Published on January 29, 2009 by Beth Cholette

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok video by a great trainer
Published on May 16, 2010 by shallwedance

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent heavy weights workout with plenty of options available!, January 29, 2009
This review is from: 30 Minutes To Fitness: Weights Workout with Kelly Coffey-Meyer (DVD)
This was the first workout in fitness instructor Kelly Coffey-Meyer's new 30 Minutes to Fitness series. Like the other DVDs in this series, 30 Minutes to Fitness Weights offers two separate splits-style workouts; when combined with the warm-up, each of these workouts is approximately 30 minutes long, perfect if you are short on time. However, additional options allow you to create a longer workout as well as to add in lots of variety (described below).

Kelly works out with two background exercises, one of whom shows modifications for some of the exercises. The Main Menu of the DVD lists the Warm-Up, Workout 1, Workout 2, Workout Sections, and Premixes; there are also audio options for working out with music or with Kelly's voice only. In her introduction, Kelly explains that the workouts are designed for heavier lifting. She recommends that beginners use 5 lbs., intermediate 7 lbs., and advanced 10 lbs. (note that these weight amounts are different than what is is listed on the DVD menu). I found these amounts to be about right, as I consider myself to be high intermediate, and I used 8 lbs. through the majority of both workouts, sometimes pyramiding up to 10 lbs.

The basic 3-minute warm-up includes marches, taps with reaches, side steps, and hamstring curls. Without the warm-up, Workout #1, which focuses on Back, Legs, & Chest, is 29.5 minutes long, and Workout #2, concentrating on Biceps, Triceps, & Shoulders, is 27 minutes long. Both workouts follow the same general format: a single exercise consisting of 8 repetitions is performed for each of the three targeted body parts. This round is then repeated once, and then you take an "active rest." The active rests are 1-minute periods of standing ab work; these are fast-paced and hardly feel like a "rest," but they're a fun break from the strength work. Two more strength rounds and two more rest periods follow, and then there's just a few very brief stretches to finish. Kelly moves quickly from exercise to exercise in both workouts--don't be surprised if your heart rate stays up the whole time. As always, she adds a lot of unique twists to to the exercises, such as hesitation holds, deadlifts with a twist, and some challenging push-up/plank moves. She also manages to sneak in additional strength work during the so-called rests (ie, one of the rests includes plies to work the legs).

The Premixes on this DVD provide a great amount of variety to the workouts. The first four premixes feature the workouts exactly as above, with the only changes being to the active rest portions. For the first two premixes, the active rest portions in both workouts are replaced by 2 minutes of floor abdominal work (exercises include leaning rows with lifts, knee tuck crunches, full sit-ups with arm reaches, frog-leg crunches, and side leg crunches). For the next two premixes, the active rest portions in both workouts are replaced by low-cardio segments, including simple moves such as v-steps, knee repeaters, side-steps, hamstring pulls, toe taps, and lunges. Each of these premixes remains about 30 minutes in length.

There are also three additional premixes as follows:
Full Body--1 rotation of each exercise (38m)
Mixed Full Body Blast--no active rests (41m)
Time-Saver Full Body Blast--2 exercises each body part w/no rests (31m)

As with the other DVDs in her 30 Minutes to Fitness series, Kelly did a great job in this video, which provides users with plenty of workout options. Overall, I give this 4 1/2 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! My body is changing fast!, February 14, 2010
Jamey (MEMPHIS, Tunisia) - See all my reviews
This video convinced me that weights are the secret of changing your body.

When I first got this, it was impossible to do, but it set my goals high to get through it. I started out with 2 pound weights and all the modifications. My body got stronger immediately. I am progressing through heavier weights and using fewer modifications. My body is changing before my eyes. The ab workout is changing my stomach. I like the many different mixes avaiable to customize the workout to your available time and fitness level. I do mix it with a more moderate video I have to allow my body to rest/recover when needed.

