4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun
3 Man Chess is great fun. The pieces and board look very good, and seem to be durable. The rules require a little time to understand, but they make perfect sense once you start playing, and after a couple of games you get the hang of it with no problems.
Published on October 2, 2012 by Rosario

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price
Pros: The game is fun and very different from normal chess.

Published 10 months ago by Logan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, October 2, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars for the chess lover who has everything, December 29, 2012
This review is from: 3 Man Chess (Toy)
My 14 year old step son received this for Christmas. He is an avid chess player and somewhat hard to buy for because he already has about everything. Even he was impressed by how unique this game is and the new twist it puts on the classic game.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile variant, May 14, 2014
This review is from: 3 Man Chess (Toy)
I am compelled to review this game because I have found so little information available about it online. * * * In my opinion, people who love the game of chess tend to be chess-purists to whom tinkering with the system they have spent so much effort to master occurs as a reduction of the advantages they have fought to hold. If, however, you are fond of the game and are open to new ways of playing, or if you have played other chess variants and enjoyed them, I can highly recommend this variation. I'm not sure this game is suitable for players who don't have a fairly solid foundation in classical chess. That is to say, I find 3 Man Chess to be more open-ended and nebulous in its tactical and strategic options, and a player without chess experience might well be overwhelmed. *** The game has been well thought out and the rules sheet has proven to be functionally inclusive of any and all situations I have encountered thus far in play, despite a slightly awkward presentation which I assume is because the author is not a native English speaker. The rules concerning the "moats" between opposing players' rooks are particularly crucial and a bit tricky- make sure you understand them comprehensively. *** The realized concepts of the void in the center of the board and the curving paths along the diagonals are extraordinarily innovative! Likewise, the fact that the rows of squares have become rings creates an extremely compelling departure from familiar chess. The lines denoting the aforementioned curving paths will undoubtedly cause some peering which could strain the eyes a bit, but I'm not sure how they could be improved upon; if they were made brighter and more distinct from one another they would very likely create a much more distracting and confusing mess of the board's overall appearance. *** I am quite surprised that none of the reviews I have read for this game have mentioned an aspect of it which has become immediately apparent to myself and anyone with whom I have played. The game is, for lack of a better term, "broken" in a limited sense. Simply put, if two of the players consistently work in tandem to defeat a third player, no amount of skill can prevent that player's defeat. However, the same can be said of ANY "cutthroat" game I can think of playing. In games of 3 Man Chess, temporary and momentary alliances form and shift which make for very dynamic play, but there is never an impulse for it to become entirely 2 against 1. It could be considered a drawback that one of the players will frequently have to wait while the remaining two finish, but I think the merits of this worthy chess variant easily balance that out. *** Lastly, I think the price is a bit high for the components, but I have enjoyed it beyond my money's worth regardless. I wish it were named differently, because the players have often been women :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Complicated But is Immense Fun, February 9, 2013
This review is from: 3 Man Chess (Toy)
I bought this for my students on a whim, and boy am I satisfied. This game is great, with lots of surprising angles and intricacies.
I love to play this against my unsuspecting students. You can't go wrong. The board is a bit delicate however, so be careful with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best three man chess board out there, November 29, 2013
This review is from: 3 Man Chess (Toy)
Takes longer to set than explain! If you know tthe rules of chess you are set. Requires a defensive mindset though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fun!, June 27, 2014
This review is from: 3 Man Chess (Toy)
I have 2 sons so this is perfect for all of us playing. It's an interesting twist to chess. Lots of fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's an interesting take on chess. We found that ..., September 22, 2014
J. Hartley "Queen of the Menagerie" (St. Louis, Missouri, the Holy City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3 Man Chess (Toy)
It's an interesting take on chess. We found that some of the rules were a little confusing, but overall the game struck us as a creative and interesting twist. The board is attractive and the pieces are of decent size and construction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, November 4, 2014
This review is from: 3 Man Chess (Toy)
Really fun twist on the classic game. The circular movement adds an element of intrigue!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price, January 2, 2014
This review is from: 3 Man Chess (Toy)
Pros: The game is fun and very different from normal chess.

Cons: The pieces are very cheap and the board seems flimsy. I'm worried I'm going to break it every time I unfold it. The rules are very barebones and they don't directly address some of the more confusing aspects of the game. For example, each player has the option from the start of taking 2 moves to attack the castle to either side. The knight doesn't pass across the corner of the moat so this move is technically legal but it seems very cheap, so we have made an unofficial rule that this isn't allowed.

Definitely not worth the $50 I paid for it but unfortunately there aren't many other 3 person chessboards out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars really good, August 20, 2013
This review is from: 3 Man Chess (Toy)
the game came as intended. Very good quality. Recommend buying. The board is a little bit confusing at first but you get used to it. Easy to play if you know how to play chess

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›