5.0 out of 5 stars 2600 in my Pants
Published on January 10, 2011 by Bradley A. Carter

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Edition IMPORTANT NOTE!!
Everyone should be aware of the following line for the Kindle edition:

""The seven most recent issues delivered are saved on your Kindle. Older issues are automatically deleted for your convenience.""

Make sure you understand line 2, ""Older issues are automatically deleted for your convenience.""

NOT very convenient.
Published on November 1, 2011 by Bruce Carlley

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Edition IMPORTANT NOTE!!, November 1, 2011
This review is from: 2600 Magazine: The Hacker Quarterly - Digital Edition (Kindle Edition)
Everyone should be aware of the following line for the Kindle edition:

NOT very convenient.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2600 in my Pants, January 10, 2011
I'm generally not a fan of the magazine format since I discovered the convenience of RSS feeds years ago, but 2600 is something that I still find I need and want. I've been reading 2600 for 16 years now and it's a magazine that gets better with each passing year. 2600 is full of information, not advertisements, and the articles are always entertaining and useful. Best of all, 2600 actually lowered the price of their Kindle subscriptions, compared to the price of their paper edition. Most other publishers think we should pay the same price even though they no longer have to pay for printing or delivery of the paper versions, so thanks for being honest, 2600, and not just pocketing the extra money for yourselves. 2600 will be the only magazine I'll ever subscribe to on my Kindle, which should tell you how awesome they are.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2600 Transitions to Digital Very Well, April 25, 2011
I've been a reader of 2600 and attendee to my local meeting for years. I assume most people coming to this page already know what 2600 is at its core, so I'll only briefly mention that.

2600 is The Hacker Quarterly, meaning four times a year you get a nice collection of brief articles covering a wide range of hacker related topics, from computer security to telephone systems and "hacking the human brain" to political freedom issues, and everything in between. It's primarily user written content, so while the editors keep the quality up, the topics change drastically from issue to issue. You may find one issue fantastic cover to cover, to only skim through a few articles in the next issue. That said, if you're into technology in general it's the best periodical out there.

Now, specifically to address the Kindle release, I'm very pleasantly surprised. The text transitions well as you may expect, as does the general layout, probably due to the physical size of the magazine being more inline with the Kindle's screen size than most magazines. 2600 also includes the entirety of each issue in the Kindle edition, rather than a subset of content as some other Kindle magazines do. They've also priced the Kindle subscription very reasonably, under half what you'll pay grabbing it from your local book store or even subscribing to the physical magazine.

The only sore point I can bring up is the graphics. This isn't a huge problem as 2600 has never been big in that area. You'll lose the color of the front cover, telephone shots, etc., and occasionally the random logo or diagram, while readable, will lose some fidelity. I haven't seen 2600 on the Kindle for PC/iPad etc. apps, so I can't comment on their quality there. Source core is faithfully reproduced though, which is a much larger part of 2600's appeal, at least to me.

In the end, 2600 has made a very smooth transition into the digital realm. The content is complete and formatted well, the pricing is very fair, and overall as much as I like the physical copy in my hand, going forward I'm going digital.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great!!!!!!!!!, January 15, 2011
So im at home in bed listening to "off the hook" and find out I can just download the new issue right to my phone this magazine is well worth the read, once you get the current issue go ahead and get the back issues you wont be disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars Great magazine for Kindle!, January 14, 2011
This is great for the kindle! I mainly read the paper print, but sometimes that's too small, making the kindle a great way to read this. If only there were more stars to give it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this!, February 19, 2011
I am so happy to have 2600 available for Kindle -- it actually makes using my Kindle worthwhile again! Awesome magazine, in an even more convenient format. Big thumbs up.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent magazine, love it -- will you make it available on amazon.de?, April 27, 2011
Dr. Dirk Husemann (CH-8840 Einsiedeln, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
excellent magazine even for an old hack like me. would like to be able to subscribe to it via amazon.de's kindle shop, now that that is online (living in switzerland), any chances of that happening?

5.0 out of 5 stars The cover of this issue should be a poster!, February 19, 2011
Great articles, as always, but this issue stands out for the exceptional photo on the cover. It's destined to be a classic, I just wish I could buy it in poster size!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great content that, as Amazon does it is a PITA, December 7, 2011
Leo of BORG "Leo M" (Central California, USA) - See all my reviews
In addition to erasing back issues on your device, as soon as the NEW issue comes out you will NOT have access to the issue that started your subscription. Ergo,

I have the Summer 2011 issue on my iPhone ONLY.

I have the newer Fall/Winter issue on BOTH devices.

But I cannot get the Summer issue. Ever again it would seem.

This defeats the whole subscription model, even the Esquire (etal) apps allow back issue access to when you STARTED your subscription.

Upshot?

Now I want to cancel this crappy sub model and go back to $3.95 quarterly consistency. Of course NOW the new ish is $5.95 if I do that.

You're making it VERY HARD TO SUPPORT YOU, 2600 folks..... 5 stars for the content, minus 3 for all this chicanery. My advice is to AVOID the 99 cent model until either Amazon or the 2600 guys get their act together.

5.0 out of 5 stars First good Kindle magazine worth my money, January 17, 2011
When I got my Kindle, I was quite disappointed with the poor selection of magazine subscriptions. I normally just pick up the occasional copy of 2600 when I'm near the book store. When I saw that it was available as a kindle subscription, I needed to get it. The quality of the kindle format is quite good. I look forward to future issues!