4.0 out of 5 stars All planer knives chip.
These knives are not the thickest planer knives out there, but the Delta 22-580 planer is overall a nice machine, especially considering the price.

Published on August 1, 2004 by Daniel Lloyd

2.0 out of 5 stars delta 22-549 blades sharp enough to cut butter ???
delta's 13 inch planer is a medium duty planer with light duty knives. while the blade life is better than that of dewalt's 13 inch planer knives, it still falls far short of what a any professional wood worker would find acceptable regardless of the species of wood. delta's double sided, quick change concept is nice, as well as the laterally adjustable registry slots,...
Published on October 16, 2008 by John Obrien

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars All planer knives chip., August 1, 2004
This review is from: DELTA 22-549 Replacement Knives for DELTA 13-Inch Planer (Tools & Home Improvement)

I have noticed some chipping in my planer knives. But all planer knives chip. It's just a fact of life. They will certainly chip if you forget to remove a staple. They will chip if they hit a piece of sand or dirt. They will chip if they hit a knot (I recently chipped mine on some pine knots). And sometimes they will chip for no obvious reason whatsoever. This is true of this planer costing a few hundred dollars, and it is true of planers costing thousands.

When they chip, you will see small ridges down the board. Note that if you see this, then SOMETHING caused this chip since it is very unlikely that both of your knives will chip in the same place unless there was something rough to cut on your board surface.

There are two simple and free ways to deal with this:

1) Note that you can move the blades slightly left and right. If you want to, you can move one blade to the left and one to the right, and thus, the chips will no longer line up and you will be left with a smooth surface.

2) Once you thickness the board to the right size, keep the cutterhead locked, and run the board through another pass. Since it's unlikely that the board is inserted exactly the same way twice in a row, you'll be left with a smooth surface.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's just the way it is., January 21, 2005
I have a 12-1/2" Delta planer and the blades are basically the same as the 13". I go through a lot of blades. For those of you complaining about the blades, I suggest you buy a different planer, it's just the way it is. I seriously doubt any manufacturer is going to be able to make a better set of blades due to the design and nature of the beast. I run a lot of wood through my planer, from hard purple heart to soft poplar. I am a woodworker and use it everyday. I chip and break more on pine and aromatic cedar. That's what a nice Makita orbital sander is for. I am sure it is because of the knots and sap. The sap dulls them faster as well. Try running a board through with a nail in it on a brand new set of knives. Been there, done that, on the first pass. Thank god there is a second side. I believe mine says it will shave an eighth at a time. Or is it 1/16th? I can do half of that and my blades last longer.That's a lot of passes going from 1-1/8" rough cut down to 3/4". It isn't so much the blades as it is the design. The older model planer blades were slotted,wider and probably thicker. This meant they could be sharpened and adjusted. I do however love that I don't have to adjust my blades on the Delta. Changing them is so quick and easy. I spoke with a Delta rep and he told me they are basically disposable blades and can't be sharpened. They are narrow, thin, and pinned. I have had my Delta for over 2 years now and have had no problems with it at all. I have been through 4 or 5 sets of knives. I basically lost count. Like I said, it's just the way it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed emotions, February 23, 2005
I have had my new 22-580 planer for about a month and use it almost every day. The blade zero and thickness lock are priceless. I can go back and duplicate a thickness day after day as long as I don't change the lock position. It gives a very smooth surface at either of the 2 speeds.

My only 2 problems are the infeed and outfeed tables being almost useless and the blades chip easily. I run about 40 bf per side before getting a few chips in the blades and I'm planing Alder. Great tool with so so blades. Shifting the blades does buy me a couple more cuts before having to replace the blades.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Variable Experiences?, July 17, 2006
Wonder why there is so much variation in experiences with this planer and its knives? I have had my Delta 22-580 for almost three years with excellent performance. Today's order is for my second set of replacement knives. I have planed many bf of white oak, cherry, walnut, tulip poplar, and some softwoods with no problems and very satisfactory results. I appreciate the ease with which the knives can be changed.

