5.0 out of 5 stars A NEW and BRILLIANT Robert Miles!
Published on June 4, 2000 by T. J. Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Reality Sucks!
Published on October 20, 1999 by Joel Kathrens

5.0 out of 5 stars A NEW and BRILLIANT Robert Miles!, June 4, 2000
T. J. Allen (Vandenberg, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 23 Am (Audio CD)
Contrary to many of the previous reviews from listeners, this CD is an exceptional piece of work. If you liked the repetative, "Whomp..Whomp..Whomp..Whomp..Whomp" sound of the "Dreamland" CD, you probably agree with the afore mentioned critics. If you bought Dreamland for the track "Children", and also liked "One and One" for example, you WILL go nuts over this disk. Robert proves himself to be quite versatile here, with a variety of beats and moods.
"Everyday Life", with robust female vocals, has much, much, more personality than anything off of "Dreamland". This song is over ten minutes of pleasure, and blends wonderfully into "Freedom", which does remind me of "Children" to a degree, but with vocals and a more uplifting beat. I first heard "Maresias" using my diskman, while watching planes from the observation deck at LAX's theme building. This track is absolutely, phenominally, mood setting. I have never been so humbled in all of my life. An absolutely beautiful combination of piano, synthesizer, sax, and trumpets blends wonderfully with a relaxing, Latin tempo. Miles is pulling away from the pack when it comes to Modern Contemporary music. BUY IT NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Weaver of Profound Sensations, February 23, 2004
This review is from: 23 Am (Audio CD)
One thing I really love about Robert Miles is how one album never sounds similar to another he's done. He's constantly reinventing himself and trying new things, fully aware of the fact that not everyone is going to like it. He's a risk taker and I've always appreciated that in a musician.
Many consider 'Dreamland' to be his masterpiece thus far but '23 AM' has grown on me considerably since I first got it over a year ago and I personally feel that this is his best and most diverse work yet. The songs take a while to get going sometimes but it's recommended that you lay back and simply immerse yourself in the music, and without any distractions to effectively increase your enjoyment. Of course it's completely safe to drive with this blaring in your car stereo as well for it will hardly put you to sleep... Albeit many of the melodies start out melodically slow with soft female cooing, the pace is very well-balanced between trancy upbeat tempos and lulling rhythms that flow like the gentle lapping of waves against the shore.
I myself prefer the hypnotic beats of "Everyday Life" and "Full Moon" with the ethereal vocals of Nancy Danino, however a lot of people seem to think the two songs "Freedom" and "Enjoy" to have cheesy lyrics when I in fact find them spiritually uplifting with positive messages, both beautifully sung with edgy soul by the emotive Kathy Sledge. As for the instrumentals I thoroughly enjoy "A New Flower" with the strange baby samples and the lush, dreamy "Textures" but, IMO, every track is beyond incredible.
I doubt '23 AM' will ever garner the kind of praise it truly deserves but I highly recommend this to fans of chillout and trance.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have..., December 1, 1999
Joe P Hoggan (Vero Beach, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 23 Am (Audio CD)
"23am" is a splendid product of Robert Miles' continuing growth as an artist. Comparing tracks from "Dreamland" to "23am" reveals new depth and appeal. Though it is among my favorite CDs, "Dreamland's" tracks tend to share the same fundamental sound throughout the album. Robert Miles introduces greater variety in "23am", providing each track with it's own distinct character. The true value of this album is found by sitting back at the end of a long day, closing your eyes, and savoring it's entire length. Robert Miles' new sound is beautiful, yet unobtrusive. It fuels the imagination, and sets the mind at ease.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robert Miles second album, Strong Message, Great Music, October 1, 2000
This review is from: 23 Am (Audio CD)
Robert Miles first CD "Dreamland", and hit single "Children" both possessed awesome dream style techno, and definately brought his past trance roots out for show-and-tell, but his new album "23am" brings more than just great new music in his style. He brings a powerful message: "...there are masses of people out there that are strenuously fighting to better this world, now devestated by man." as quoted from the liner notes. If you liked dreamland, especially the track "Fable", I think you will love this album, and hopefully we can all learn something from his travels and message.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reality Sucks!, October 20, 1999
Joel Kathrens (Spokane, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 23 Am (Audio CD)
Well, not really, but I perfer the world of dreams. Robert Miles does have some nice almost Jarre-esque soundscapes on this album, but it just doesn't stand out to me as Dreamland did, this being more of an ambient background music. There are also no standout tracks such as Children, Fable (Message version), and One and One. It's nice relaxation stuff nevertheless, but I perfer his earlier album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Journey From Robert Miles, August 4, 2005
This review is from: 23 Am (Audio CD)
This release as well as his earlier work Dreamland, is worth getting. Anyone who has listened to Children on the radio knows his immaculate style. If you have been exposed to only a little Robert Miles and don't know if you should get any, trust me, take the plunge. Get this and Dreamland. You will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different from Dreamland, but definitely worth a listen, January 9, 2000
J. Mueller (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 23 Am (Audio CD)
When I first listened to this CD, I expected to hear the danceable music similar to the well known "Children", and "One and One". What I heard were very beautiful, relaxing, moody ambient tracks. I quickly fell in love with this CD, and I've found it appropriate for listening no matter what kind of mood I'm in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robert Miles at his best!, June 1, 2005
This review is from: 23 Am (Audio CD)
I bought Robert Miles cd Dreamland a couple of years ago, because I was just looking for something new to listen to. I never heard of him before, but man can I tell you. He is so very talented, and his style is not like any other DJ. The female vocalists, emotion, and the feel for it is done so perfectly.

