Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 24, 2012 9:47:03 AM PDT
mrsbee says:
Sorry, but this makes me a little suspect of the reviews, right off the bat. NOTHING is that perfect to EVERYONE. I'm thinking that the reviews given so far are from an already loyal "fan club" base. What literate amd relevant discussion have you seen lately that has absolutely no difference in opinions or statements? I'm not saying all of the reviewers aren't convinced of what they've said, I just think they all live on the same island, and are drinking the same kool-aid....just saying'. I'd be more likely to purchase a book based on somewhat more balanced reviews.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 10:23:14 PM PDT
I totally agree!

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 9:39:51 PM PDT
I just read the book- never heard anything before about the Paleo diet and two days ago if someone had told me to cut out cheese and whole grains for my health I would have told them they were insane.

Just read the book- if you don't agree with the premises after that it's fine, but there's no point arguing until you know what it's about!

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 8:25:18 PM PDT
The reviews make me wonder if someone was paid to create 5-star reviews. (Yes, that does happen.) MANY of the reviews are much longer and contain a higher quality of writing than the average Amazon review. It makes me very suspicious.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 7:49:38 AM PDT
Lisa Adams says:
I completely agree, as well. I've seen plenty of products with lots of 5-star reviews that deserve them. However, the reviews on here are all very well laid-out and quite long. Most product reviews have grammatical errors or are just a couple sentences that aren't all that informational. It also seems like most of these people are talking a lot about the authors as if they know them. I can't say whether this book will change your life or not, as I haven't read it, but it seems almost too good to be true.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 8:56:18 PM PST
S. Doyle says:
That's because they believe it. Paleo and especially Whole30 are amazing ways to put chronic disease into remission. There are stricter versions than Whole30 out there, but when people get excited about something that literally no one knows about, people write novels.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 3:54:36 PM PST
I just wrote a 5 star review for the book on 11/9/2012. I had never heard of the authors or their website before buying the book. I only bought it based on a co-worker's recommendation.

In my opinion, the book really does deserve all the 5 star reviews it has been getting. It lays out the science about picking the optimal food to eat, and then gives you a program to implement that plan.

If you're skeptical, I'd recommend trying the Whole30 program first. You can find the details through a google search, and the information is free. This book explains the science behind Whole30.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 9:30:44 PM PST
H. Raspet says:
Get the book from the library, that's what I did. I don't even remember where I heard about it, but I am not one to ever read non-fiction books; the most I do usually is skim through some pages, it just doesn't hold my attention long. But I am already on page 65 of this book, it is very interesting just reading the science of how the body works and the psychological and hormonal effects of food (that is as far as I've gotten, so far). Some how, the combination of science and translation of that science into easier concepts to understand what they are saying has captured my attention in a way not many other non-fiction books have.

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 11:06:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2013 11:07:37 PM PST
Library yes! I reserved it, 6 people (x up to 3 weeks each) ahead of me. Meanwhile, their website whole9 is very good, and a lot of the bare bones are downloadable in pdf.... shopping list, guidelines, getting started, etc. Yes, the 250 all 5* is fishy, I always notice which are amazon verified purchases.

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 1:32:32 PM PDT
Jason says:
We start our 3rd week of the Whole30 program tomorrow and I still feel like crap. We are eating right and spending tons at Costco to get the right ingredients. We crash around 2 PM every day and just want to go home and sleep. For a while I thought it was helping because my stomach didn't grumble as much but now it's just aching randomly and not feeling healthy. I even feel depressed. When I did Atkins years ago I felt way better eating tons of butter and bacon grease.

We had friends tell us how wonderful they felt after week 2 so I'm still holding out but I'd say if this feeling keeps up into next mid-week, I'm quitting and buying some dark chocolate, beer, and maybe a plate of Thai food.

Ultimately people just need to get active again and burn the calories they consume.

Some of the 5-star reviews are people saying things like "This book arrived in perfect condition." Faking reviews is big business now for books, Yelp reviews, websites, etc. Just about everyone does it and you have to in order to have a chance.

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 3:04:08 PM PDT
I found that the higher fat very low carb helped my mood, wasn't quite as LOW. as for the digestion issues, try taking some Betaine HCL hydrochloric acid. I'm back to drinking a green smoothie a day and feel better. Food has a vibration and meat, well that's low vibration, greens & fruit are higher. Try and find a balance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2013 5:34:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2013 6:01:44 PM PDT
Claire Burke says:
And in an astonishing number of them, "amazon verified purchase" and all, this is the reviewer's only review. OR they reviewed several other things the same/first day they've ever posted (one shill reviewed 3 different colors of the same exact toy).

Oh, and its now supposedly 542 5-star reviews.

Highly suspect (obvious, unethical) indeed. But easy enough to report to Amazon, so do it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Sep 24, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
It Starts with Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways
It Starts with Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways by Melissa Hartwig (Hardcover - June 12, 2012)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (1,429)