5.0 out of 5 stars A steal for the price
I think for $99 this is quite a steal. I took it to mainly get my genetic markers for methylation for some health issues and got much more. Yasko's test for methylation genes costs $495 and you only get 30 genes while with 23andme you get nearly a million genes for a fraction of the price. I do agree that you really need some 3rd party software to do some interpretation...
Published 21 months ago by Paula Thomas

945 of 1,053 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars The details of their privacy policy
I ordered a kit several weeks ago, but I have yet to return it. Why? Because I read the (incredibly detailed) fine print of their privacy policy and started doing some research on genetic privacy. Even if you decide to opt-out of 23andMe's research program and don't give them any "Self-Reported" information, 23andMe still sells their partners more than enough data to...
Published 19 months ago by johny q

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A steal for $100, June 13, 2013
This review is from: 23andMe Personal Genome Service: DNA Test for Health and Ancestry Information (Health and Beauty)
23andme is essentially a steal for $100.

Just from the health point of view they check for multiple sensitive genetic markets that can have profound impact. For example the APOE gene who is one of the biggest factor to develop Alzheimer disease is checked by them. Just a blood test alone with your regular HC provider for this marker would easily take you back $100+. Then they check many other important known genetic factors known to cause problems. The information is very clearly presented.

Regarding the ancestry although somewhat confusing it can be interesting. The relative finder will find people on the service who are close to you and also you can learn a bit about your maternal and paternal line.

The negative reviews here miss the point. Of course it takes some time, it's a popular service and they check on on about 1000000 points in your genome. Then if you look Asian, your family is Asian, and you were born in Asia do not be disappointed when 23andme comes back and it tells you are indeed Asian. It's probably true that Europeans get more fine tuned results but the fact they can tell you all this from some spit is fascinating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw data for schizophrenia research is the hidden gem for me., August 9, 2013
This product has a lot of negative reviews with customer service, which I can't comment on since I didn't have a problem with that. I ordered directly from 23andMe. When they told me 6-8 weeks, it took the whole 8 weeks for all of the results. Now that they're advertising on TV, I suppose they'll be backlogged quite a bit. Be patient for your results.

I got the test because Schizophrenia runs in my family. The link to schizophrenia on their website, with your chances of getting it, is trivial at best. Your genotypes are only compared to two studies; one for Asian males, and one for European males. I took the raw data of my chromosomes from 23andMe, and compared it to the schizophrenia gene database, [...] What I am missing right now is a list of the most important genes related to schizophrenia, so I can compare my results to that of the database and all of the associated studies. I don't have schizophrenia, but I am doing this to know what the chances are of my children developing it. I am trying to get my family to take it as well, so I can compare my DNA to the person who has schizophrenia. They have a tool on their website for comparisons to people in your family.

The real value of 23andMe is the raw data. If you have something that runs in your family, knowing your genes and comparing it to real medical studies, is the best way to go. The studies on 23andMe are limited. The other feature that I found really interesting is the chances for side-effects of popular medications. It was spot-on with a side-effect I had in the past with a medication I took for a while.

One final note, the features that tell you where your ancestry is from, and how much "Neanderthal" you are, seems like it is more for entertainment purposes only. If that is the only reason you are buying this product, consider passing on it. Also, (I'm not a gene expert...) the genotype it shows for your chromosomes might not seem to match up with medical studies at first, until you convert yours to the corresponding opposites. I.E., A<>T, C<>G, or something like that lol...

Overall, I give it 5 stars, because you can get all of your genetic raw data for $99. I also find that knowing what medical conditions to look out for when I get older is invaluable. Anything else, like ancestry and eye color, are for entertainment only, IMHO

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother if you aren't of european ancestry, May 14, 2013
Like many other reviewers, my results took forever - 2 full months from when I mailed my sample. So much for the "4-6 weeks" estimate they provided when I bought the kit.

I was interested in the health risk profile. Almost all factors and risk analysis are versus people of european heritage though. I'm east asian, and a few health risks include data on asian populations (what does "asian" entail anyway? the indian subcontinent? east / southeast asia?), but woefully few. Of course it's not 23 and me's fault that little data on non-europeans exists; however, i believe 23 and me ought to have disclosed this limitation.

Some parts of the results are fun, like the ability for the test to identify our physical traits using our dna. The traits results were generally correct. Overall, I liken this product to going to a psychic (albeit an expensive, slow one). There are enough grains of truth in the results to make the product believable, but I'd take it all with a grain of salt.

