5.0 out of 5 stars A Raspberry Pi story (with helpful details)
This monitor, like I've put in the title, was bought for a Raspberry Pi. I didn't want to spend on anything larger than what was needed, and didn't want to connect to a TV at all, since the Pi is just meant to be a fun, homebrew-style computer, and I wanted to build it as cheaply as possible. With that said, the monitor is not only cheap, but it WORKS and works well...
Published 21 months ago by Andrew Greimann

3.0 out of 5 stars Quit working.
Published on April 19, 2012 by D. Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars A Raspberry Pi story (with helpful details), April 24, 2013
This review is from: 3.5 Inch TFT LCD Monitor for Car / Automobile (Electronics)

First of all, in describing it, the screen size that you will get out of the box is about the size of a PalmPilot's (close to 3.5"), and it will come with a flexible arm and mini-stand attached to it that you can adjust however you like, with a sticker underneath in case you want to mount it to anything. In short, it is really a baby LCD flat panel.

On the back are three buttons: Menu, +, and -. There is no menu--simply press the buttons to alternate between Brightness, Contrast, and "Colorast" (or how much color you want--0 is grayscale), and finally OK or Reset. With that said, settings are very simple to configure on it.

Now, we get to the last (and fun) part. You can splice two cords together to get power if you wish, but I simply connected a 1.0 A (1000 mA), 12 V (and under 4 W) power adapter, which works efficiently well. I'm mentioning this to be helpful in case anyone else wants to connect this to their favorite little computer using an easier method. :) You can easily connect any spare yellow RCA video cable, and the picture is surprisingly clear! To get specific, with good enough eyes, you can read 12 pt text in Sans or Monospace (though anything lower becomes harder to read--although I can still read size 10) and this monitor drives a 656x416 resolution according to xrandr (a little bit under 640x480). This is with overscan on (which means the screen puts an artifical box around the screen so it fits better) and I recommend you turn this on. Without it, maximized windows will exceed the screen space, making things a bit monotonous. Now, without overscan, it does about 712 instead of 656 if I remember right. This is totally up to you. Also, I find tilting it up a bit on a desk, and sitting closer to it helps make the experience a bit better.

And so far... all my shells show up clearly, and everything seems to be working fine. There's barely any flicker I can see with my configuration, and it displays nicely. With all this said, that is the story thus far with this screen connected to a Raspberry Pi as a monitor, and I hope others find this helpful when setting it up. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice!!, September 17, 2011
BEWARE!! "me" (PERRY, OHIO, US) - See all my reviews
Ok, Thing Works just fine. Good display. I got this for my DOD Gs600 dvr dash cam..

Only down fall is it comes with a power chord that plugs in and then has to be hard
wired into something for power. What I did was took an extra Car charger, usb kind, and spliced
it, connected it to the moniters power wires, plugged in the usb car charger, connected it to
the moniter and then the yellow and white chords to my dVR thing, and Bingo Bango, we got video..

Here's the deal, thirty bucks and a little creativity with no issues later. The screen in nice too!

or spend big bucks and have the same outcome.. thats all folks!!

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, May 1, 2012
I just got mine today. It came in a plain white box with pretty useless instructions. I am still not sure what the voltage is, I am guessing 12vdc since it is a common voltage for small LCD screens and it is meant to be installed in a car. To be on the safe side, I powered mine up on a 5v pack. It requires a little soldering, nothing a radioshack iron can't take care of. Without a TV signal, the backlight flashes blindingly bright on for a split second and shuts off. When you connect a TV signal, it picks it up pretty quick. The plastic frame feels a little higher quality than most cheap Chinese products. It almost looks like an iphone in an odd way. The display isn't retina resolution but for 20 bucks, I am very happy with it. The menu is just the generic, contrast, brightness type deal with the occasional misspelling. There is one menu option that allowed me to flip the screen upside down and invert/mirror in both orientations. This obviously is good for using it as a monitor while reversing. The only minor thing I really don't like is that the buttons on the back actually make pressure point ripples on the LCD. I am afraid it will crack the screen eventually.

I do not actually intend to use this in my car though. I actually intend to use it with an arduino and RC FPV projects. (A back up monitor, I would not recommend this as a primary at all) For $20 with free shipping, I am thinking about buying a second one to use in my car though.

EDIT!

I have done a little experimenting with this LCD and it actually seems to have a large voltage spike on start up. So much so that it actually burnt out a 12v camera that was connected to the same power source. If you are going to use this, I recommend a diode and a suppressing cap on the battery line.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quit working., April 19, 2012
D. Baker (Chanute, KS.) - See all my reviews
I purchased this monitor along with a Koolertron Rear View License Plate Back Up Camera. Shortly after receiving these items I ordered an additional back up camera. Since the monitor has a 2-line in-feed I was going to use one camera on the back of my truck and another camera on the back of my pull-behind trailer. I installed the first camera and the monitor in my truck and they worked fine. However, after one day the camera stopped working.

When I received the 2nd camera I wired it into the monitor and discovered that line 1 no longer worked, but line 2 was working. Because I needed both lines working I ordered another monitor and camera and am in the process of returning the first monitor and camera.

