5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Dump Cakes
Published on March 22, 2012 by T Moon

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Cookbook
This cookbook has 30 recipes that are easy to follow, fun, and delicious. I like the personal touches and the formatting of the book is great for the kindle. I personally do not like all of the store-bought ingredients so much and would prefer homemade alternatives. Pictures would be nice too. Overall it is a good cookbook.
Published 21 months ago by Melody

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Dump Cakes, March 22, 2012
This review is from: 30 Delicious Dump Cake Recipes (Kindle Edition)
I never knew so many recieps for dump cakes existed. Lori has really presented a wide variety of recipes that are easy to make. I loved the apple dump cake, and it is so much easier than making an apple pie. I really enjoyed the strawberry devils' food cake, too. It satified my desire for chocolate and had a healthy touch of fruit. (Oh, well, I can dream!) It was just so good!

It is fun to make these with my grandchildren. They love to help in the kitchen, and they can easily make dump cakes with me without too much mess. Also, they love the fact that the product is amazing!

This is really a nice little book and would make a great gift for friends who don't love to cook but do like to show off a bit. They can serve a lovely dessert without too much effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick bake sale items and desserts, June 5, 2012
This review is from: 30 Delicious Dump Cake Recipes (Kindle Edition)
If you have forgotten you offered to supply items for a bake sale or need a quick dessert and time has run short these recipes fit the bill.

My mother introduced me to dump cakes 35 or 40 years ago. She came home from work, dumped a can of cherry pie filling into a pan and shook a cake mix over it, put it in the oven and surprised my dad with it at dinner.

Surprisingly for as easy as they are to make they can look quite sophiticated. You can serve them in unexpected ways like in large wine glasses or top them with flavored whipped cream and berries or other garnish. Even a little shaved chocolate (you can always use a chocolate bar and vegetable peeler in a pinch) on Cool Whip can look special and parfaits are always pretty.

As far as the book goes a bit editing would have helped and there really are not 30 recipes. Some of them could have just said "or you can subsitute" which would have probably left 15 or fewer recipes.

But on the upside, I gave it 4 stars because she has some flavorful recipes and if you've never made a dump cake her explainations will lead you through it. I had never thought of using pineapple (that was worth one star alone). I made one with a few alterations (fresh fruit and juice)topped with flaked coconut. Rum flavored whipped cream and the aways tropical little paper drink umbrella finished off the individual servings for a WOW! response.

I was very happy to see some fresh fruit recipes in the book and other ways to cut the sugar and fat. As I started, if you need a dessert in a hurry dump cakes are a good answer and the recipes in this book will not let you down. If you've never been a baker serving one of the book's recipes will impress your friends and family with your newly found talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, March 21, 2012
Bryan J. Bowers (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 30 Delicious Dump Cake Recipes (Kindle Edition)
I love dump cakes and have made countless ones on Boy Scout campouts over my lifetime. Unfortunately, those recipes all involved a dutch oven which isn't practical at home. I loved the author's last book so I was so excited when I saw she published this one. The recipes are incredible and bring back so many wonderful memories from camping. My favorite recipes from this book are the black forest, the cherry, and the peach pineapple one. If you love desserts you have to pick this book up today. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dump Cakes are So Yummy!, March 25, 2012
This review is from: 30 Delicious Dump Cake Recipes (Kindle Edition)
I was amazed to find a whole cookbook of recipes I had never heard of before. Never knew there was such a thing as a 'Dump Cake'. This book has enlightened me! I love cobblers so that was what drew me to the book. Then I discovered that these are all made with cake mixes. That was a bit of a problem for me as I don't make many recipes that use cake mixes. However, I decided to keep an open mind and try a couple of them. All I can say is, WOW! I was impressed. The flavor is superb and they are super easy to make.

These Dump Cakes are similar to but not exactly like a typical cobbler. However, they certainly are good. I made the Lemon Blueberry Cake and it was delicious. What a great way to eat blueberries! I also made the Apple recipe with the Granny Smith apples and it was also excellent. I probably won't make these cakes every week or anything, but when I'm in a hurry and need a dessert, I'll use this little gem of a cookbook.

