1,318 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Cons: Did not give me Super Powers
I used this to hook up my computer speakers to my 40-in Sony Bravia TV, which only had RCA output audio jacks for an external audio source.

Published on October 8, 2008 by Jillian Kimberlin

Published 10 months ago by J. Bartelt

5.0 out of 5 stars Cons: Did not give me Super Powers, October 8, 2008
This review is from: 2 x RCA Male, 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Female, Y-Cable 6-Inch (Electronics)

Solution: Buy this handy-dandy converter, and I was able to instantly use my computer speakers. Of course, I wouldn't recommend using CHEAP computer speakers, as in, computer speakers that use the power from the computer to power them. That would probably break your TV. Mine were a bit nicer, and had a small subwoofer and had to have it's own power source (ie. a Power cable)

The only problem is that this TV is unlike my old one, which had the capability to have computer speakers hook directly into one of the 'audio outputs' on the back of the TV, so I could control the volume using the TV remote. On this TV (and many others, I assume), by using this converter, my TV thinks that the audio is a separate device with it's own remote.

Downside: I have to get up every time I want to turn up/down the TV. Eh, it's not that bad, considering I play movies/tv shows using my Phillips DivX dvd player. And for those that don't know what DivX is you had better get a word-a-day calendar or something because it is well worth the money.
---------------------------
UPDATE 6/4/2010 - Product has been going strong for the past couple years. I have started to notice a low 'humming' coming from my speakers, but then again my Logitech speakers are now over 5 years old, so what can you expect?? I hooked them up to my digital piano and the humming was still present, so I know that it is my speakers and not the converter. I stand by my review I made over a year ago: get this if you want a simple way to connect your computer speakers to your TV!
---------------------------
UPDATE 6/17/2011 - Product still going strong. I still use the same speakers, and I believe it is my TV itself that is producing the low-pitched 'humming' when the TV is on but the cable box isn't. It is not the fault of this product, at all. I also bought a female-to-female extension cord so I can play movies straight from my laptop to the TV (and connect the computer speakers to it while still keeping it behind the TV).
---------------------------
LAST AND FINAL UPDATE 9/17/2012 - Wow, first, thank you for all the Helpful Votes! When I first bought this, I had no idea if it would even work, and there was only one-or-two other reviews. Now with over 300 reviews, I think I should e-mail someone and get a discount next time for all of these potential customers I brought in!

The product has survived two moves (cross-state, too), being stomped on, and I caught my cat playing with it too one time, during the move. In either case, I should amend my review to say that it DOES give me super powers: it allows me to use computer speakers to connect to an RCA male output. I still have the same setup, my 40" Sony Bravia TV with my older-than-dirt Logitech speakers. Whenever friends come to visit, they ask why my sound is so much better than theirs (because they are using just the TV speakers in the flat-panel TV, which have no speaker cone...). I just point them towards this little product.

If mine ever breaks, I will come back and update again, but I think this review speaks for itself: I still have the exact same one I bought four years ago! And finally, please, don't forget to mark this as "helpful" if you thought it was! Thanks everyone! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Allows a headphone from a tv, March 25, 2009
This is a great adapter as it allows me to use regular "Walkman" headphones to listen to a television. I use an extension cord between this adapter and my headphones to listen to tv while on my treadmill. Perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solution to sound coming from both t.v. and headphones, December 11, 2010
I wanted to play games quietly but my tv didn't have a headphone jack. So I bought these to get around that problem and they work very well. One problem though is that it exchanges my left earphone for my right, but I just switch the colors around (red in white and white in red).

Some helpful advice:

1. Your tv has to have red and white "audio out" ports (usually in the back)

2. Like me, you may need a headphone extension cord. My headphones are a little short so my face is 2 feet away from the tv screen.

3. Many of you may run into a little problem where sound is coming from both the headphones and the tv which kinda defeats the purpose of the headphones. My solution was to turn the tv sound all the way down while the headphones were still plugged in. For some reason the sound for the tv speakers go down but not the headphones.

Hope that helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars it works, July 23, 2007
used this to plug my bluetooth wireless headset into the tv so i wouldn't disturb the mrs while she slept......awesome

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for headphones, but no volume adjustment, March 3, 2013
I bought this to hook up headphones to a new LED flat-screen TV. I searched & searched, but it turns out that the bigger sized (greather than 32 inch) LED/LCD/Plasma TVs do not come with a 3.5mm headphone connection. Not only that, but many do not even have an RCA Audio-Out connection either (only Audio-In). Therefore, I hooked up the headphones, via this 6-inch Y-Cable to the RCA-type Audio-Out of a LED TV. The headphone sound can be heard at a low-normal level, but adjusting the sound on the TV does not raise/lower the volume heard via the headphones (something that can be done if the headphones were to be connected to a normal 3.5mm headphone connection). This is not the cable's fault, so the cables do work properly. It is just that the cables are not intended for this particular improvisation. The cable was shipped promptly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, July 20, 2009
Been using it to watch movies without disturbing my wife and daughter in their activities. It converts perfectly to stereo sound.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shipped from China....VERY long wait and only recieved partial shipment, February 24, 2014
J. Bartelt (San Antonio, Texas) - See all my reviews
I am typically a very happy Amazon customer which is why I've been a member of Amazon Prime for many years now. This particular seller did not live up to my expectations by any stretch of the imagination. The order took six weeks to arrive and when it did they left out more than 50% of the items I paid for. I ordered eight Y cables and they sent two. I contacted the seller and they said 'Oh, did we short you part of the order? We're so sorry, we will be glad to send the rest directly.' Really? It took SIX weeks for the first order to get here! I'm not waiting an additional six weeks for the rest of the order. I need these Y cables to hook up headphones for my after school piano class. I am so disappointed in Amazon for allowing an out-of-country seller to use their website to sell their product without clearly stating (BEFORE purchase) how long the wait will be. I would recommend that you look elsewhere for this item. Yes, the price was low but it was not worth the wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to TV/movies/games at night without disturbing others, January 26, 2011
If that's what your goal is with this cable... then look no further. I recommend throwing a headphone extension cord into the equation as well, if you don't already have one.

Can also be used to run audio out of your TV to other speakers (PC). A nice, handy item.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, shipping took well over two months., January 25, 2014
This works well with the amp audio receiver I have on my desk. I use it in combination with a male to male 3.5mm extension cable to connect axillary audio devices to my desk speakers.

The only problem was that it took well over two months to get to me. The distance from New York (where I live) to Shanghai is 7300 miles. I can walk five miles per hour, or 120 miles per day. That means I could walk the package from china to my door step in 60.8 days, which is considerably less time (by about ten days) than it took me to receive this adapter in the mail.

1.0 out of 5 stars Are these supposed to be stereo?, July 7, 2010
I bought 3 of these to connect the analog outputs of my Samsung Blu-ray player to my Logitech 5.1 computer speaker system. The physical connection felt ok, but when I ran the speaker test, things were not ok. Only one of the front speakers got a signal, while both surround speakers got a signal at the same time. I switched the cables around every which way, and got nothing but improper sound output to the various speakers and subwoofer.

I then found some better quality cables of the same type that stated "stereo" on the package at a local store for $3.89 each, just slightly more than I paid for these after shipping. After swapping them in I ran the speaker test on the Samsung player again, and got correct sound out of all 5 speakers and the subwoofer.
Since I got these cables for$.62 each plus $2.99 non-refundable shipping each, they weren't worth returning.

Bottom Line: ***tty cables

2 x RCA Male, 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Female, Y-Cable 6-Inch