Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports STEM

• 3.0
  • Customer Reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on July 27, 2013
Marc Anthony has set the bar very high previously and vocally I think this is best performance ever... the phrasing and nuances in tone are tremendous... I mean i'm listening to this album purely because Marc's voice has never sounded this dark (in a good way).

BUT, there is a massive problem and that problem is largely Marc's decision to choose Sergio George. This production fails to achieve for 3 core reasons and Sergio and Marc have to be held to account for all of them.

1) The salsa arrangements are bland and all the songs sound the same (except Vivir Mi Vida which is really a pop song and La Copa Rota which is a bolero). Sergio is capable of more as he showed with DLG's debut, La India's "Dicen Que Soy", Marc Anthony's "Todo A Su Tiempo" and more recently Luis Enrique's "Ciclos". Sergio seems to perform better when he is inspired by a new artist or a comeback artist, Marc is neither of those. Also, people should remember that "Contra La Corriente" was produced and arranged by Angel "Cucco" Pena not Sergio and that has been the best album of Marc's career.

2) All the tracks have clearly been produced to be radio-friendly and time in at around 4 mins. So i'm listening to this album and the songs seem to finish in a rushed manner and I realise it's because the call and response sections have been cut to about 1 min. As such the section where typically you'd get 2-3 mins of interplay and improvisation between the brass section, rhythm section, and singers just never happen. Have a look at the timings on Marc's previous salsa albums and you'll see what I mean.

3) Marc is now such a superstar Sergio (and maybe any other producer) can't influence him like he used to. I'm thinking that some sports stars become so big that the ego makes it hard for even an experienced manager to control them. I'm not saying Marc has a huge ego (I really don't know) but clearly it's the job of the producer to guide an album and an artist to achieve results. I'm not sure whether Marc has become too big and Sergio couldn't do that or whether it's Sergio not trying hard enough or being strong enough to influence Marc. Either way, the results speak for themselves. In interviews Marc talks about he and Sergio finish each other sentences and they are on the same page musically and I feel like that's an issue on this album... Marc should be pushed to achieve something else, greatness comes from the friction of ideas. It's pretty clear on this album that neither Marc or Sergio were being pushed to do something greater.

