5.0 out of 5 stars Spotlight on surviving office politics
Published on February 29, 2008 by Rolf Dobelli

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, but not that helpful
Published on November 11, 2008 by Kukkimom

5.0 out of 5 stars Spotlight on surviving office politics, February 29, 2008
This review is from: 21 Dirty Tricks at Work: How to Beat the Game of Office Politics (Paperback)
Thinking that the only thing you have to do at the office is good work is naïve. Every company has people who will stop at nothing to further their own agendas. Hiding your head in the sand (or behind your computer screen) only makes you an easy target. Instead, learn about the common dirty tricks played in offices and protect yourself from becoming a victim. To outmaneuver the manipulators, getAbstract recommends reading this clever, short introductory course on office politics. Organizational experts Mike Phipps and Colin Gautrey have done the research for you, identifying the most common and insidious dirty tricks, and outlining strategies for putting up your defenses or, when appropriate, confronting the attackers. Oftentimes, simply exposing the trick reduces its potency and sends the perpetrator scurrying back into the shadows.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, but not that helpful, November 11, 2008
Kukkimom (United States) - See all my reviews
This book is written as a fictional story of one man's experience navigating the political jungle in a cut-throat corporation. Each chapter tells a bit of the story, with an accompanying analysis that includes "Game Stats" (I found those totally useless), the "Antidote" and the "Vaccination". I found those last two somewhat helpful, since they give you "power questions" to ask the person who is playing politics and how to respond. However, the entire time I was reading the book, I kept envisioning an episode of "Ugly Betty," because the situations were so ridiculously exaggerated. In my experiences at corporations large and small, I've never witnessed the situations to the extent they describe, so it was hard for me to relate.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been #14'd two times!!!, November 14, 2012
Just bought my second copy. Honestly, I was #14'd two times! The first time I was #14'd (being called out and yelled at) I was totally shocked, I cried, I sulked for days, I completely over reacted and I walked away from the job in October 2008 (whooops!!!, I was underemployed until December 1010!)
But I bought a bunch of books and most were creepy and some had simply bad advice but this one funny and totally true!
I saw #14 and it was all clear, and so simple!
I just got #14'd again, and I remembered, #14 is a mediocre trick, and it usually backfires unless the victim is completely naive, like I was, and simply crumbles under the attack. If I recall correctly the author says that the purpose is to undermine the victim's confidence. I can't think of any other thing that could have possibly been accomplished in both cases, except of course the creep gets to vent. So I kinda didn't blink this time around.
I'm sorta spreading the word about what a nut job the boss is, "Yeah, she just told me that she hates working with me, go figure, doesn't that suck?" and she just made it a lot easier for me to transfer to another project with a boss who actually likes people for having opinions.
And I am buying another copy because I've given the last one away and I want to buy two because I know a colleague who could use some good advice!
It's funny. Buy three copies.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a book with practical help, May 11, 2006
If you only read one book on office politics, this has to be it! Unlike so many other titles this avoids generalization and provides clear guidance on what to do about specific tactics used by others to get ahead of you. Absolutely packed with great questions that you can use straight away.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! All the things I wished I'd known years ago., August 30, 2008
Man on Fire (Middle America, USA) - See all my reviews
From the very first days of reading, this book seemed as though it was being written from the situations happening right before my eyes. Every daily subsequent reading seemed to have eerie parallels to the antics that I and others were dealing with in my work environment. This material has profoundly enlightened me to a way of thinking that I could never resolve in my own mind; simply because I don't think in the way of the manipulators. At every turn by the masters of deceit I had difficulty with how to understand what happened behind the scenes and deciding what my next move should be to turn things around.

I had often said with many turns of events "It's bigger than all of us" with no real resolve or appreciation for the gravity. But my eyes are definitely open now. If you struggle on a regular basis with understanding what goes on in peoples minds that drive the counter-productive company politics that perpetuates constant turmoil, YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK! I feel like someone has finally thrown me a life raft; no exaggeration. I am now on a mission to get this information into as many worthy minds as possible. Look out all you Machiavellian-types, it's time the tables are turned on who you are and what you stand for! - Man on Fire, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next book, July 29, 2011
Ilya Shutman (Staten Island, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I just got this book, and I love it! Some books simply list dirty tricks as possible tools for personal advancement, but this one is different. In a case study, a bit extreme, yet very familiar, the authors present some dirty tactics that are fairly common in corporate environment. However, the authors do not stop at that: they list strategies to combat those tricks (I found some of them to be very good and will try them out), and they also list costs of those tricks to the victim, the company, and the perpetrator, whether he's caught or not. The book gave me new perspective on office politics, confidence that I can create more win/win situations, and forced me to review my daily routine to make sure that it's clean from tricks that, unfortunately, can become contageous. I plan to share this book with all of my coworkers who are willing to read it. My most sincere thanks to Mike Phipps and Colin Gautrey. I can't wait for your next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, April 25, 2014
AC (Arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
Great read! Has really opened my eyes to the realities of office politics today. Should be a must read for every college graduate.

5.0 out of 5 stars 21 Dirty Tricks at Work: How to Beat the Game of Office Politics - great, July 15, 2013
db "Doron Blazer" (Israel Petah Tikva) - See all my reviews
Delivery – great
I really enjoyed reading it :-)
I got what I wanted, and I got everything I needed.
What more do you need?
I recommended it to my friends

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read!, January 26, 2013
Must read! Worth the investment. Fortunately or unfortunately was able to identify at least 6-8 dirty tricks played on myself as well as on co-workers and managers. Wish this was taught earlier. Knowledge is power.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value for Interesting Information, April 26, 2011
Have not finished the book as yet but so far, it gave insight into things I already know and have been coping with, sometimes not to well.

The tips/coping mechanism I have used so far and have worked to make a stressful situation a bit better.

It will not solve your problems but will help manage your anger a little better and with practice and get the work done.

21 Dirty Tricks at Work: How to Beat the Game of Office Politics
21 Dirty Tricks at Work: How to Beat the Game of Office Politics by Colin Gautrey (Paperback - September 2, 2005)
$28.00 $24.46