" for the problem, unless they decide that it is too comprehensive and will just correct on future editions of the product which does me NO good now. Of course, by that point I have MANY other issues anyway and no time to go back and re-teach my child the information now that they have finally fixed some of the problems I already found! How about pull the product - issue us all a refund - then make the corrections throughout the program so we parents don't have to keep doing your job for you!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst....product....EVER, August 31, 2011
We purchased this for our first time homeschooling.
It was AWFUL!
Incredibly complicated, very user un-friendly.
We spent countless hours trying to set it up to get the features advertised, but were unable to do so.
Not able to review tests, give assignments, or even pull up attendance reports. All of these are supposedly features available.
Contacted the seller, hoping to exchange it for a book-based curriculum, but they state "We are not able to accept returns on any software once it is opened and used", which would be reasonable with a product that WASN'T defective.
Save the aggravation. If you spend half as much time teaching the curriculum out of a regular textbook that it would take to get minimal results from this product, your child will be far ahead of his peers in public or private schools.
The only reason I gave it 1 star rating is I was unable to choose negative stars......

2012 Switched-on Schoolhouse 8th Grade Set