I'm just calling it how I see it. This is Marc Anthony and this album is an event. You expect much much more. I feel like too many salsa producers from PR and NY/Miami are doing the same same production line salsa... is it too much to ask that Marc and other bigger name salsa artists set the standard and look further afield (like Colombia, Venezuela, Cuba, etc) for a producer that may shake them up a bit and produce something different???
2323 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2013
What I like most about Marc Anthony is that you can hear all kinds of opinions about which is his best album. From Otra nota to 3.0. For me personally Libre is his best album, although I understand why any other would be selected for his best album. I saw too many negative comments, considering the quality of album is it. I want to say that this is not salsa dura, the arrangements are not that complex, improvisations are short and percussion are not on focus. Obviously, to date Marc Anthony believes that simple is true. However, for me this is the deepest album of Marc.
This album is not for salsa purists!
Marc has always done what he considered right and satisfying. It's his conception of things, but even in a "radio version" (as mentioned in a previous review), it's salsa and made in right way. We talk about a very talented people who are related to this music.
Marc still sets the bar. And he is alone.
on July 24, 2013
Make no mistake, this is a great production by anybody else's standards, but Marc has set the bar so high with his previous salsa records that this one falls just a little short. While Marc's interpretations are on point as usual, there are definite lulls during the course of the record where arrangements and vocals become mundane. However, all the songs are solid. Standouts include: "Cambio De Piel," a song asking the question of how we turn a new page in life and overcome the fear of failure, Marc's take on "Hipocrecia" and "La Copa Rota," well known classics, and the celebratory, feel-good single, "Vivir Mi Vida." Similar to how Tiger Woods is expected to win everytime he takes the course, Marc is expected to deliver a hole in one with every record. But the harsh reality is that just like Tiger hasn't won a major tournament in 5 years, Marc hasn't delivered a truly superb production since "Libre", his last salsa record. Maybe, like Tiger, we are expecting brilliance everytime, a standard that he might never be able to live up to again.
on July 23, 2013
Love this album. The songs and production are great! Marc's vocals are beautiful, passionate and strong!! I love the way he sings each song. Love salsa music. The pop version of his #1 hit single Vivir Mi Vida is a fun way to close out the cd. He even sings it slightly differently from the salsa version. Great job Marc!!
on July 23, 2013
Another gorgeous cd from Marc Anthony. Love it!!! I was surprised to see he included beautiful songs like "Hipocrecia" and "Copa Rota" Wow! What a great album!
on July 30, 2013
I finally feel that I've listened to 3.0 enough to feel comfortable giving it a rating. This is definitely a good album, but just not worthy of the full 5-stars. I personally feel that anything less than 4 stars is being overly critical. I'll start off by saying that every other track is better than the opening single of VIVIR MI VIDA. I've gotten to the point where I actually dislike it, and just skip both versions entirely. The first song that I listened to was LA COPA ROTA, since it's a classic done by one of my other favorites (Jose Feliciano). I was immediately let down, because I was expecting a great version, and all I got was a mediocre version. After hearing Marc discuss how it all came together, and how it was recorded, I think it explains it. It apparently was an afterthought, just thrown together on the fly, and left like that. VOLVER A COMENZAR is a totally solid song that has nothing wrong, really. FLOR PALIDA was immediately my favorite because of the melody and chorus. It's Marc at his absolute best, until just after the 3:00 minute mark, where they start with the group of background singers saying, "pa' que nunca se vallas." That takes away from the song, but up to that point, absolutely the best. CAMBIO DE PIEL, ESPERA, DIME SI NO ES VERDAD, HIPOCRESIA, and CAUTIVO DE ESTE AMOR are all solid songs. I don't like the "tickle" lyric in DIME SI NO ES VERDAD, and the feathering of his voice in CAUTIVO DE ESTE AMOR, but those are just personal things. If you are a fan of Marc and salsa, you need to get this album because it's definitely good. If you are just getting turned on to Marc, PLEASE make sure and check out his first 3 albums (Otra Nota, Todo A Su Tiempo, and Contra La Corriente). Those 3 consecutive albums are what made Marc the superstar that he is today. In my opinion he is the absolute best salsa singer ever, hands down, bar none. Especially doing salsa, his voice is a force of nature that can't be ignored.

When you are a fan, expectations are really high with a new album release. These high expectations make people overly harsh when reviewing new material, especially when they haven't had time to properly digest/process the new material. I feel comfortable and confident giving it a 4-star rating.
1111 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2013
The King of Salsa is back! Its been a very long time since Marc came out with some original salsa and he and Sergio George haven't lost a step! Granted this is no where near the masterpiece that was the Contra la Corriente album.
on January 27, 2016
Can't stop listening to it! Great song writing, instrumentation, lyrics and of course, that uniquely wonderful Marc Anthony voice and soulful salsa expression. The Latin American / Puerto Rican essence oozes through your pores and all your short hairs stand on end with the excitement 3.0 provides. While Marc commands and deserves so much credit for this GREAT music on 3.0, it is truly a well coordinated team effort between the writers of the compositions, the highly talented and skilled musicians, and the artistic delivery by Marc Anthony. 3.0 should not only prove to be a watershed moment in Marc Anthony's career but a once in a life time highlight of salsa music. Vivid Mi Vida is the anthem of 3.0 and bookends it with a pop version at the finale. This is particularly fun in my car as it repeat cycles 3.0 thus this song is juxtaposed by its differing versions. Both versions are excellent expressions of the same basic song. Both are as stirring
on July 31, 2013
I was awaiting the release of this CD for a while now. This is not my first Marc Anthony CD and now I am sure it will not be my last. I like all types of music and on the MA CDs I do have, I enjoyed the few salsa selections I had but I would not consider myself a salsa fan. Until now... There is something just really great and comfortable about this CD. It is accessible even to the salsa novice and I really enjoy it. I think you would too.
on March 25, 2016
Great sound quality, I had seen him in concert and loved it. I wanted to get the record as opposed to my itunes selection. Amazon does an amazing job packing records for shipment, and would recommend both this record and amazon for records in the future.

This is probably Marc's best record!