Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Halloween

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 23, 2012 8:05:09 AM PDT
Amanda says:
All of the other titles have been on the regular DS format, can you even play a 3 DS game on those? We have the previous titles, and have been eagerly awaiting this one. My kids are older and don't really play with the DS anymore, so buying a 3 DS sytem would be a waste.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 4:57:33 PM PDT
v7torSFC says:
Yes this is a 3DS only game. Nintendo has pretty much moved on to making 3DS games. The last major DS release they have is Pokemon Black 2 and White 2. DS games work on the 3DS but not the other way around due to the systems enhanced power.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 9:44:58 AM PDT
Caleb Powers says:
OK think about it this way. a dsi has a 133 mhtz processor and now we move to 3ds, which has a dualcore 1.2 ghtz processor. Now you tell me why the ds cant handle 3ds games (i agree they should have made it for the ds though, i don't want to drop 170 for 1 game currently and they released the previous ones ds)

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 3:29:17 PM PDT
Jordan Brown says:
The question is not "Why can't DS handle 3DS games", but rather "Why is a Professor Layton game a 3DS game?".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 5:28:40 AM PDT
DS is not build to display 3D visals, so the carts were designed not to fit in any DS system. Another non-gaming comparision is that Blu-Ray discs can't play in standard DVD players.

The age of development for the DS is basically over. The 3DS is the successor. Level 5 developed this game for the 3DS in order to advance the franchise by using the new features of the 3DS (better graphics, 3D display, more memory on the game cart). It seems counter-productive to criticize them for not staying in the past.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 9:26:57 PM PDT
mamabear says:
This stinks! We have two DS in our house and about 45 games. Professor Layton is my daugthers favorite and we have all of the previous Prof. Layton games. I am not about to buy a new 3DS just to get her this game and I am sure there are a lot of other parents who feel same way in this economy.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 2:28:16 PM PDT
H. Shamsi says:
Trade the ds with a new 3Ds , and keep all the old Ds games coz you can play them on the 3Ds..
Yes you will pay a little for trading, but you will be able to play Ds and 3Ds games in one system..

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 7:50:21 AM PDT
L. Parnell says:
You could always trade in the DSs and games she no longer plays and get a 3DS. That's how I got mine. I traded in my DSLite and some games I wasn't interested in any longer and only had $35 left to pay towards my 3DS.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 8:08:41 PM PDT
Guess what? Progress happens.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 6:36:23 PM PDT
C. Bui says:
agreed... i don't have the money to trade in or purchase a new i guess this professor layton will have to wait. i've been a big fan and have enjoyed every game so far!

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 6:48:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 1, 2012 2:27:24 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:35:17 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 1:47:17 PM PDT
mamabear says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 4:47:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 5:17:21 PM PDT
flbchbm says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 5:06:10 PM PDT
flbchbm says:

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 9:32:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 2:21:23 PM PST
ZX 1971 says:
These last few comments leave me completely baffled. Of course trying to make a 3DS game work in the DS won't work, the 3DS uses superior technology to that of the DS. It is NOT just a DS with 3D built in. Any game on the 3DS can be "played in 2D" by turning the 3D slider all the way down to off. The DS has been out since 2004, although variations have been introduced along the way (Lite, DSi, DSi XL). 3DS is NOT a variation. It's a completely new system, although it is still backwards compatible with DS games. If Nintendo had never made advancements in portable technology, we'd all still be playing low res, black and white, blurry Nintendo Gameboy games. Or more likely, we wouldn't, as we would have grown sick of them in the early 90s.

If you (or your kids) don't really play much with your DS and are only interested in this game, how is that Nintendo's fault? Or perhaps that's a reason to buy a 3DS, as you or your kids have grown tired of the older DS system. There hasn't been any successful franchise that's only stayed on one system once a more advanced system has come out. Otherwise, we'd still be playing Mario games on the Nintendo Entertainment System that came out in 1985.

I agree it can be hard to keep up with technology, but believe it or not, this usually doesn't apply to game systems, which often have a 5 to 10 year life span. Personal Computers already offer 6 times the power of current hardware consoles, the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Obviously, most people aren't going to spend thousands of dollars on a gaming PC. Smart phones are being constantly upgraded, and cost a lot, yet there are millions of people who can't seem to live without one. If you're willing to pay for those or already have one, there are plenty of cheap $1-$5 games you can buy , although you'll still need to check if your phone can run them.