I've now received those items and have both cameras installed and feeding into the new monitor. So far everything is working great! (knock on wood). I don't know what went wrong with the first install, but now they are all working and I love the picture quality! I'm always amazed how low priced after-market items are often better than the standard OEM items. The picture quality that I get with these two $15 rear-view cameras and a $25 monitor far exceed that that came standard in our Lexus RX-350.

Three stars simply because of the first failure but if the replacements keep working then it's 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Image can be flipped or rotated; takes 12 V power via 2.1mm jack, September 7, 2012
I'm using this as a backup camera monitor and it's great for that purpose. The controls are on the reverse and allow you to flip or rotate the image as well as adjust the contrast, etc.

The mount is a ball-and-socket on the rear of the monitor, but the socket is definitely too small to accept the 17mm Garmin Nuvi vent mounts. You can make your own vent mount with a jumbo binder clip and rubber bands, though.

The power input is a 2.1x5.5 mm (female) jack, which is also the type used for most auto cameras. The monitor comes with a power cable that has the male jack on one end and exposed wires on the other as "pigtails" so you can splice them yourself (as suggested by the Perry, OH reviewer, you could cannibalize an old phone car charger for this). It takes 12V DC. Alternatively, instead of using their power cable I bought this power adapter which works fine: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BA1E2Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01 ("12V Boombox Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter")

The video input is a standard RCA plug. I tested it with my dvd player before moving it out to the car. The monitor will not turn on (except for the initial screen flash) without a video input.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap portable low-res display for Raspberry Pi, July 3, 2012
I bought a Raspberry Pi (a tiny $35 computer) from element14 which has HDMI and composite video. I was looking for a small portable display for it, and portable HDMI displays are quite expensive. I hooked the power cable up to my bench power supply and connected a RCA cable from the Pi's composite out to this monitors yellow RCA connector. The video showed up ok with no problems.

The main downside is that since it is standard definition via composite the resolution is quite poor compared to a normal computer monitor (which uses VGA, DVI or HDMI). This means its tough to read smaller text. However, I intend to use this monitor to display single tweets (140 char) so I can increase the font size a lot to improve readability.

Here's a gallery of pics: [...]

FYI: The unit I bought was sold by EPATHDIRECT LLC and fulfilled by Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little side monitor, June 12, 2012
I purchased three of these to act as side monitors for video while we work here at the office. I was worried that the screen would have those little backup perspective lines, but you don't have to turn that feature on. I am going to see if I can upload a little shot of the player and monitor in action.

We are using the AV connections and putting it through a 1-in 4-out av distribution amplifier. It works great! My only issue was in the fact that it didn't come with a power supply. and I blew a few fuses finding out which old power packs worked. It wound up that a 12volt 500ma center positive power pack worked best. You can get them here for a few bucks. I tried Radio Shack, but the same power pack was thirty dollars! What a rip-off Radio Shack is becoming. (The fuse that seemed to work well by the way was the slo-blo 1 amp 250 volt 5 X 20mm).

I am hoping these details will help people avoid delays in getting the unit up and working if you are going to use it in the same way. The video player I am using is the Incredi-Sonic one I bought nere. That thing is amazing too. I will be writing the review for that one next. One last thing to note. When you plug it in, it seems like something is wrong because it flashes and goes dark. The problem is that it won't power up until it has a valid signal. So that info may help you avoid that confusion.

I hope you enjoy this monitor as much as we do.

Thank you for your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect with Pi, January 18, 2013
Out of the box runs with my raspberry pi and worked with my desktop monitor's power supply! word word word

3.0 out of 5 stars Need some work and additional orders to work with a Raspberry Pi, December 3, 2013
I bought this as a cheap display for Raspberry Pi projects (video camera display, console feedback of text stream).

I have it working, but still need to tweak the RPI configuration to adjust resolution.

My advice if you want to make this work:
- Get a power source for this screen (supposed to be powered by a car 12V system), in my case, I get a "Hosa Cable ACD477 Universal AC Power Supply" ( B000Z31G3M ), take care of the polarity of the monitor (positive polarity, to adjust the Power Supply polarity).
- Get an RCA cable male-male , I ordered a "Cable Wholesale Composite Video Cable RCA Male / RCA Male High Quality 25 ft", but 25 feet might be overkill depending on your project.
- Tweak the /boot/config.txt of the RPI and be sure that any "hdmi_force_hotplug=1" line (including additional ones from NOOB distribution at the end of config.txt, for example) are *commented*, to disallow hdmi forced hotplug that take over RCA output.

At this point, everything should be working, but your text will be unreadable :-) , now you should go back to HDMI to finish the configuration job and adjust the framebuffer resolution to a smaller one (following advices here : [...] ).

3 stars, because resolution is definitely not 640x480 but 320x240 probably. And you have to buy other stuff. Getting a complete display (including power + cable) for ~40$ is still not too bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat for the price, August 4, 2012
It's a TV - and does what it says.

The people that complain that it doesn't work after feeding it power should know that it doesn't turn on unless you have a video feed going.

I use it for the raspberry pi and have both the computer and monitored powered by an external battery pack. I love it.

3.5 Inch TFT LCD Monitor for Car / Automobile