3/10 from IGN and Destructoid

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 19, 2012 5:32:42 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Doesn't sound like From Software got it right.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 7:28:39 AM PDT
Player 1 says:
Try the demo. In reality, the selling point (and main obstacle of the game) is the same as the last Steel Battalion: whether or not you can enjoy the control scheme. This one has the benefit of not only having a controller (the kinect) that can be used for other things (it's actually a piece of exercise equipment for my wife as well) but also can be tried out without being out $200 if you already have the kinect.

That said, I tried the demo out with two friends, one 20-something former crew athlete and current IT worker and one 40-something artist and outdoorsman. Both, like myself, are fans of Chromehounds and have been waiting through the tide of uninteresting From Software submissions (Armored Core) for a good mech game.

I did not enjoy the game very much. After getting a handle on the controls over an hour of playing, I just didn't see the appeal: It's too much tank simulator and too little fun. I'd rather shoot things than vent my cockpit. I found the controls frustrating but usable if you really focused on them and moved smoothly rather than quickly.

The 20-something really liked the immersion and was willing to look for the best aspects of the game. he had a lot less trouble figuring out what was supposed to happen and enjoyed the crew interactions, especially the much-ballyhooed pulling of the sub-commander back into the mech It was fun watching that.

The 40-something hated it with a passion. The combat was too fast for the actions required, and the kinect far too inaccurate for him to perform the needed maneuvers in the required time.

I have been a big fan of mech games since MW4 and absolutely loved Chromehounds, but this has none of the customization abilities and far too much of a learning curve (most of it being the virtual controller) to spend $15 on, let alone the $200 for this plus the kinect.

In response to Mr. Foxhound: I think From got what they wanted, but I would still argue that from a western perspective (Chromehounds>Armored Core) this simply isn't what their American audience wants.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Jun 19, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor - Xbox 360
Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor - Xbox 360 by Capcom (Xbox 360)
3.3 out of 5 stars   (38)