As a heads up, the next generation of Nintendo consoles, the Wii U, will be available on November 18th. It too is a whole new system, much more advanced than the Wii, but it is backwards compatible with Wii games (through a system update when connecting to the internet). Don't accidentally buy a Wii U game thinking it will work on the Wii, because it won't.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:29:38 AM PDT
Bippa says:
Were any of you people around when the Gameboy was phased out for the Gameboy Advance? PS2 for PS3? The 3DS is not an incremental upgrade like a DSi or iPad 2, it's the next generation of Nintendo handheld.
Yes, Nintendo will release another one in 6 or 7 years, that's kind of how video games don't stagnate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:49:31 PM PDT
G. Card says:
You killed me with your lack of knowledge of anything you're talking about, so let me try to make that knowledge accurate:

First off, the NEW system is called 'Nintendo 3DS' (3DS for short, duh), it plays DS software along with DSiWare and games made exclusively made for the 3DS on the Nintendo eShop and at retail. Secondly, you don't have to buy a 3DS if you don't want too. 3DS consoles are built incredibly better then the DS Lite, so if that third DS of yours breaks; upgrade to the 3DS/3DS XL. (which is only $30 then the smaller, original model!) Lastly, if a new system comes out in the DS brand; it'll be most likely another upgrade of the 3DS. In the slight chance that Nintendo makes another line of new systems, there's no reason why it wouldn't have backward compatibility with at least 3DS software.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 8:08:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 8:10:39 AM PST
flbchbm says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 8:18:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 8:18:51 AM PST
Matt says:
>If the 3D cart is able to be played in 2d then it should be able to be played in 2d on the DS as well

Are you actually reading what people are aiming at you? Because I don't think you are. The 3DS has much superior technology inside it, the 3DS Layton game is not possible on the DS, the game wouldn't be able to load/render, as the graphics are too advanced.

The 2D/3D function, again you don't understand. Turning up the 3D means to play games in 3D you know. Turning off the 3D function, you still play 3 dimensional games, just not in 3D lol

By the way, if people are finding these Layton whiners ridiculus on here, look on Amazon UK if you need a good laugh, lots of people 1 starring the game and Amazon UK refuses to remove their reviews despite the people in question not owning the game. Makes me wonder what the criteria is to be honest.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 8:21:39 AM PST
flbchbm says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 8:25:30 AM PST
Matt says:
Why are you repeating the same nonsense? It's not about what Nintendo says, or what Reggie says, heck its not about what Level 5 or anyone related to Nintendo says. It's about the friggin Hardware.

The Nintendo DS hardware is roughly 8 years old now, and is slightly less advanced than a Nintendo 64. The Nintendo 3DS has hardware roughly on the level of the Wii inside it, the Nintendo DS can not properly render 3D character models/visuals because it simply does not have the power.

It seems most of these Layton whiners are female. Pity you're degrading girl gamers with these comments lol

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:59:37 PM PST
Oasis says:
The idiocy in this thread is astounding.

It's like throwing a screaming tantrum that you can't play a CD in a cassette player. Or not being able play a blu-ray disc in a DVD player.

How about you we go the extra mile and throw a tantrum that a Nintendo Wii disc can't be played on a Sony Playstation 1 console?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 2:09:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 2:46:27 PM PST
Why is everyone so surprised? Nintendo has decided to release their newest game for their newest console.

Aside from the 3D, there are many reasons why this game couldn't work on the DS.
Some puzzles rely on the circle pad - this is a control method the DS doesn't have.
The extra capacity of the 3DS allows the game to have more puzzles. Example: there are 365 downloadable puzzles instead of the usual 25.
All the puzzles make use of the wider 3DS top screen.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:39:07 AM PST
The constant DS enhancements over the years have really led to non-gamers being confused by the fact that this is fundamentally more powerful hardware. The problem is that the 3DS still has a "DS" in the name, just like the last 4 entries in the original DS hardware line. To their thinking, the 3DS is just the latest in the long stream of DS hardware: Nintendo DS, DS lite, DSi, DSi XL... this sort of thinking is unfortunately what led one poor sap in this thread to ruin a perfectly good Miracle Mask cart by sawing off the protrusion when he could have instead sold the game for 35+ dollars online and made most of his money back.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  23
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about