Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: XCOM: Enemy Unknown [Download]
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Platform: PC Download|Edition: Standard|Change
Price:$7.49

on December 17, 2014
I was a true fan of the 94' version and this is the ultimate follow up 20 years later. Turn based squad tactics, great graphics and storyline. Game is short but there is an option to extend the missions beyond normal.
on March 13, 2014
XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a great game. The pacing is decent, although the tutorial could be a little more extensive.

Being a turn based game, it's fun to develop strategies and characters to fit the situation...and keep them alive.
on September 14, 2014
A lot of friends highly recommend this game. Purchase it due to their recommendation. The game had a lot of enjoyable elements, but had frustrating flaws as well. Didn't like some of the DLC content, my friends and I all agree on the same points on what we dislike about the DLC and we didn't purchase any DLC for it.
on November 16, 2012
I'm a little late to the party getting Xcom but I was very glad I finally got it.

While a long time PC gamer, I'm more an RPG and an MMO person. Just stating this to show my preference in game buying. The gameplay in Xcom is the true shining star of the game. It is not a new game style, but not a common one these days.

You initially control 4 soldiers, and send them on missions. In this case, Aliens have invaded earth so the missions are about Alien killing. As you complete the missions your Soldiers gain XP and level up earning more abilities with each promotion. Additionally each Soldier can be 1 of 4 classes with their own unique abilities. (Sniper, Heavy, Support, Assault). Combat is about tactics which anyone can learn, it's mostly logic.

Inbetween missions, You can upgrade your base of operations and perform Research & Engineering for new Weapons, Armor, Tech all related to squashing Aliens. And your missions also provided needed Cash, Alien Tech, Alien guts needed to advance Research & Engineering. You'll also be able to upgrade your squad from 4-6 soldiers per mission and need at least double that in soldiers as wounded soldiers require recovery time if injured on missions.

I'm also very pleased with the Storyline. The game has excellent pacing retains some random element of hit/miss chance and best of all to me is the difficulty level. I highly recommend all new players start with easy mode. This gives a good level of challenge while still being easy enough that at worst you'll only need 1-2 reloads to complete missions. About 15 hours in have not encountered any mission that's so hard I can't continue the game moments.

Truly one of the best games released for 2012. It's up there for consideration along with Mass Effect 3, Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3. Can't recommend it enough.
on March 31, 2013
If you like turn based strategy even a little you should buy this game. It's challenging, engaging and fun. On the one side you have to manage your resources, research and allies if you want to succeed in the long run. On the other you have your combat, equipping your squad with the latest and greatest gear is a must because once they die, they're gone forever.
I only have one nit pick, the tutorial could have been a little better. There were more then a few things that I had to figure out on my own
on November 14, 2012
The original XCOM: Enemy Unknown was one of the most addictive games I played in the 90s. I would return to play this game on occasion until it became unplayable on newer computers. When I heard that it was being released again with an updated version, I had to get it!

I have to say that the newer version is even better than the first. The designers were obviously careful to keep the parts they liked from the old game and strip away the annoying parts. Many of the time consuming aspects are gone and now the game is more straight forward.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a turn based game, so don't expect it to be fast paced. That said, this game runs pretty smoothly and there is very little waiting around for action. The plot is pretty straight forward. They've added a few things to the game to make it much easier to run. I would change little things here and there, but overall, this game is great! I recommend it and I'm getting it for Christmas for others!
on June 20, 2013
Although I've played a little Civilization in my time (read: hours more than expected), this is not my preferred game genre. The setting, music, and use of cover drew me in when my husband got it for free with another game. Before I knew it, I was hogging his computer to play! I bought my own copy, because it has excellent replay value.

I highly recommend this to people who enjoy building bases and blowing up aliens, but beware: Even on easy, there is definitely a learning curve if you've never played this type of game before.
on April 2, 2013
If you are a fan of turn based strategy games, this game is going to blow your socks away! It is extremely fun and addicting. The game is challenging, and some missions are extremely hard to beat; but you'll keep on playing (and/or reloading your last save) till you advance.

If they make some type of sequel I am totally jumping all over it!!!
on October 11, 2012
It has been a LONG time since I 'cracked open' a game that I didn't want to put down. New XCOM is like a book that keeps you up til dawn. I just had to see what was going to happen next.

I played the original in its day. Loved it. I love this more. I think most that are comparing are in the crowd that has played the '93 version twice a year at least since its release. I tried to go back to the old one before this was released. It just isn't doable. The interface of the old version hurts while the new is silk sheets.

Pay attention to the fact that almost all the lower rated reviews are from steam issues (or outright hatred of steam). Those that bother to actually review the game rate it much higher.

I've had almost zero issues with the game performing. The only time it crash on me was from alt tabling out and getting crazy in another program AND walking away for 20 mins before I tried to tab back in.

Now back to the game!
on April 20, 2013
I didn't think a turn based game could be this good. My preference has always been 1st person shooters or real-time strategy. I'm on my second time through and loving it. IMPORTANT tip: concentrate on satellites and uplinks EARLY!

See 1 answered question