As another review noted "all knives chip" -- eventually, even when working carefully. Just purchase an extra set of blades and expect to swap them out at some time. Also, I think doing more, thinner passes over wood that has been carefully inspected helps prevent the knives from chipping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Take a lighter cut ..., April 27, 2006
My driveway is covered with snowdrifts of shavings, twenty cubic feet last weekend. Then I flipped the blades after seventy passes of 1/64inch each on 2x12x12 salvaged oak and poplar crating planks. So, I ended up with 50bf of finished 2x12. The knives are the heart of the machine and they are turning one man's trash into some beautiful material. They wear and dull just like my saw blades. While I wish they could be resharpened, I also wish that lumber didn't come with nails, knots, and sap.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work ok for the size/price, February 9, 2008
AM "Andy" (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this planer to help with a set of kitchen cabinets. I've planed quite a bit of red oak and had generally good results. I haven't seen any scored wood but then again I'm planing nice clean S2S stock. I try to avoid planing construction lumber but sometimes I do, to make a jig or clamping fixture. That wood is soft but kills the blades faster. I think it's a combination of the fact that it isn't very dry and also there's a lot of dirt and crud on typical construction lumber that you don't see on nice hardwood. I've had this planer for about 4 months and I'm still on the first side of the first set of knives. I'm sure you can kill the blades quick if you brutalize the machine but at least in my application - general woodworking using hardwoods mostly - I don't see any problems. After all, it's an inexpensive little planer.... not a huge cast iron monster with a giant cutterhead.

I find the zero depth gizmo to be a pain, but I do use it. I have to fiddle with it a little too much to get it to stay down. But, even so it is definitely nice to know where the blades are. I don't use the depth stop at all, I have a cheap imported digital caliper that I use and generally I can plane to within a couple of thousandths without trying too hard. I find that this is useful when using the Kreg jig for pocket screwing the face frames. If the stock isn't pretty much all the same thickness you don't get a nice flush face frame, so in my view accurate plaing is a must.

Once in a while I do get a snipe even swith the cutterhead locked but it doesn't happen enough to really be a problem. Light cuts, and good support of the board well on the outfeed side seem to do a good job on killing snipe. I also will run it in "finishing" instead of "dimensioning" if I see any snipe.

One thing I REALLY don't like is the dust chute accessory. My 4" hose slip-fit adapter doesn't stay put (I move the hose from machine to machine) and that is a real pain. Also, the thing interferes when planing thinner stock. Pretty good machine, but Delta screwed up on that part - and it's too expensive, to boot. In my view you can't really run a planer without dust collection (the chips end up geting embedded in the board) so I don't see why a chute isn't included wth the machine.

UPDATE - APRIL 30 2012. After living with this planer for a few years, I would say that it is definitely not my favorite tool in the shop. With hardwoods (all I plane) the knives start to go "off" after less than 20 board feet. I have started using the Powertec knives, which seem to perform the same but cost less. Feed is iffy, sometimes requiring help to get the board through. Snipe has continued to be an issue, and the cutterhead lock doesn't really make a difference. The infeed and outfeed table adjustments seem to have the greatest effect on both snipe and feed. The cheap wrench Delta provides to loosen the torx button head screws that hold the knives in snapped on the second blade change, and I need to replace a few screws because the torx head is very shallow and has gotten rounded a little after much use. I could go on, but the bottom line is that this machine planes... but not really a great tool for the critical woodworker. I imagine none of the portable planers will compete with a traditional cast iron machine, but I would have expected better from Delta. Next time, I will try a different brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, November 10, 2006
If you have a Delta planer then eventually you will need replacement blades. I looked everywhere, and Amazon.com had the absolute best price by far. So good , I bought 2 sets. The blades arrived quickly and without any problems. The indexing holes on these blades make alignment much easier than on previous Delta planer models. I am able to change both blades and be back woodworking in under ten minutes. I buy lots of rough wood and have planed miles of hardwood lumber. The blades last a reasonably long time, as with anything it is dependent on how well you treat them and what kind of debris you run through the planer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Planer good, easy fix for snipe, Blades decent but pricey, July 11, 2006
Best fix is to get a 4' or 5' piece of melamine shelving and put it over the flimsy infeed/ outfeed tables. Now it's easy to plane 8'+ boards with little to no snipe.

Nice that you can move the blades side to side - gives you at least 5-6 adjustments for nicks in the blades. Don't know what everyone is complaining of. You're going to have to do a light sanding or scrape no matter what planer you use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delta 13" Knives, March 19, 2007
Love this planer and these blades. If you get a knick or two, just slide one of the blades to the left or right. That will get you a little farther. Then when another knick comes in, just flip the blades around and then keep going. Then the third knick, slide one blade left or right. Might even be able to get a few additional slides to right or left out of the blades. They are inexpensive enough that these minor tweaks will get you a very long way on the planing effort.

Then, replace with a new set. Watch the prices and pick them up ahead of time when they are on sale. Great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the money I'm Happy, June 28, 2008
This planer has served me well with the blades that came with it. I created an altar for my church that used several hard exotic woods. I planed a lot of wood. I haven't had to flip the blades over yet. I take light cuts and that seems to really extend the life compared to what other reviews have noted about blade wear.

I'm buying an extra set of blades just because I always like to have wear & tear items handy when you need them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›