5.0 out of 5 stars Delta Scores 5 Stars with this Bench Grinder

3.0 out of 5 stars Unnecessary Set-Up Difficulty
Published on February 1, 2001 by David Neal

5.0 out of 5 stars Delta Scores 5 Stars with this Bench Grinder, June 27, 2000
AuthorToo (Melbourne, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DELTA 23-665 6-Inch Thin-Line Bench Grinder with Flexible Lamp (Tools & Home Improvement)
Let's face it, tool-wise bench grinders are about as exciting as watching a lake dry up. When I finally had enough of bruised knuckles from rounded screwdrivers slipping off what were once useful screw heads and dull drill points I went shopping for a reliable bench grinder that could be had at an affordable price. One quickly learns that the choice of under $100 grinders comes down to Delta, Craftsman, DeWalt, and some assorted imports. All I look for in a grinder is 1. Smooth, quiet, vibration free operation (good bearings), 2. Reasonable power, 3, Solid tool rests that include a groove for sharpening drills and 4. Safety features that include well designed eye protection, spark suppression, and adequate lighting. The Delta 23-665 has all these features and has a great price. It runs quiet and vibration free on some nice rubber mounts. It takes about 15 minutes to assemble the shields and tool rests and since it's imported from China, have your metric wrenches ready. Maybe high quality at low cost is pretty exciting after all!

4.0 out of 5 stars BEST BUY, October 18, 2000
BRADLEY KELLER (Tillamook Oregon) - See all my reviews
Do not be afraid of this one guys.In it's price range it's a real gem.Delta has stood in the shadows of some of the higher profile tool makers for too long.Dont let the lack of a fancy paint job or full page ad's fool you.this guy is quiet,powerful and affordable.with so many options and a little creativity you can do so much with a bench grinder.I would say it's a must have for any shop.I've been running mine for years and it's still going strong.Now get out there and grind something.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Grinder / Nice Price, April 9, 2001
I purchased this grinder a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. It runs smoothly and quietly. I'll be replacing the medium gray wheel with a better quality white/fine grinding wheel at the recommendation of a couple of friends. Nothing wrong with the wheels provided if those are the grits you need though, ie., for lawnmower blades, etc.
The light is helpful. So far, I've been able to use the grinder without bolting it to the work bench. I'll do that soon, but it's heavy enough to remain in one place without bolting it down, at least for the light work I've been doing with it.
Changing the wheels seems simple enough. Haven't done it yet, but I don't expect any issues. Mine came with no stickers on the plexiglass eye shields. Maybe Delta read the previous users comments...??? ;-)
I give it 5 stars because I believe it does exactly what it's supposed to and I have zero complaints.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unnecessary Set-Up Difficulty, February 1, 2001
David Neal (Huntsville, Al.) - See all my reviews
I purchased this tool through Amazon/Tool Crib. No problems in receiving the tool. The tool performs as advertised and was a very good price. The reason I gave it three stars was due to the difficulty I experienced in setting the grinder up. The grinder includes two spark deflector (plexi-glass) lenses. For some idiotic reason, Delta choose to adhere stickers (advertising) to these lenses. The stickers must be removed to see the grinding wheel through them. The stickers were not the easy to peel off type that you would expect, but must have been adhered to the lenses with superglue. It was very difficult removing these stickers and the spark deflectors were scratched in the process. This whole exercise was unnecessary and extremely frustrating. Now I am reminded everytime I look through the scratched lenses.

Rate and Discover Movies