Is $259 a good price for Photoshop CS5 ? I got a discount code that gives me a $400 discount on this software. That sounds great, except that I don't need it.

From what I know, PS has a steep learning curve and is truly a professional tool - not something I am interested in becoming. My needs are minimal and I already got more software than I have time to learn.

As a comparison, for me this is like buying another new car at 1/3 of the price, when my garage is already full and I rather ride my bicycle to work. It would only make sense if I were to resell it later to people who can actually use it.

Is this option even possible with PS? How (and where) would I go about finding someone interested in it?
[UPDATED] asked by Master on February 22, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 34 answers
A
@ A. doeling
The main difference between Elements and CS5 (in regard to photos) is that Elements is simpler program for people with simpler needs (i.e. the difference between a hobbyist and a professional). Elements has more buttons that do things is a more "automatic" fashion, while CS5 gets more in-depth with the same functions so that a person can fine tune what they need done. In general, if Elements has a tool or function, CS5 has the same tool or function but does it a lot better. But in some cases CS5 has tools that Elements just plain doesn't have, such as layer masks and compositing capabilities (to name a few).

If you are looking for a program built more toward hobbyists and scrapbookers, Elements is the way to go. But if you're looking for a professional tool with more advanced capabilities, CS5 is well worth the upgrade.
P. G. Martin answered on February 26, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Where can I get a discount code like that? Is it for the full version?
Kathy N. Wheeler answered on February 25, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Kathy: yes, it's for the full version unrestricted software in the box. I got this discount code after buying other Adobe software that I did want to use.

But for PS CS5, I've got no use, and none of my friends wants it either. Those who use it, already have the current full version or can upgrade to it for less than $259.

So this is a great buy for those who don't have it and want a good deal on it. Let me know if interested.
Master answered on February 26, 2011

A
THANK YOU!!

to each and every one of you who took the time to share your experience, expertise, and wisdom with me (and other readers of this forum). Your contribution was valuable, as I read each post thoroughly before coming to a decision.

And although the impulse to be an unrestrained consumer almost got me buying *another* software I won't use, I've manage to contain myself and won't buy it. The reasons are multiple: I've already go the latest version of Lightroom 3, of which I only know and use very few features. Since I am already underutilizing LR3, there is no way I would learn PS CS5 too - specially with spring coming, and outdoor activities becoming my main focus.

I did consider getting it for a possible friend in need, but couldn't find one that wanted it. Those who are interested in this software already have it (or at least an old version that can be update to current for less than $259). Others are in the same predicament I'm in, and don't want to over-commit themselves either.

SO, I will just let this discount code expire in a few days, UNLESS one of you has any interest in it. IF YOU DO, then TRACK THIS DISCUSSION, as I will temporarily post my email address here in a day or two. I will delete it as soon as I post it, BUT If you are tracking this discussion, a copy of my post will be sent to your inbox. Use the email address I will provide to contact me directly with a PM, and we can go from there.

Again, thanks to all !
Master answered on February 26, 2011

A
I just saw your post and wanted to find out more about it because I always use the try version of photoshop cs5 but once is gone it is hard to get another try version. So, I am quite interested in buying the software, but as you know, the price is pretty high and when I saw your post I thought that maybe I can finally get it! So, is it the full version? If anything, how can I get such discount code?
Joao Jacome answered on September 12, 2011

A
Masters- do you still have the program? Im looking to buy one but just reading posts and info on it... it sounds amazing.
Maveric answered on November 16, 2011

A
How interesting. Amazon sold it for $389 in September, but now is up again several hundred dollars. I love the program and find it an excellent value for a price of around $300-400, but think $700 to $800 is a bit steep when you consider that Premiere Elements does almost as much for less than $100. If you can get it $259 I say "What are you waiting for?"
An Architect answered on November 16, 2011

A
I too received the discount code. I just like fooling around with images for the greeting cards and ATCs that I make. I've used Photoshop in the past and it does have a steep learning curve. I think the problem is that we purchase Photoshop and continue to rely on the 'old' program that we have, no matter what it is. As a retired teacher, I know that's not going to work. I'm going to order Photoshop today. When I get it, I'm taking everything else off my laptop and my desktop. I have the time to figure everything out and I will. One thing I know is that everything I did with my old software, Photoshop will do, it's just a matter of finding out where it is. I use that four letter word 'help' a lot. I'll also make use of all the tutuorials online. I'm looking forward to this journey.
C. E. Jackson answered on February 14, 2012

A
Really wanting to purchase CS5 but no way can afford the price! Where can I get the discount code you are talking about??
M. Armstrong answered on February 14, 2012

A
I've been trying to get Photoshop CS5 for a while (been using Elements 9), but the cost has been prohibitive. Today I got my coupon code and got Photoshop CS5 for $229.99 shipped. I couldn't be more ecstatic than I am right now!
P. G. Martin answered on February 24, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   Next ›