Published on February 1, 2012 by Barbara Joyce

Published on December 5, 2012 by Gillby

5.0 out of 5 stars A real review from a real cook who really tried some recipes!, February 1, 2012
This review is from: 300 Best Rice Cooker Recipes: Also Including Legumes and Whole Grains (Paperback)
I just bought my first-ever rice cooker (a very nice Zojirushi model). Since some of the reviews of this cookbook have been negative and completely without reasonable basis (giving it one star because so many others gave it five stars--what is the logic to that?!?!), I decided to wait to review it until I had time to study the informative portions of the book and could try a few recipes.

My first three efforts included a risotto, a pilaf and a polenta. First, Lemony Risotto with Shrimp, pictured on the front of the book. I figured if it made the cover, it had to be good, and it was! Just the right hint of lemon along with a delicious, creamy risotto and perfectly cooked shrimp, all without the constant stirring usually required when making risotto. Next was Orange Pistachio Pilaf, made with plain old white rice. An easy and delicious side dish! Last was Polenta Primavera, a little more work, but a wonderful vegetarian entrée.

Pros: The beginning pages of this book are worth the price alone. The author starts with a discussion of rice cookers in general. There follow pages of descriptions of various rices (I had no idea there were so many different kinds of rice!), grains, and legumes that can be cooked in your rice cooker. Along the way, she educates about the proper way to prepare these foods. For example, she states that all rices should be rinsed before cooking, except Arborio and Carnaroli, and she explains why.

The index is very detailed and accurate. There are 2 small sections with color photographs tucked inside the book. There are recipes for breakfasts, desserts, and everything in between. Some of the recipes require a large-capacity rice cooker, and some require a unit that features fuzzy-logic. But most can be made in a medium size unit, even one that just has an on-off setting.

Con: My only disappointment is that there are a number recipes where the only use of the rice cooker is to cook plain rice, and then use it with the recipe--such as a stir fry, cooked in a wok, and served over steamed rice. To me, that isn't a rice cooker recipe. But they look so good, I still give this cookbook five stars!

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent variety but has far too many non-rice cooker recipes and lacks some important details, December 5, 2012
I recently got on the rice cooker bandwagon having bought an expensive fuzzy-logic machine, so I'm well aware of the wide variety of foods that a rice cooker can make, especially the fuzzy-logic kind. So I was expecting a book purporting to have 300 recipes for rice cookers to expand my horizons on what I can do with my machine. I was impressed by the variety and different flavors of cuisine represented in the book (Japanese, Thai, Italian, Indian, Southern American, Mexican, etc.) and by the styles of dishes (the book is sectioned into: breakfasts; appetizers, snacks, and sushi; salads; soups; stews and chilis; main dishes and one-pot meals; risottos and pilafs; side dishes; steam cuisine; desserts). As one would expect, there are a plethora of very interesting and creativity-inspiring dishes involving various rice and grains and rice cookers which made the book worth a buy for me.

However, I am perplexed at what some of the recipes have to do with rice cookers, especially since in the "How to Use This Book" section the author says "All of the recipes in this book can be made using an electronic rice cooker." Well, that's stretching the truth to say the least. Many recipes just take something that you are to previously have made presumably in the rice cooker, like cooked rice or chickpeas or lentils, and then are just a regular non-rice cooker recipe sometimes requiring various other equipment like skillets, food processors, ovens, broiling pan, etc. For example, recipes like quiche, pancakes, pate, bean dip, garlic steak...none of which have anything to do with a ricecooker. I think these recipes should be in their own section as horizon-expanding supplements since they are not made in a rice cooker and are just things you can do with rice and grains basically, and they shouldn't be part of the misleading 300 in the title!

Strangely, the top of the recipes are supposed to list in bold the equipment and/or type of rice cooker needed for the recipe (some require a fuzzy logic only), but some of the recipes are missing this information making quick browsing difficult. Last, the book's intro was very no-frills, and the design of the book is extremely basic and boring with only a few inserts of sumptuous color pictures.

So I give the book three stars because while it has a nice variety of recipes and basic rice cooker explanations and is a great addition for any rice cooker owner, it's frustrating to not be able to make many of the recipes because I don't have the equipment which I didn't think I'd need given the title of the book, although there are PLENTY for me to still try with my rice cooker. There are very few cookbooks out there on cooking with rice cookers, so this one is absolutely worth a buy along with "The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook" (which is much richer in detail, background, and interesting tips and gives more nuanced instructions for the advantages of on/off machines vs. fuzzy logics).

