4.0 out of 5 stars David McAfee combines two unlikely genres in 33 A.D.
This book was purchased on a multiple-Kindle account and reviewed by Jonathan King (not Alice, his lovely Mother-In-Law):

Published on June 8, 2010 by A. M. Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great - possible spoiler
Published on October 18, 2010 by A. Lindsey

4.0 out of 5 stars David McAfee combines two unlikely genres in 33 A.D., June 8, 2010
This review is from: 33 A.D. (Bachiyr Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

The passion and death of Jesus Christ is one of the best known stories in human history, but even a casual read of the Gospels reveals just how...spare the story is. The final week of Jesus' life is maybe the most dynamic period of time in the New Testament, and yet the story arc of that short time in Jerusalem is presented as a series of staccato events from the focused point of view of a few disciples. David McAfee sets his novel "33 A.D." in the gray areas between these events, and in the process builds a genre-crossing world that while initially shocking, hooks the reader almost immediately, and allows for greater expansion of the story and characters.

The initial story concept of a vampire with a mission to assassinate Jesus is, on its face, not an easy one for some to immediately accept, myself included. But from the first pages McAfee establishes a tense, quickly-paced story that viscerally grabs the reader's attention. The story follows the exploits of Theron, 900-year old Bachyir (a Hebrew word translated roughly as "chosen one" and here used interchangeably with "vampire"), and Lead Enforcer of the Council of Thirteen. In response to the growing threat to the vampires' influence represented by Jesus of Nazareth and his revolutionary teachings, the Council has decreed that Jesus must die, and in as painful and public a way as possible. Theron's effort to complete this task forms the foundation of the primary plot, but the mission is of course not nearly as straightforward as Theron anticipates, which becomes apparent to him the moment he lays eyes on the Nazarene.

A parallel plot follows Taras, a conflicted Roman centurion stationed in occupied Jerusalem, tasked with investigating several instances of Theron's prior handywork, and his forbidden relationship with the daughter of a wealthy Jewish merchant. The plotlines intersect in a devastating and revelatory climax, and set up the future paths the story may take in works beyond this novel.

Practically speaking, this is a vampire story, with plot devices and themes that regular readers of the sprawling genre of paranormal fiction will recognize quickly. But not far underneath are the clear messages of forgiveness, peace, and faith that have become synonymous with the teachings of Christ and the religion that emerged from Israel 2000 years ago. The characters are not easily categorized into hero and villain, protagonist and antagonist. Jesus himself functions less as a character in his own right as much as a source of motivation for those around him--for better or worse, depending on the point of view. Everyone is flawed, and nearly all the main characters eventually realize that the paths they've chosen have been determined not so much from free will, but from the manipulations of those they have trusted.

Those who tend to shy away from so-called Christian Fiction should not avoid this book, since the traditionally Christian themes are presented subtly, and by no means dominate either the dialogue or the plot. Those who favor strong female characters, however, are out of luck here. This is a book populated by men (soldiers, criminals, politicians), with male-driven motivations. The women who do play a role are not really given a chance to demonstrate anything beyond concern for their respective mates. This is a shame, but perhaps reflective of the ancient society in which the story is set.

I found this book to be a great page-turner, and I sincerely hope to see more work from McAfee in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, September 28, 2010
This review is from: 33 A.D. (Bachiyr Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
For the second night in a row I sat in bed reading this book while a slight smile played on my lips. Once agian the clock read 2:30, but I still had a chapter to go. When I read the final words of the book (and the epiloge hungry for more) I did something i have never done before. I flipped open the book to page one and began reading it all over again til I fell asleep in it's pages.

I can not stress how much I adore this book. I never review ANYTHING but this is book is the first that allowed me to answer the famous "what's your favorite book" question. Simple, 33 A.D.

The characters are easy to relate to and the scenes are gorey in the best way, i'm only sad that the next book picks up with a new character for i have indeed fallen in love with the twisted lead in the book. Theron. I can't wait to read more of David's work. 33 A.D is a marvalous novel which I absolutely did forget my own world in while reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampire story with a historical thriller twist!, March 15, 2010
This review is from: 33 A.D. (Bachiyr Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
It's been a long time since I read a book this original and thought-provoking. What if vampire's were working in the background of the events surrounding Jesus being crucified? I'd never imagined the two , vampires and Jesus Christ, being able to fit together in a cohesive and believable way, but David McAfee manages to do just that. The author combines several distinct genres into one satisfying and compelling story.

