5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome series... hope it remains fiction
I have been patiently waiting for the third book of the 299 Days series since I finished the first two in a couple of days.

Published on November 12, 2012 by Rob Northrup

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced.
Published 24 months ago by Ben

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced., November 28, 2012
Ben (Birmingham, Alabama) - See all my reviews
I read the first two books in this series and while I enjoyed them, I didn't enjoy them enough the plunk down another $10 per installment. I understand the author has around 10 books planned, in which case you, the reader will have spent around $100 to read the whole series. I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a self published novel. Lower the prices significantly (around $2.99, which seems to be the going rate for self-published works) and I'm sure I would take the plunge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome series... hope it remains fiction, November 12, 2012

This third installment doesn't disappoint as we move further into the collapse and see how it plays out at the family/community level. We see Grant and his efforts to organize his community for survival, and the challenges they face in security, food, communications, and also in how to meld together a bunch of people who are forced by circumstance to work together. On the other hand, we see the efforts of the dysfunctional state government in its final throes as they organize their bands of brown shirts and try to retain control of the citizenry through force and fear, all the while living high on the hog themselves. I imagine Nancy Pelosi as I read about the Nancy in the story.

Can't wait to read the fourth book, I hope this remains fiction. But I prepare as if it is non-fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful book., November 24, 2012
This review is from: 299 Days: The Community (Volume 3) (Paperback)
Once again, WOW. Things happened in the book, that have played out for real. Scary. I have gotten several people hooked on the series. We share and utilize some of the stuff we never thought about, that have been in the books so far. Good job, keep them coming. I shared one and two, then told everyone, you have to buy the rest yourselves.

1.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive and boring, January 21, 2013
This review is from: 299 Days: The Community (Volume 3) (Paperback)
I really wanted to like this series. The first book was OK. The second had a decent story, but the character was becoming a bit lame. The third book was painful. The overall story isn't bad, but the main character is terrible. The main character "Grant", obviously has a major inferiority complex (i.e. Author....). He is constantly acting out, Look at me, look at me! , aren't I cool!. Well the 300th time he says it, it's getting pretty tired. Also, the Author is becoming more and more repetitive. He literally says the same thing over and over again (most of the time in just a few paragraphs!) I found it very hard to finish this third story. Unfortunately, I had bought the fourth in the series before reading the third. I will find it VERY difficult to start it. Very disappointing...

1.0 out of 5 stars Stop, save your money, December 16, 2012
Same slow undeveloped writing. Dropping another $10 only gets you another short story overpriced for the quality and content. The bonus is you get to buy 7 more of these at $10 apiece to find out how it ends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense Cooperation, January 3, 2013
The third book of Glen Tate's economic collapse series 299 Days called The Community is a fascinating exploration into the nature and function of both large and small groups of people and how they form a society. With the world coming apart at the seams in an inflationary depression, many of the functions of modern government have been returned to the community. This is especially true in the Pierce Point area where Grant, his family, friends and neighbors reclaim the burden of responsibility for maintaining their own well-being. Each level of the community, starting with the family unit, cooperates to address specific concerns like safety and security. Grant Matson, being a politically insightful person, uses both his "team" of civilian gunfighters and his ER Doctor wife as political capital to gain access to the Pierce Point's inner circle. The Community is formed with the premise of providing safety and security for its residents. In contrast, we watch as the government of Washington State, operating from within a National Guard base, is actually using the collapse as an opportunity to increase their control by dissolving many of the remaining civil liberties. They seek to enhance their power by seizing private operations such as the transport and food production in order to provide basic necessities to a large portion of the population, namely the larger urban centers. Additionally, the government has taken over the savings and retirement accounts of millions of people in order to pay for its new safety net. It is really an interesting contrast, with Grant and his people rallying to become more self-sufficient and the government seeking to actually increase public dependence as a way to maintain control and to increase their power. The Community is a very well-considered and detailed account of how new communities may form and how the powers that be may react to a widespread economic collapse. On another level, The Community really is a common sense exploration into the very nature of human cooperation.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ehh, December 22, 2012
I had read the first two books after hearing Glen on The Survival Podcast. I somewhat enjoyed the first two so I was eager to read this one. First off, the price. Ten dollars for this short of a book? No way man! But I bought it anyway. Secondly, the book just isn't that good. It was way to "preachy". It seemed like Grant, the main character, was the voice of "The Team" at all times and I just got annoyed. In real life I would have punched this kind of guy right in his mouth. I hope the other books pick it up a bit. However, I will not be buying them until they come WAY down in price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Took Expensive and Slow Moving, December 7, 2012
The story is interesting, but it is moving very, very slowly for being 4 books into the series.

The main problem is the cost. The four books in the series have now cost about $37 and with 6 more at $9.95 each, the series isn't worth it.

Time to move on.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Series is Going Downhill, January 16, 2013
Amazon Customer (Glendora, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Imagine a nine inning baseball game where you have to exit the staduium and then they charge you another ticket to return every inning. Moreover, the starting pitcher is starting to tire, he's not as sharp, his command is off, and his velocity is down.

It's getting harder to buy the next book. I was riveted after the first one and read Book 2 right away. I thought about it a bit more before buying Book 3. This one is shorter yet. It's well beyond time for the author to back off on the political lectures and get on with some plot development. Some character development would be nice too.

Still, I've given it three stars and will likely buy the 4th book just because I'm addicted now. Take my advice though kid - don't start this series unless you get all four of teh first novelettes for the price of one novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars More solid prepping ideas masquerading as a narrative, November 28, 2012
This review is from: 299 Days: The Community (Volume 3) (Paperback)
Let's not fool ourselves: these are books about preparing for and dealing with big problems. Even small problems -- small to the community but large to you -- can be weathered more easily with Community, with a capital 'C'. That's what this book is about.

As the Matsons start adjusting to their new life, they and their neighbors start to pull together for the common good. They pool some of their resources -- food, equipment, etc.; they leverage the talents and skills of those willing to help; they start behaving neighborly like folks used to "back in the day," and like they still do in many small towns.

I also wish the story-to-dollar ratio was a little more reasonable so I could get more of my friends interested in ponying up; I think the price point is hurting the spread of an important message. That said ...

Another solid 4-Star offering from Glen. Not quite engaging enough for me to tell people "You will LOVE this!" but there's enough for me to tell my friends it very read-worthy.

299 Days: The Community (Volume 3)
299 Days: The Community (Volume 3) by Glen Tate (Paperback - November 11, 2012)
$14.95 $13.46