3.0 out of 5 stars FYI- NOT for small rice cookers, June 4, 2013
magicgirl (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
Just want to warn those who have a small rice cooker, don't get excited.
This book is for medium rice cookers 14-16 cups, or large 19-22 cups.
And if its an on/off cheap model there aren't that many recipes for it either.

This book is a little deceiving....
The recipes don't always use the rice cooker exclusively.
It makes you cook a meal on the stovetop separately and then you add the rice from the rice cooker.
To me, that doesn't sound like a rice cooker recipe book.
I was expecting recipes that you could do by putting everything in the rice cooker.

The recipes look good, but I wish it would use the rice cooker as the main method of cooking.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, May 23, 2013
Luckily for me I borrowed this book from the library before actually purchasing it otherwise I would have definately returned it.
I was looking for recipes where I could just throw everything in the rice cooker and come back 1 hour later and have dinner ready instead I was presented with recipes that required cooking ingredients in a separate skillet or in the oven and then add the pre cooked rice later.
Overall the recipes are not bad but they're nothing new and a lot of them can be found online or on other recipes book.
Sadly I cannot recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Working Parent's Dream, October 4, 2011
This book is great for everyone, not just a working parent. It's the same problem that we all experience - you work a full day and have no energy to prepare a meal for you or your family. You want to order in but you think twice because of the expense and you want to eat something on the healthier side. This book accomplishes it all! Meals can be made relatively quickly, you can see each ingrediant going into your dish, and the cleanup isn't miserable because you really only use 1 item to cook. I found this cookbook to be exactly what my wife and I needed. Plus, this isn't rice cooker specific or even specific to rice itself. The author seems to have really done her homework. Thanks Chef Chin!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Adventuresome with Your Rice Cooker, October 12, 2011
Until finding "300 Best Rice Cooker Recipes", my rice cooker repertoire was limited to jasmine and Spanish rice concoctions. But Katie Chin has inspired me to bump up the adventure quotient and create some amazing dishes that incorporate meats, seafood and the freshest produce, herbs and spices that the Farmers Market has to offer.
This book will turn you into a serious rice cooker because most of the recipes are quite involved and use numerous ingredients. This is not a book for the cook in a hurry.But the offerings are so delicious and sumptuous and in some cases downright exotic, why not slow down and savor the experience! You can even use your rice cooker for breakfast ("Berry Breakfast Risotto")or dessert ("Amaranth Raisin Pudding" and "Pumpkin Rice Pudding").
If you don't own a rice cooker, "300 Best Rice Cooker Recipes" will certainly inspire you to buy one. If you do already use one, expect it to get a good workout on a daily basis with inspiration from Chin's new book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive recipes!, September 11, 2011
Who ever knew how much a rice cooker can do? Ms. Chin provides all kinds of creative options. We've tried several of the
recipes and have been very impressed. It's so nice to know what to do with quinoa (the turkey quinoa picadillo and quinoa
paella are awesome). Also tried the Lamb Vindaloo on Kalijira Rice -- great.
Definite recommend for this book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Little actual use of the rice cooker, January 3, 2013
This is basically a recipe book that occasionally has rice dishes in it, so just for that part of the recipe you use the rice cooker. Everything else you cook and fry as usual. There also is very little vegetarian recipes in here.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes, just not all for a rice cooker, October 28, 2013
My zojirushi rice cooker didn't respond well to the ones where you had to start the cooking again. For example, the soups didn't work. The rice cooker detected that it was too hot and had been running too long. I wonder if theses are even a good idea to try if you spent a lot of money on your rice cooker.

That being said, I took the soup out of the rice cooker when it would no longer let me cook it there, finished it on the stove, and it was delicious. So it was a good recipe, but not worth trying to force my rice cooker to make it when I could make it in a pot just as easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dinner Rescue Resource!, December 19, 2011
Paul H. (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have to cook dinner most nights for my family, after a long day at work, and this book has been a Godsend to rescue me from the dinner-preparation doldrums. Good ideas here to add into the usual lineup --quick to prepare dishes that come out tasting (and looking) great. Also, the focus on really healthy ingredients is really appreciated. A great way to get kids to try more healthy fare. I highly recommend this.

300 Best Rice Cooker Recipes: Also Including Legumes and Whole Grains