The action in this novel starts from page 1, continuing to the very end. The plot is full of shadowy, mysterious characters, historical places and circumstances, and even a love story. If you're looking for something new, and a story that cannot be forgotten, then 33 A.D. is what you need.

I highly recommend this novel and look forward to more works by this exciting new author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great - possible spoiler, October 18, 2010
A. Lindsey (Washington State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 33 A.D. (Bachiyr Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I liked the premise (Vanpires/Jesus) because it was interesting enough to get me reading, and made me curious enough to keep me reading. I'm not much for horror, but I always like to keep the intended audience in mind, which I'll try to do here. I do think the writing was quite good, overall. The pacing moved along and kept me in it. Although, I did find the overall story to be a bit lacking. The feel of the story was rather like a silly comedy, where all the characters are running around trying to get things done, but with all the misinformation never quite meeting the intended goal. There really wasn't any character arch or evolution. The human assassin just became a better inhuman killer. The part that really turned me off was when the Roman assassin, with all his knowledge of danger, has his beloved wait for him on an empty street in the dark. Her father was out of town, so why not just meet her at home? If you wanted her to die, I understand, but this was a silly way to do it. Again, I did enjoy the overall story, but I think it could have been greatly enhanced with some character evolution and a more believable (consistent with the character) ending.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, So-so Delivery, April 22, 2011
This review is from: 33 A.D. (Bachiyr Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really wanted to like this book. I thought the premise behind it is just completely genius. But unfortunately the author's writing style didn't jive with me. It's hard to put my finger on it but the word that comes to mind is "unpolished."

There are a few specific things that really irked me but some are spoilers so I'll only mention one thing: the way the author depicted Roman soldiers and their dialogue. I'm not saying I'm an expert in the field but it just didn't seem authentic. There were phrases that they would use that seemed anachronistic.

I don't want to write more for fear of sounding too harsh. Like I said before the premise behind this story is great and I really wanted to enjoy this book. I just... didn't.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great premise but predictable., April 28, 2011
This review is from: 33 A.D. (Bachiyr Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Warning, I usually keep my reviews short as to not accidentally give away and spoilers but alas, I had to comment on this book at run the risk of giving away a few "things" in the process. First off I love the premise of this book. I love the background of the vampires as well as the future of them. Faith acts as a shield against them.. They no longer are in control once faith is adopted.. yada yada. Good stuff. The problem that I have with the book is that I felt the author trapped himself by trying to conform to the story of Jesus. He could have done so much more if he allowed himself to create his own version of events and loosely held to Jesus and how he died and later was resurrected. Instead he molded his story to the events causing what I felt predictability and thus boredom. I am not sure if he was afraid of upsetting religious folks or ? Once I discovered how the author was going to handle the history of Jesus my mind quite accurately predicted the major events in the book. I would have liked any sort of surprise -- maybe finding out the resurrection of Jesus was actually due to Jesus being bitten by a vampire and returning.. then a struggle could ensue for him to fight off being a vampire here on earth or ascending to Heaven. Anything to give you the "Oh wow, the bible had it right but actually had it wrong.." type feeling (The author does this to some degree already but it felt forced).

The book is well worth the read but at the end of my read I could not help but feel as if the book could have been incredible.

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable but still good., July 20, 2012
This review is from: 33 A.D. (Bachiyr Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
First off I want to say that the idea of combining vampires with Christ can be a difficult thing to do but McAfee does a great job with an original idea. I was a bit skeptical at first fearing it might not keep to the Biblical story of Christ but I was pleasantly surprised after reading. So, if you are worried about that, as I was, don't be.

Now, as for the story here goes.

It was good... The dialog was a bit bland as with the characters and the whole story was a bit predictable. There was some word usage that did not fit the era of the story and some minor grammar/typo errors. It was easy to look over those and quite entertaining leaving me wanting to finish it.

