Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS

• 2046

79%
21%

on September 13, 2005
Few soundtracks have impressed me these days, but 2046 has been a superb enjoyment. I haven't even seen the movie before I bought the soundtrack, but after visiting official websites, and heard bits of it playing in the background, I knew this was going to be no ordinary soundtrack for a chinese movie.

It's an entrancing soundtrack from start to finish with dark, dramatic orchestrals, a few catchy upbeat songs, and moody jazz.

There really isn't a track I don't like, but my personal favs are:

1. 2046 Main Theme (With Percussion)/(Rumba version) - One of the most entrancing opening track, simply amazing. The rumba version is also a really nice dance worthy track, pretty romantic with the violin.

2. Siboney and Siboney Instrumental - At first I got a bit annoyed with how loud Connie Francis sounded as she sang, but after a couple of listens, it definitely grows on you. The instrumental version is more upbeat and party like.

3. Sway - I never realized this song had many covers, but Dean Martin makes a fine rendition, pretty classic.

4. Julien et Barbara - Sad and melancholic, yet still retains a certain air of beauty.

5. Polonaise - Probably my favorite instrumental track on the album. Pretty waltzy without being annoying, there's just something about it that makes it seem magical.

6. Lost - Even more dramatic and sad than "Julien et Barbara", the clarinet really hits the emotional spot.

7. Dark Chariot - A simple waltzy piano tune, very pretty.

8. Sisyphos At Work - A jazz club-like song with great sax with a mix of strings, the song runs a bit long though.

9. Decision - For a while I thought I heard this song had a familiar melody, and it does retake the melody from "Lost" but was redone by a different composer. There's a definite difference here, shorter but just as compelling.

10. Adagio - This is probably the "love theme" I would consider for the entire movie. If there's any song on this album that would express "love" it's this song. Utterly beautiful violin work.

In essence, this an album you won't be disappointed with. It's hard to believe this is a soundtrack made in 2004, it sounds like a time-worn piece of work that was uncovered, dusted, cleaned and remastered for the modern listener. The movie is equally as poetic as its soundtrack, people should also give the movie a shot.
on July 18, 2005
The main theme is very reminiscent of Michael Nyman's "Memorial" from the gastro-visual movie, The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover.

2046 is very typical of French-scored soundtracks. The added feature is Angela Gheorghiu's rendition of the bel canto classic (originally by Maria Callas) of Casta Diva, featured in Norma opera.

I found the remainder of the songs on this soundtrack evokative and emotional.
on October 26, 2005
I knew while I was watching this film that I had to have the soundtrack. What I didn't know was how difficult it would be to find it. I wrote to Sony Pictures, and to the music reviewer of the LA Times (which gave the soundtrack a rave review), but no one answered my emails as to where I could buy the soundtrack. I finally found it at Amazon MarketPlace and I was just thrilled. (It is, by the way, listed as an import. From China, I guess.) I love the music. It's all delightful. I want to say it is "hardy" and soft and surprising from track to track.

This is not the first time (by far) that I have tried, with no luck, to buy a soundtrack after having seen a movie... I wonder why this is? Film distributors and studios don't want to sell soundtracks? Ah well, I think they live in a world of their own anyway......
HALL OF FAMEon January 16, 2006
This is one of those soundtrack albums that can comfortably stand on its own feet. A movie within an album, or an album within a movie, any way you choose to see it. The sound Shigeru Umebayashi evokes in "2046" and the selection of additional tracks to surround his fantastic score bring to mind the fine work Alberto Iglesias has done for many of Pedro Almodovar's movies. This is an album and a score composer (Umebayashi) to be reckoned with for years to come.
on June 11, 2006
While I really enjoyed the film, I honestly think my favorite thing about it was the soundtrack. It's really haunting and beautiful. As soon as I finished the movie, I started looking for the score. It isn't available anywhere in the States so I ordered it from a seller who lived in Hong Kong and shipped it here. It was inexpensive, because of the exchange rate, and totally worth it. I'm a huge fan of film soundtracks in general and this is one of the best I've ever owned. The music is totally evocative of the film and it's a very eclectic, cool set of songs.
on February 28, 2009
I saw the movie and took a big chance and bought the CD of the music.

Wow just a wonderful soundtrack. The recordings are all terrificly done -- quality work. And amazing, these are all such complete songs, that you can listen to the entire album -- there are only 2 short 35 second songs that would only be found on a "soundtrack".

I highly recommend this album -- a gem -- buy it while it's still available!
on May 6, 2007
A talented mixture of very ethereal, dramatic & nostalgic music. Great ballroom dance tunes. Some variations on classical & even a little Opera. Super mix. When you can sit & really listen, this is what you'll want to play. Can't recommend it highly enough.
on August 1, 2007
Uno de los mejores soundtracks de los últimos años. Evocador, provocativo, sutil; en fin, una excelente oportunidad para escuchar buena música y recordar también un film maravilloso.
on March 9, 2014
The DVD has a feature describing the significance of the music in the film; I won't repeat that. I will tell you that the soundtrack album takes you back to the film with evocative incidental music, and the period pieces ("Sway with Me" is my new favorite jazz song). The last track is an auditory montage of sounds, dialog, and music.

If you love the film, you'll appreciate having this CD. Great to drive to in the morning commute....
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2015
Loved it, very laid back soundtrack. That siboney song is too good. I have no idea who peer raben is but his contributions were stellar. Everyone brought their A game . It's music to sip green tea to.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse