Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Tap Giveaway Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Style Name: 2277 with 23 Stitches|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 25, 2011
Style Name: 2259 with 19 Stitches|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The conventional wisdom in buying sewing machines (among people who sew a lot) is to spend around $500 minimum. This may mean buying used, because sewing machines can be very pricy. In general, I agree with this philosophy. There are definite advantages to higher end machines. That said, this decidedly lower end machine performed quite a bit beyond my expectations.

The most important thing for a sewing machine to do is to hold its tension. Bad tension control of your thread means bad stitches and endless frustration. I've heard horror stories about poor tension on low end machines. This machine has very good tension. The motor growls a little before starting when you depress the foot pedal. Once you get going, it is pretty easy to control the speed, which is important too, for precision.

The straight stitching is very nice. Straight stitching is, by far, the thing you will do most on a sewing machine, whether you are doing garments or quilts and crafts. The next most important thing is the zig-zag, and there is no problem there either. This machine also has a number of utility stitches, including a blind hem stitch and several stretch stiches. There are no real decorative stitches. To me this is not a drawback, since I use them little. if at all.

Singer supplies only basic feet with this machine. You get the standard presser foot, a zipper foot, buttonhole foot, and a foot for sewing on buttons. I have not used the machine to sew in a zipper, but I have made several buttonholes. They came out fine, and the four-step buttonhole process is simple. Always do a sample buttonhole using a scrap of fabric and interfacing before you do one on your garment, in order to get the size and density of the stitches correct. I think Singer could have thrown in a quarter-inch foot, a darning (hopping) foot and a blind hem foot while they were at it. Generic low-shank feet should fit. I attached a quilting hopping foot from another low-shank machine and it worked just fine. Likewise I attached a walking foot and it fit and worked. This machine isn't optimal for quilting because of the small harp area, but it would be okay for placemats or really small quilts.

The manual I received with the machine was in Spanish. Upon request, Amazon supplied me with a link to download the manual in English for free. The manual is pretty spotty, but it covers the most important stuff. Threading directions are on the machine itself. One issue I have is that there are no maintenance directions at all, except for how to change the lightbulb. An empty oil bottle was supplied with the machine. I guess this makes sense because there were no instructions on how, where, or when to oil. Oh, except in the troubleshooting section where it said to "lubricate as described" if the machine was noisy. I'm not sure where they "describe" it; I sure couldn't find it. Based on my experience with similar machines, I'd oil in the shuttle area where the bobbin case sits. That area can also be dis-assembled for a thorough cleaning, but the manual doesn't mention doing this at all. They don't even tell you that you should remove the needle plate and clean around the feeddogs, which is pretty important.

So, in summary, if you want to see if you'd like sewing and don't want to spend over a hundred dollars for a machine, you could do a lot worse than this one. Change the needle once in a while. Try to find someone who sews to show you how to maintain it. Durability is an issue that I can't speak to, but I am not a person who worries about plastic parts in a machine. Most modern machines, even high-end, have plastic parts. If you become more serious about sewing and want to graduate to a higher end model, this machine would be a good backup machine, or a machine to take to classes. It's really pretty good for the money.
1313 comments|740 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I found the Singer 2259 Tradition 20-Stitch Sewing Machine to be all that I really need.

First off, I am not an ambitious sewer. Actually, my sewing is concentrated to making crafts like doll clothes for my daughter, basic cloth purses and simple clothing modifications (like turning pants to skirts).

I have an old, second-hand Brother that gets jammed so much that I can no longer tolerate it.

Although the Singer is roughly the same size with a similar set-up, it is definitely a better machine for me.

Pros.

The bright white outer shell is hard and durable enough, but decidedly lighter in weight than my grungy-creme beast. It is not a burden to pull this one out of the closet, and once it's out, it's not an embarrassment if company should come over unexpectedly.

Singer is not re-inventing the wheel. I appreciate that I can start sewing without having to get re-acclimated to an altogether new design.

The foot easily comes off (which I list as both a pro & con). On the pro side. it makes switching feet a realistic thing for me to readily do, instead of avoiding (which I did with old machine).

Great accessories, including more needles.

The machine is pretty quiet.

Cons:

I wish it were easier to get off the needle. On my Brother I could simply turn the screw on the machine instead of needing an additional tool (provided).

The foot can come off if you bump it a certain way (listed in pro for diff. reason). I was removing fabric I had just sewn. Fortunately, this only occurred once and it was easy to pop back on.

I'm not thrilled by the reverse button, for some reason...On my Brother it's wide and further back. This one is smaller in a "U" dip, closer to the platform. It feels very awkward to me, but I think that it might be more of my preference after doing it a different way for so long.

*Ultimately, the true test will be in how long it lasts. I have received no indication that there are troubles ahead based on performance thus far.
33 comments|217 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have been sewing for about 50+ years. I started on my grandmother's Singer treadle machine. When I got a little older, I used my other grandmother's electric Singer machine (big time for those days). Over the years I've always had Singer machines. I've made my own clothes, clothes for my boys. I've quilted, made gifts.

Nowadays I don't sew as much. I use the machine for mending and some special projects but I'll have twin grandbabies soon and wanted to start making a few things for them.

So, since the tension on my old machine didn't work right, I got a new Singer 2259 Machine. I get the new machine, open the shipping box (packed very well by the way) and what do I find? An instruction manual ALL in Spanish. Not in English AND Spanish but all Spanish. I am not a happy camper. I don't care that I've sewed for 50 years. Every machine is a little different plus it's been a few years since I've done much sewing except for mending and I want a manual I can read. AND I didn't think I should have to download and print an English manual - I am the customer.

NOTE: If you get this machine and end up having to print your own manual, be sure to notice that the link noted on the Amazon product page takes you to an English/Spanish combo manual. Be sure to change the page numbers on your print page so you get just the English pages.

So - I did get my machine threaded, etc. and used it. It worked great on a lightweight cotton material using all stitches - thread tension is perfect. I made a few practice buttonholes and it works fine (not an auto buttonholer but then the price doesn't warrant that luxury). I also had a project and needed to sew through four thicknesses of heavy toweling (terry cloth) material. The machine did pretty darn well. I broke one needle so was glad for the spares but the stitches were straight, tension was fine.

CONS:
The bottom of the foot pedal is almost smooth so tended to drift around on my hardwood floor. I can put some rubber feet on it myself but would have been nice if it came with them.

The reverse sewing lever is in an awkward position. I don't know how old my last machine was but it seems the reverse lever was on the right side of the machine and the shape was easier to use, too.

There is nothing in the manual about maintenance of the machine, such as oiling locations on the machine, type of oil to use, how to get the bobbin securing plates out (and especially back in which can be tricky) to clean out fuzz that accumulates while sewing.

I would have liked the second spool pin included rather than making it an option. I am definitely old-school and like my thread on an upright pin rather than one that lies in its side.

