Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 6, 1999
Fresh Start is a very simple and comprehensive, "day by day" approach to quitting smoking. This book proves perfect for the individual who is ready to quit smoking, but who lacks the necessary skills and self-understanding needed to quit smoking succesfully. Fresh Start leads the way. The book starts with you establishing your Quit Day, then prepares you for withdrawal symptons and provides you with the self knowledge and understanding necessary to become a nonsmoker. Freshstart is your guide and your friend through the crucial three week period of quitting smoking. The "day by day " approach to quitting smoking provides you with only the information you need each day for the first three weeks of nonsmoking.The actions and behavior techniques provided are simple and straightforward. I highly recommended this book! Thanks to the book Freshstart I am a succesful nonsmoker for life! If you want to quit smoking for good, I recommend you read and follow the 21 day program in Freshstart. Pass it along. It really works!.
on December 17, 2005
15 years ago I read this book and I haven't smoked since.

The very interesting thing about this book, for me, was that I only bought it because I was looking for something to read while I ate lunch one day, and the only place close to the restaurant was a grocery store. It was this book or a romance novel, and I chose this book.

I had quit smoking before for a year or less. I didn't quit for good before reading this book. I had been smoking for at least 3 years continually, since my prior quit phase. I was completely unrepentent, and had no intention of quitting.

I smoked cigarettes while I was reading the book. Then, when I finished it, I quit smoking, for 15 years now! I don't ever want to start again, and can't believe I ever did smoke.

After I quit for the initial three days, then the initial three weeks, I made note of having quit for 3 months, and then 3 years. I'm looking forward to the 3 decade mark, now!
on November 8, 2001
This book is motivating, inspiring, and supportive. After smoking heavily for over twenty years, I managed to quit simply with this one book. It has been four years now without cigarettes, and I occasionally refer back to it for its uplifting thoughts and ideas and am able to apply them to other problem areas. I recommend it highly to anyone who is serious about wanting to quit smoking.
on August 8, 2001
This book was given to me by a friend of mine when I decided to quit smoking. It helped me to get through the first 21 days informed, and better yet, prepared. Quitting smoking was one of the most difficult things I've done, but I credit this book with getting me over the hurdle. It's been 7 years now and I recommend this book to anyone I hear is trying to quit (and can get their hands on it)!
on December 31, 2015
I started smoking when I was 16 years old. I smoked for the next 20 years, smoking up to 3 packs a day, often menthol cigarettes. I would light my next cigarette using the still burning end of my last cigarette! Every been there?

I wanted to quit. I tried many methods: low tar and nicotine, nicotine gum, or just cutting back. None of these methods proved lasting.

I then found this book when it was first being printed about thirty years ago. I read every word intently and I tried most of the exercises the author proposes. As she suggested, I chose a quit day. I chose the "cold turkey" method and smoked every day up to my quit day and then I stopped.

Every withdrawal symptom she describes in the book came to be true for me. I got angry and short tempered. I felt sad, as if I lost a friend. But at least I was prepared for all of these effects.

The author is a psychologist and she clearly shows the way the brain responds to addiction and withdrawal. She also explains the unconscious games we play with ourselves (without realizing it) as our addicted brains try to find ways to reinforce and rationalize the addiction and defeat us.

I smoked for 20 years and have not smoked since, to this day 30 years later. I am free. Thank you, Dr. Dee Burton!
on May 12, 2016
This book really did help me get through the first few weeks of quitting smoking. It gave me an idea of what to expect and helped me make sense of what I was thinking & feeling. There was a chapter that I missed and read later on and I had quite a few "oh no wonder" moments. I would definitely recommend buying this book as well as a large bag of dum dum suckers if you are planning on quitting - the suckers help quench the hand to mouth habit that was so hard to get over. I quit in January (right after New Year's) and five months later am still going strong!
on November 2, 2013
This book has helped me quit!!! It's like a portable support group. It's SO encouraging, and the daily 3-ish page readings is a great format, brilliant idea! THANK YOU Dee Burton. I have bought several copies of this to help loved ones quit.
on May 12, 2016
I purchased this as a caregiver, and unless the cognition of the person quitting is at least the level of say, "programming a VCR", it is too difficult. I did enjoy the book and learned a lot, however. But I don't smoke.
on September 28, 2011
Yes, it really took only 21 days using this book. Of course, you need a lot of motivation, which this book provides.

I started smoking at the age of 21 and smoked a pack and a half a day until age 35. I "quit" several times over the years I smoked before I found this book, once for 8 months. This book also helped a friend who had smoked for 40 years to quit. It saved her life. She quit in 1993 with the help of this book. Two years ago she was diagnosed with small cell (oat cell) lung cancer. Her tests show she's now clear of any cancer cells. She said that the doctors told her that quitting when she did (16 years before) saved her life.

This is how the book "works":

Each day has a section describing all the awful stuff smoking does to your body, with motivational material. This book contains a lot of information re health dangers that are not generally known. Some of the negative health effects will go away immediately once you quit (sense of taste, ability to breathe better, etc.). Some benefits of quitting will manifest themselves more slowly. For example, I believe that the cardio-vascular impact of smoking is gone within a year after quitting. Then of course there are the long term risks of smoking, some of which people may not be aware of. Plus, smoking makes every other health problem you have worse.

Starting on day one, you keep a daily diary of each cigarette you smoke, when you smoked it, why, where, etc. This diary procedure gives you insight into the associational aspect of smoking. For example, always lighting up at the end of a meal, when you drink alcohol or coffee, etc. What triggers your personal urge to smoke? You might be surprised. Knowing the triggers helps you avoid them when you quit. For example, it helped me to just not go to a bar for a while. Eventually, I could go to a bar without a problem but still had to fight the urge when I saw my friends smoking and drinking. I was the only one in our "group" who didn't smoke at the time. Now, of course, the ratio of smokers to non-smokers has reversed, at least in the US among people in my age group.

You cut down the number of cigarettes you smoke each day until you get to the bare minimum on the 20th day (for me, it was 4 cigarettes). On the 21st day you go "cold turkey." Just wake up in the AM and never smoke again.

There is a lot of material in the book that helps prevent back sliding. It's important to remember that you will ultimately succeed in quitting no matter how many times you may have failed. As I said, I "quit" probably 7 times before I finally succeeded. Using this book, I stopped one day in 1986 and never smoked again.

Some people I know who smoke think there's no point in quitting because they have already smoked for so long quitting makes no difference. Not true. For one thing, some risks (like cardio vascular) greatly decrease and virtually disappear over time once you quit. Other risks decrease over time. The longer you go without smoking the less likely you are to suffer some of the worst smoking related diseases. For example, I am currently having some health problems and the initial symptoms pointed to bladder cancer as a possible cause. 90% of bladder cancer is caused by smoking. The urologist was very happy to learn that I had quit smoking so many years ago. Sure enough, no bladder cancer. It's never too late to stop.

If you are really motivated, try this book. It worked for me and for others.
on August 8, 1999
This book stimulated me to think deep thoughts about smoking, the pro's and con's really helped me to look deep into my soul and understand why I loved smoking so much. The con's of smoking won out because I've been smoke free for about 6 years! I would recommend that anyone who is considering quitting to read this book and discover why you really smoke. It may help you to realize that the reasons to not smoke are so much more worthwhile!