After 45 years of neglecting self to care for others, it is very empowering to find a program that works. I now realize all the aerobics in the world will not change your body like weights will. I would definately buy it again if I could do it all over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good intermediate workout ;-0, April 26, 2008
Little Miss Cutey (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
While I like this workout, I certainly have better workouts from Kelly. This one is good though for your abs and upper body. There are two main workouts here and both are about 30 minutes all up. They are tough and leave you feeling it the next day (or two) but sticking to it will definately give you results.
The first workout is for chest, back and your legs and the second one is for shoulders and biceps and triceps. I like the music that's used here because I find it motivating. There is also an additional ab section which is helpful and good to do. I feel that this is lacking upper body work like flies and chest presses. It almost seems a little incomplete, yet doing this is obviously better than not doing any work at all.
Kelly is encouraging and outgoing but not annoying. This dvd gets it done in a short amount of time but you will certainly feel the burn and yet have fun at the same time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok video by a great trainer, May 16, 2010
I bought this video after watching Kelly Coffey-Meyer's Step-Boxing workout DVD which is absolutely fantastic. I love her style, no-nonsense, no hullabaloo, solid exercises performed well and coached well. Her style seems pretty spartan-no thrills no frills- and I love that about her. This particular video is also simple and clearly performed. The editing leaves a lot to be desired, in my opinion. There are several options (or mixes) to customize your workout, two main workout choices (legs, chest, and back; or biceps, triceps, shoulders) coupled with different "active rest periods" (low-impact cardio or abdominal work). Again, the exercises are simple and to the point. The editing of the mixes, though, doesn't give enough time to go from lying on the floor doing ab work to standing up and holding 15 lb dumbbells for the next set, so I'm always rushing those transitions. Also, the leg workout is not very challenging at all, though I guess you could always increase the weight and be challenged that way, still, I liked that part of the workout the least out of this DVD, and it was the part I was looking forward to the most. Overall, though, Coffey-Meyer's great, talks you through each exercise directly, succinctly, and just exudes motivation. I'd love to own another step-boxing DVD of hers, and I'll still check out her other stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Efficiently and effectively does the job, December 27, 2008
Shari (WHITTIER, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I use this as a warm-up before my morning run. (I know typically you'd do the cardio first, but I found I feel stronger on my runs and walks if I do this short strength routine first) The 30 minute - all body parts, no active rest routine is my favorite. Kelly is enthusiastic but not as sacharine or peppy as some of video instructors. I was using the 15 pound weights as she recommended for advanced audiences but found I was starting to bulk up, so dropped down to the 10 pound weights. The deadlifts and squats offer a good way to both stretch and strengthen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a real weightlifting workout!, May 25, 2009
I had been looking for a good weightlifting workout for a while and came across this DVD at another site with reviews and decided to give it a try. Well I was pleasantly surprised that this DVD actually is interesting and fun and it works you out. You can start out with beginner weight (5 lbs.) and move up to immediate or advanced. Kelly stresses that if you cannot feel it you should increase the weight because you want to exhaust your arms and if it's too easy without a lot of repatition the workout might not be as effective as it should. I started out on the beginner level the first day but moved to the 8 lbs. weights quickly.

I really like the instructions and that they show variations of the workout and at the pace you can keep up with. I'm using this DVD in combination with a Jillian Michaels DVD and pilates and yoga but I think this will be a staple in my exercise workout routine for a long time to come because it gets results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight forward., April 19, 2013
AMELIA (FRIENDSWOOD, TX, US) - See all my reviews
I bought this because I wanted a short video with weight lifting in it. I had never heard of Kelly before but read the reviews and thought I'd give her a try. Wow, I'm so glad I did. I usually do the Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 workouts, but this dvd really impressed me. I love the fact that it is straight forward, no weird yoga movements or uncomfortable positions you have to be in. She doesn't talk much either, which I love too, strictly business. No breaks in between is tough but if you only have 30 minutes this is gonna get the job done. It's a tough workout and the best I've ever tried. I've tried p90x, Jillian workouts, insanity, zumba, and kickboxing! And btw this is the first review I've ever written on any of the workouts.

2.0 out of 5 stars 30 minutes to fitness, April 28, 2012
Was not what I was looking for, too many squats. It had looked to me like a weight workout, which was what I wanted, so much of what they do I cannot because of my knees. It was not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense and dynamic workout, December 8, 2010
I was attending body sculpting classes and working with dumbbells for a year. The results are tremendous. Now, my work schedule and income changed so I can't attend my body sculpting classes any more. I decided to try this DVD, because I have read good reviews about it and I can save money. I am very impressed by the organization of the material on the DVD. There are so many different workouts to choose from. Kelly is very dynamic and encouraging. She is probably the most encouraging fitness instructor I have ever seen! Even from the screen of my computer she is able to engage me into exercising and most importantly finishing it. The workouts are very intense. I felt the results of the workout next day. What I love about this DVD is that workouts are 30-40 minutes and easy to do at home. I am working out with 8 lb dumbbells and now I am thinking about getting 10 lb for more results. I would recommend this DVD to anyone who likes to workout with dumbbells. Also, I could be a great supplement to other fitness programs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent workout when tight on time..., May 18, 2011
I workout regularly, but like many women, I emphasize cardio and don't get enough strength training so I was looking for something to ease me into it. I am very pleased with this workout for just that. It packs a lot in a short amount of time and leaves my muscles twitching at the end! I love that you can choose what you would like to do for the rests (either abs or low-impact cardio). I would recommend this video to anyone who doesn't have a ton of time but who is looking for maximum benefits in the short amount of time they do have. This paired with a good cardio routine and healthy diet will definitely show results (and already has for me)!

30 Minutes To Fitness: Weights Workout with Kelly Coffey-Meyer