The ending, however, was my favorite part of the whole story. The characters suddenly explode with personality and I definitely want to find out what happens to them because... the ending left it so open! I will be buying book two.

So, if you are looking for an easy to read, action packed and gory book then you will find it here! Get it and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not since I read Anne Rice--, July 13, 2010
D. Figueroa (Clairemont, SD, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 33 A.D. (Bachiyr Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
have I found a vampire story so disturbing and audacious, yet curiously moving.

I've never been a fan of the vampire genre, with the notable exception of Ms. Rice's books, which I didn't start to read until I was in my 40's. After reading all of them in quick succession, I didn't read another book about vamps for many years.

My Kindle has opened up a whole new world to me: that of the 'indie' author. I have read a couple of paranormal books by indies recently that were quite good, but in the back of my mind, I still compared them all to Rice's works and they came up just a tad short (or WAY short in the case of certain sparkly vamps).

The ability to draw a reader into the darkest recesses of the author's imagination and create visuals in the mind that make one feel as if they're watching film noir in their head is a rare talent that few who write in this genre possess. David McAfee has that gift.

33 A.D. grabbed me by the throat (pun intended) and held on for the entire length of the book. I even broke my Kindle partway through the book and was so drawn in that I continued to read it on my PC, which I HATE to do (but it did slow me down a lot, backlit screens really bother my eyes). When my replacement arrived, I finished the last half of the book in less than a day. Then I went back and re-read the first 20% of the book.

The premise was intruiging, but I was prepared for the plot to be a bit corny or even blasphemous, but it was not. McAfee makes it easy to suspend disbelief and I found myself thinking, "Well, yeah, it could have happened precisely that way if vampires actually existed.

Not for the faint of heart, there is a lot of gore, but it's appropriate to the storyline. I won't put you through another synopsis of the plot, as many have already done that better than I could and the book's description is well done.

The story moves along and I found it captivating from beginning to end, the plot never drags, not once. As others have stated, I found nothing to offend in the way that Jesus' final days are described and yes, it's a time in the life of Christ that leaves a lot of room for guesswork.

These aren't warm and fuzzy vamps, they don't glimmer in the sunlight, aren't moody adolescents and they don't fall in love. The way they are affected by Jesus is profound and entirely plausible.

Be prepared, though ... there are a couple of cliffhangers at the end, well, maybe not cliffhangers so much as room for a sequel or two. There is a lot of 'life' left in a couple of these characters.

All in all, I was much more impressed than I expected to be and I heartily recommend it to all. Despite the theme, this is not a 'religious' book, but the author does treat the subject with respect. I wouldn't expect it to raise the hackles of anyone but the most rabidly religious. The only criticism I have, which would cost about 1/10th of a star, is his repetition of the line 'grit his teeth' a few too many times, otherwise, the prose is wonderful.

Looking forward to reading the next one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Ridiculous, December 26, 2011
This review is from: 33 A.D. (Bachiyr Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I gave this book a try because, despite the description (which had me a bit skeptical), I am a big fan of vampire fiction and I like to see new takes on it. This one, however, was an utterly ridiculous addition to the canon of vampire lore. It was predictable, not particularly well written, a silly plot concept (an ancient cartel of vampires controlling Rome are responsible for Jesus death) and in the end felt like a set up for a sequel that I would have no interest in reading. Honestly, if the focus had stayed on this ancient vampire society and not delved so much into "Jesus is super awesome magical and his special glowing magic powers are the only thing that can stop vampires" there might have been some interest there, but the author felt more interested in highlighting the religious aspects and it felt like the actual vampire storyline was just an excuse. I am not anti-Christian or anti-Christian fiction, but this book couldn't make up its mind if it wanted to be a story about faith or a story about vampires and so it wasn't a very good story about either one. Definitely NOT a re-read, not recommended to friends, and will not seek out other work by this author in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Vamps and religion, October 25, 2011
William B. Bebout "Acknud" (Morganfield, Ky United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 33 A.D. (Bachiyr Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
OK...religion and vamps...that is a strange mix. It wasn't a bad book, just ok. I was interested in the book up until the ending. I hate books that are so obviously the beginning of a series. I'll probably read more but it will be further down the line.

33 A.D. (Bachiyr Book 1)