I would have given the machine 4.5 stars rounded up to 5 if not for the manual situation. Very frustrating. And I'm not even a novice seamstress.
99 comments|266 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2015
I bought this machine over a year ago and was never able to finish a project because of tension issues. I could never sew more than a few inches without my bobbin thread getting tangled and bunched up under my fabric. I WORK at a Joann's Fabric and Craft store and couldn't figure it out even with the help of my more experienced co-workers. Out of desperation I looked over every inch of the machine and saw a screw on the bobbin case. So I tightened it, and it worked! I'm actually able to sew and finish quality projects now, which is such a relief since I was ready to give up on it all together.
review image review image
on September 22, 2011
I am extremely happy with my sewing machine purchase. I spent a great deal of time reading reviews and looking at machines before choosing the Singer Tradition. It is a sturdy machine and performs well.
I am a beginner sewer, but have had no difficulty with learning to use the machine or its features. I have had limited difficulty with bobbin winding and tangles - all were due to lack of experience and patience on my part. That being said, I have also had no difficulty jumping in with both feet and learning from books and friends without any formal classes.
I have already made several placemats and have plans for napkins and tablecloths. Over the weekend, I helped my son make a doll from a pattern I drew up and I am planning to start on clothes soon.
I think this is a good machine for a beginner and will carry through more advanced projects fine without having to upgrade to a more expensive machine. I have used it to sew both denim and tapestry fabric without problem.
review image
0Comment|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2012
I purchased this model recently. I ran into so many issues with this model that I had to return it. The major issue faced with this machine was that it constantly jammed when sewing. I tuned the tensions. Rethreaded the machine a ton of times and the machine just kept jamming. It couldn't get through 10 stitches without jamming. After spending several hours reading "trouble shooting" advice on the internet, reading the manual and watching the DVD, the problems persisted and I gave up deciding to return it. I purchased another make/model in the same price range and had no issues. After reading several other reviews of this machine online I noticed many women had this same issues with this model. I only wish I would have read the reviews before purchasing.
1111 comments|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2013
My old mechanical Singer finally broke after 15+ years (and would have probably lasted longer if I had maintenanced it).
1. I chose this over the ones with lots of programing, because I didn't want something that was going to break in a year or two. I had read that the less expensive programable ones tend to break easily. I mainly wanted a programable for the button holes (see below).
2. I read the reviews on this one and some say that the bobbin was hard to wind. This is true only if you follow the directions in the book. I tried those directions and wasted 2 spools of thread- there is NO way it will work like that. I asked a friend for help and here is what you do to wind the bobbin correctly: DO NOT put the tread through the silver loop marked #1.INSTEAD- pull the thread directly from the spool and bring it over to the silver thing that it tells you to wrap it around, but wrap the opposite way from the picture- wrap it like a J, the pull it up and around over to the bobbin area. It sounds confusing, but its simple- just a simple figure 8 directly from spool to bobbin, but make sure you wrap from the bottom not the top like in the usless picture- and viola, perfect bobbins:)
3. Button holes were always a problem for me- but not any more!! There is a button hole foot with this that is super simple! You just make a dot on your fabric where the center of the top stitch will be and begin. The machine has a dial that lets it know you are sewing a button hole, you still have to turn the dial between steps, but you never have to turn the fabric around. (you will need to operate the pedal), but It starts by sewing the right side length, then you turn the dial and make the left to right stitches (I like to do those by turning the handle myself for 3 complete stitches), then you switch the dial again and it will automatically go in reverese to sew the other side, then finish by making the top left/right stiches and you are done. So simple, and I have made some horrible, horrible button holes in the past, but this is so easy I no longer dread button holes! It even has a foot to sew the button on!
4. The spool does not stick straight up like my old sewing machine - instead it is sort of recessed at the top of the machine- this is nice because I tend to take my machine to my friends house and once the spool holder on my old one broke while in the trunk (I fixed it with heavy tape)- this one will not break the way it is designed.
Finally- I would recommend this machine! It gets the job done, makes frustrating things easy and because it is mechanical I believe it will last another 15+ years:)
Style Name: 2277 with 23 Stitches|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I just want to note something - there's a little hidden cabinet with a little nub thing that goes on top of the thread. Use it. If you don't you will have various problems. I think that is why there are some lower reviews.

Cons:The automatic needle threader, barely works, if ever. Maybe I am not using it right and need more time with it. I've just not been able to get this one working like I could on my last machine, which was a different brand. The foot doesn't lift very high, making it hard to get into any improper angles. Sometimes I like to use my improper angles.

The prong that holds the thread on is horizontal, as opposed to vertical, this only gets in the way when changing thread, and pretty much forces you to use the cap over the prong, something I've rarely needed to do with other machines. At first I thought this was a horrid machine, until I figured out I needed that cap. Use the cap.

Pros: The machine runs very smoothly, and rarely snags, even on heavy layering.
It has a good number of stitch settings, and settings such as stitch looseness, width and length are much more explanatory than some other machines. It has the functions listed below the setting dials. I find this very helpful. Also, this machine doesn't run as fast as other machines, it's fast enough - but I'm finding that my seams are looking better because it keeps me from being a speed demon.
It has a handy compartment to keep smaller parts and accessories.

I think it's a great machine for basic sewing and for learners.
1212 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 22, 2012
For many, many years now, the Singer name has been one that seamstresses and tailors the world over have come to rely on for fair-priced, quality products. This basic starter machine is no different.

Not being entirely new to sewing, and being blessed with a mom whose sewing skills garnered her a full scholarship to The Art Institute of Chicago fresh out of high school, I've been looking at sewing machines for the entirety of my life. Less so in the using of them myself... In fact, back in middle school, I harassed my High School Occupational Clothing teacher mom to teach me how to sew. She took me to the fabric store (which I'd visited with her countless times before), had me choose my pattern and fabric, and took me home, telling me, "now, cut out the pattern pieces, lay them out on the fabric, pin them down, cut them out, then call me". I don't think I got halfway through laying out the pattern pieces and cutting them out before I went to her and said, "Mom, I don't understand why I have to cut all these little pieces of fabric out, just to sew them back into the one big piece I coulda started with!". In frustration, Mom told me not to bug her about sewing again, and SHE ended up finishing the garment herself. We still chuckle over it to this day.

All that just goes back to me having seen her sew using primarily Singer sewing machines over the entirety of my life. When I finally decided to teach myself to sew a few years ago, I was forever calling her, hollering, "MA!!!" any time I came to something I just couldn't quite get. And using this Tradition sewing machine provides no different experience than I've had with any of my other sewing machines, even the more pricey ones: you simply have to give yourself the time to truly LEARN your machine.