Marg Ruttan
International Best Selling Cookbook Author

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Cookbook, October 1, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars What an original idea for a book..., July 27, 2012
This review is from: 30 Delicious Dump Cake Recipes (Kindle Edition)
Let me first start off by saying I had no idea what a "dump cake" was before I read this book. Lori's other book 30 Delicious Refrigerator Cake Recipes was so intresting and insightful, I thought I would give this one a try. After reading through the introduction, it dawned on me that my Mom used to make dump cakes for my family growing up all the time. I actually remember helping my Mom make a variation of the Pumpkin Pie Dump Cake recipe in the book during Thanksgiving. Who knew, lol.

Lori did a great job with this book. The recipe directions are easy to understand and very easy to follow. I also like that she included notes for the health conscious as well. She provides great info on how to reduce the fat content of the recipes.

The absolute BEST thing about dump cakes are that they only take about 5 or 10 minutes of prep time. And they are so easy that if you have little ones, they can help you make the desserts.

I actually made the Granny's Apple Dump Cake with my daughter this past weekend and it turned out great! She helped with the mixing and the pouring and we both had a wonderful time baking together. Next up for us will be the Simple Peach Pineapple Dump Cake.

This is a really cute book filled with quick and easy dessert recipes.

Definitely recommended!

2.0 out of 5 stars Recipes not all there...., June 18, 2012
This review is from: 30 Delicious Dump Cake Recipes (Kindle Edition)
Someone should have proofread this better. Almost every recipe calls for cutting butter and placing it on top of the cake mix; but not all recipes have butter listed as an ingredient. If you are a first time baker...read carefully with caution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy Yum!, March 20, 2012
This review is from: 30 Delicious Dump Cake Recipes (Kindle Edition)
Who would have thought that such an amazing dessert could be prepared in such record time? The Lemon Raspberry is a taste sensation! Read through the recipes, if you have never made a cake before in your life then prepare yourself for the compliments, these recipes create desserts of dreamy flavours and textures and are childs play to make. If you hadn't guessed by now I am rapt that I found this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, April 13, 2014
This review is from: 30 Delicious Dump Cake Recipes (Kindle Edition)
Easy peasy desserts. Have liked every single one we tried. Since there are only two of us, I use half the fruit and use a small box of JIFFY cake mix! I make the full recipe when the grandchildren come. Thanks - real time saver!

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 Delicious Dump Cake Recipes - By Lori Burke - Nice Compilation of Easy to Make Desserts, February 1, 2014
This review is from: 30 Delicious Dump Cake Recipes (Kindle Edition)
A couple months ago I was reading recipe reviews and ran across "Dump Cake" books. Had never heard of such a cake, and was more than a little put off by the name... but decided to try a few to see how they tasted -- and am glad that we did!

As best that I can tell, these things are called "Dump Cakes" because you really just "dump" cake mix, fruit and butter into a pan and cook the darned thing like that. The recipes are not fancy; they really are one big shortcut involving boxed cake mix, canned fruit (some add fresh fruit too), vanilla and a few other ingredients tossed in. Ms. Burke recommends Duncan Hines mix without pudding in order to get the crispy finish, which we like too.

To me, these end up looking like and tasting like cobbler. The recipes are simple and easy to follow and they are all quite similar in nature. For variation, try making them with different cake mix (yellow, white, etc...) to find out which combination you and your family really like best with different fruits.

If your family is like ours, with little time left for gourmet food after school, work, archery, volleyball practice, soccer and all of the other daily demands... it was nice to find something quick and easy to make that actually ends up to be very good tasting too! Based mostly on boxed cake mix and canned fruit, little time & effort is required.

Even our teenage son is willing to make one of these when he gets home from school, so you know that it is just about a no-brainer process! His favorites so far are the Granny's Apple and the Cherry/Pineapple cakes.

If looking for a simple dessert for your on-the-go gang, and if on a budget similar to ours, then we highly recommend that you try dump cakes... and this compilation is a good, easy-to-follow place to start.

Simple, interesting and recommended.

30 Delicious Dump Cake Recipes