In terms of user experience, the website is very confusing. I had a very difficult time navigating it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adoptees searching for biological relatives might want to consider this, July 20, 2014
My husband was adopted at birth and decided to turn to DNA testing. He chose 23 and me based on both cost and the DNA predictors on being potentially predisposed to certain health problems. Since he was adopted at birth and had no info on the birth family, he also wanted to know a bit about his ancestry as he is caucasian, but has darker reddish skin and black hair. On the review...results were fairly slow coming in and they don't (or didn't) have a customer service line. The ancestry info wasn't all that informative as he's 97% of unknown european ancestry on his paternal side. All of that didn't matter when he had a second and third cousin match though. Thier blog type interface and private messaging enabled him to quickly contact his matches and within a couple months he'd met his birth mother. Within another few months he'd met his three bio half siblings. My husband's experience was likely one in a million, but I would encourage adoptee who are seeking information on their ancestry or wanting a DNA based profile of being potentially predisposed to certain health condiitons to consider this service.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst customer service I have ever encountered!, November 13, 2013
There is absolutely no customer service and their website is atrocious! I have tried multiple times to discuss an issue regarding testing my extremely ill, elderly father and have had no response. The wrong kits have been sent. If everything works out correctly, this may be a good service, but one little glitch and you are out of luck.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless, June 18, 2013
My wife and I sent in our "spit samples" on the same day. Six weeks later 23& Me had no results for her. Six weeks later there were no "Ancestry Results" for me. They make it very hard to contact them probably because they get so many customer complaints. I had my credit card issuer reverse the charges made by this "rip off" company.

1.0 out of 5 stars They can't read my DNA, August 9, 2013
Even after sending me a replacement test they can't read my DNA. They are offering to refund the money I paid for the test but offered NO explanation as to why they couldn't read it. I followed the directions to the letter both times. This concerns me.

5.0 out of 5 stars narcissists dream, March 25, 2014
I'm very satisfied with this service. The price is affordable and the information is priceless. I've had fun learning more about myself. I'm not paranoid about my data being misused and I hope that any information I've provided will be helpful for research.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great idea - work in progress, November 1, 2013
I see a bunch of the other reviews and I'm sometimes confused as to what people expect. So to put it out there - don't go into this expecting 100% accurate results. It's just unrealistic to expect that. This is a relatively new science which still has a long ways to go before it's really "mature."

So why did I rate it 5 stars? Because it's probably the best $100 I've spent in a long time (we'll get to why in a second). And if most people really sit down and think about what they spend their money on, they'd probably agree. I think it's safe to assume that if you're seriously looking at these reviews then you are probably considering the idea of buying this product. So you likely have a couple of extra hard earned dollars to spend. Sound about right? Good, then when was the last time you ate out? Before I bought this product for my wife and I, I are out at Olive Garden and spent $50 including the tip. Two days later that $50 went flushing down the drain. So what, you may ask, makes this product worth not being able to go out to eat for a couple nights?

Simple - the information provides insight on how my choices may affect my life, both now and in the future when I'm 50+. Some of the things I have increased risk for are Gout, AMD, and Alzheimer's. I knew Gout would be in there, but the other two I did not. So I have already slightly adjusted my eating habits to better reflect what current research says will help to delay or even prevent these diseases.

Will it work? I have no way of knowing today, and I probably won't for a long time. But if I'm able to keep my eye sight for one more year, or my mind for an extra 6 months - don't you think that's worth $100?

I do.

Just don't expect the world. Read your results thoroughly and understand that science takes time.

3.0 out of 5 stars The FDA restricted the most important part of, April 6, 2014
the testing - the health section. However, I was able to download raw data for me and family before the restriction in Dec. 2013.
I've had some auto-immune problems showing up late in late life and the report has helped me monitor my health better. I don't think the FDA is protecting anyone from this test, I've been more harmed by doctors not interpreting blood tests correctly in private practice than taking this simple and inexpensive spit test. My nutritionist recommended 23andme so she could help identify methylation and detox issues, through third party sites that you can upload your raw files to for free called geneticgenie.org

The ancestory part was a big surprise and the only part that presently exists. Relatives I haven't seen in 45 years showed up in the friends and family section. Found a couple of genes from parts of the world I would never suspect I had in me or my family, from over 500 years ago in the ancestory composition section. 23andme offers personalized ancestory information in forms of short reports, graphs, and charts. There is a lot of DNA composition revealed, which you can compare with others in your family. A test like this could be helpful for adoptees looking for clues into there origins. You can upload your ancestory files to gedmatch.com for more chromosone details for free. I am not a scientist, and the overall experience is fine with me because of it's simplicity. It's a segway to more advance knowledge if you are interested in genealogy. You can also build a family tree that could be a useful piece of information for future generations.

I took away a two stars because the support is below average, the reporting time is very slow, and the health reports are gone.

They are working with the FDA for approval before bringing back the health reports (if ever). They are looking for African American samples presently and suspect they will expand on both African and Asian populations in the future. I wish them the best, I think the founder has good intentions. Science takes time to evolve and they will be considered one of the first companies to bring genome testing to the mass market.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›