Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

When other reviewers say that a book has the same basic recipes but a simple spice or protein change counts as a 'new recipe', believe them! I bought this book anyway despite reading this same kind of review about this book (and most of the others). It's true! it's really true.

Like others say, it's also hard to find a recipe. You have to know what it's called, and if it has some odd name instead of just 'meatballs', good luck Chuck! I have three different slow cookers and I'll be damned if any of them make a good version of anything in this book. Three cookers can't be wrong, it has to be the recipes. I found them overdone, or too watery, or just not having the flavorful bang that I expected.

The recipes LOOK GOOD on paper, I can't deny it, I marked several to try and just could not get desirable results in the (basic) 6-8 hour time frame that most recipes seem to call for. Unlike the recipes I love from George Stella and other authors, the flavors in these just do not seem to fall within a range that myself or my family like. Some not enough, others just don't feel like there is a good balance between the spices used. Not anything in here I would try twice, that's for sure.

I could 'trade it in' on Amazon for a whole $1.75! Whoopee, after I paid what, $15 for this new? Ugh.
There are tons of slow cooker recipes for free on the internet, that you can easily adapt to low carb cooking. And they don't rely on Splenda out the wazzoo! I hate the aftertaste of Splenda and a lot of these sweet recipes take such an everloving MOUNTAIN of them, that it makes the final product inedible for our tastes.
Not one I would recommend. And I'll be giving my copy away because my local used bookstores will not buy it from me or even let me trade it in!!
22 comments37 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 22, 2011
Dana Carpender's previous slow cooker book had been my favorite cookbook. Now, it's this one. I did not notice any missing recipes in the first 6 chapters, but there are loads of new ones that look absolutely yummy. The font and page layout are easy on the eyes. Definitely worth the upgrade from 200 to 300 recipes. You need this book.
0Comment23 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 7, 2011
Just made my first recipe -- Chicken Paprikash -- from the new book, and it is plate-licking wonderful. A conservative estimate would be that over 45 years of cooking, I've made Chicken Paprikash at least 180 times from many, many different recipes. This was absolutely the best. If the rest of the book is this good, we'll be in hog heaven for a good long time.
P.S. the only tinkering I did with the recipe was to degrease and reduce the sauce which forms in the crock pot before adding the sour cream, a maneuver suggested elsewhere in the book.
on November 16, 2011
Since starting a low carb lifestyle and loving to cook I have found Dana's recipes to be inventive but not
overcomplicated. I just tried the "Stuffed Pepper" recipe last night and it was great. I have also purchased 1001 Low Carb recipes and 300 15-minute recipes. They give me lots of great ideas to try while maintaining my low carb eating plan. If you love to cook and want to keep it low carb give her books a try.
11 comment12 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2012
Almost all of the "sweet" recipes in this book, from appetizers to desserts, require splenda. If you're not interested in using artificial sweeteners you might not find this book that useful.
22 comments19 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2012
I have made several of these recipes so far, and this cookbook gets my stamp of approval. There aren't too many ingredients which are hard to find (I found Bob's Red Mill guar gum at Whole Foods, and it was much cheaper than Xanthan) and, for the most part, the recipes are straightforward and simple.

I have to scale up the ingredients since my slow cooker is 6 quarts (like most slow cooker books this one has the recipes scaled to a 4-5 quart pot) but it's amazing to wake up to the smells of beef stroganoff or curried chicken. (I am gone more than 12 hours a day, so I cook these recipes overnight and pack them up in lunch containers in the morning.)

Be careful about the carb counts; some recipes are higher in net carbs than others, and you need to take serving size into account as well. But with some pre-planning, this can be an integral part of a healthful and delicious low-carb diet!
on March 12, 2014
I thought the book was good as far as listing carbs for the recipe but the recipes could have been written better .I don't like to have to refer back to the list of common or uncommon ingredients.I want to use easy ingredients that i have on hand.I think the atkins cookbook will be better for me.
on November 22, 2014
I love Dana's cookbooks. I am a diehard low carb lifestyle person. I went Atkins in 2002, lost 83 pounds and have managed to keep most of it off. I work full time and need to make easy stuff and also have good leftovers that are easy to warm up. Dana is also a low carber and provides just what I wanted. I use the crock pot/slow cooker all the time and these work great. Of course Winter is now in season so even more reason to cook these low carb versions of the most popular comfort foods.
Buy it, use it, cook it and enjoy while keeping your low carb weight.
on November 24, 2014
If you are watching your carbs--this book is for you. I use my slow cooker a lot and this fits nicely with our busy lifestyle. There are no funny ingredients--you can get everything at your grocery store. I set mine up the night before and just plug in the next AM. Dana knows what she is talking about with a low carb diet. She gives a great intro on slow cookers, timing, and ingredients. Well worth the purchase.
on December 9, 2012
I work 8-9 hours a day. I love to have a meal waiting for me in the crock-pot when I slump in the door at the end of a long day. Dana Carpender's books have helped me drop 20lbs and will make the next 20 doable - especially with lo-carb in the crock-pot! Thank you!