I've seen this machine at a Black Friday price for just under a hundred note, just over it (here on Amazon), and WELL over it, at a mall retailer's online site. The hundred- to one hundred fifty dollar price range for this machine is fair, and, as always, you get what you pay for. It's money well-spent here, but there are no super-fancy bells and whistles, just all of the basic stitches that any beginning or intermediate seamstress or tailor is most likely to use with the most frequency. The included DVD is a great tool, to boot, for anyone new to any of this machine's features, or sewing itself. It's a smart way for Singer to ensure that you use their product as they intended, and they take the time to show you how.

The automatic needle threader is pretty much standard nowadays with your average machine, and I didn't find it difficult to use, as my other machines each have one, and, once you've acclimated to pulling the thread under the horizontal bar, looping the thread around the "finger" on the automatic threader, then pulled the lever of the threader down and passed that thread through the arms that flank the needle, it's just a matter of slowly releasing that lever so that it retracts up into the machine. As you go through those steps, a small hook enters the eye of the needle, pulling the thread through, and leaving a small loop that you then continue to pull away from you, to the rear of your machine. It's that simple to thread the needle, and it IS a helpful feature.

One of the other issues that can pose problems during sewing is properly and evenly getting the bobbin wound. If the thread is wound unevenly on the bobbin, it'll be nothing but problems when you try to sew using that bobbin. My mother has told me that, unless she had access to a much more pricey machine whose main purpose is to thread bobbins (not something your average home seamstress/tailor will have regular access to), she has always guided the thread with her finger or nail as she has wound her bobbins on her machines. She's told me that she's had that problem with many of her sewing machines, and it's just something she expects she'll have to do, so she simply guides the thread up and down herself, in order to ensure an evenly-wound bobbin.

This Singer offers all of the accessories that your average, casual seamstress/tailor is going to have a need for. Any extra standard physical accessories are typically easy to get from a local well-stocked fabric store...

With this Singer 2277, I really like how snugly the compartment tray fits against the sewing machine "table", if you will. It initially feels like it's too loose, but then, as you push it further in towards the center of the machine, it catches, fitting snugly in place, and with a low enough base that there's little to no gap where pins or other notions can get caught under the machine, and become painful little surprises in the midst of a sewing job (not that I'm speaking from experience here or anything! ; D ). The foot pedal behaves the same as any other that I've used, and you just have to start pressing slowly with your foot to get the machine rolling. You can hear the engine rev up as you apply more pressure, then it's off and running at a moderate, but more than adequate, sewing speed, with the soothing purr of a quality machine motor.

Overall, I think this Singer model offers everything that the starting seamstress/tailor might be looking for in a starter machine that will take them further along the sewing path. There aren't a lot of bells and whistles, and you have to make sure you're using quality thread to avoid any issues with thread snarls or bunches, but everything that you need to get started sewing is here, and at a price that's more than fair. Just be sure that you use the cap to hold the spool of thread in place as you sew, that your bobbin is properly wound, and that your needles are always perfectly straight - not dull or bent - and you should have no problems zipping through mending or full-blown sewing jobs, once you've taken the time to really LEARN your machine, and figure out exactly what to do in each situation. The enclosed manuals and DVD are exactly what you need to become a successful at-home seamstress or tailor, and, if you want more information, Vogue Sewing, Revised and Updated is a GREAT tome for the new-to-experienced individual, and The Complete Book of Sewing New Edition is great for the beginner who likes lots of images to show you just how things should look...

Happy sewing!
on April 10, 2015
I got this for Christmas 2014 because I wanted to learn to sew. The book that came with it didn't help much in getting started, but after many YouTube videos, I finally got the bobbin threaded right and was off and running.
I hemmed 4 pairs of kid's jeans and made myself a shirt. Then the machine started binding up. I'd open the bobbin case and thread would be all bound up around the hook and my material pulled down into the feed teeth so I'd have to cut it to free it from the bobbin. Took everything apart, rethreaded. It sewed a few stitches, then did it again. Long story short... I've watched videos, read websites, talked to experienced sewers and can't figure out why it keeps doing this. I'm giving up. I've spent hours and hours rethreading the machine instead of doing actual sewing. Really discouraging for a beginner! I've read tons of reviews from others with similar issues with this machine. No help though, their suggestion was get a different machine.
I'll be finishing my current project by hand and probably looking for new machine. We didn't get an extended warranty or anything, so I'm stuck with a giant paperweight.
review image