I highly recommend this cd for any person who enjoys trance music, but also has a taste and passion for vocals. All of Robert Miles cds are great to relax to, or even would be great for playing in a salon. It has a very special touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Evolution of a Sound..., May 28, 2002
"skippman" (Ballwin, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 23 Am (Audio CD)
Trance in general is designed to be more of an experience than a sound bite. Trance is the Pink Floyd of my generation. With artists like Robert Miles, Brian Torseau (BT), and Moby creating experiences more than simple pieces of music.
It's inevitable that 23 AM will be compared to Dreamland, Mile's previous work. To do so is both foolish and unfair to the artist. Dreamland was a brilliant piece of work when it was released. It was never intended to be a Rave album. Robert so much as said so. And 23 AM is a continuation of the evolution of music. With one track blending seamlessly into another this CD should be considered as a whole, not as parts.
A new flower is a journey through sound with various pieces merging to form a cohesive whole, setting the scene for Everyday Life. Everyday life contains one of my favorite lines from any Trance song, "Maybe this world isn't broken. Reality in reverse. Maybe it's just a shadow, of a parallel universe."
If you are looking for an experience, I highly suggest you grab this CD. If you're looking for something to rock your next block party, you're already in the wrong genre. Anyone who's into the Trance scene knows Robert's reputation. Find out how he earned it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than "Dreamland" in the long run, June 15, 2001
This review is from: 23 Am (Audio CD)
I loved "Dreamland." I bought "23am" hoping for something as good. On first listen, I loved "Introducing," with its wonderful soundscape atmosphere ... then I didn't like "A New Flower," with the crying baby ... then I thought I didn't like the album as well as "Dreamland." That was three years ago. "Dreamland" now mostly gathers dust & there's parts of the CD I can barely stand to listen to 'cause I way overplayed it. "23am," on the other hand, I still listen to regularly & sometimes repeatedly & it's one of my all-time favorite CDs. It really grew on me, and I think part of this is that it's more challenging & varied than "Dreamland," less easy to get. I have come to love & prize it, and it's great to listen to while, say, writing.

23 Am
23 Am by Robert Miles (Audio CD - 1997)
Rate and Discover Movies