Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more
340 vs 330 vs 320? i'm considering purchasing one of these 3 units. the low price of the 320 is attracting me, but the text-to-speech feature of the 340 is also good. is anything in the 340 really worth spending that much more money for?
asked by F4LL0U7 on June 30, 2006
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
It's just my personal opinion, but I don't think text-to-speech is worth that extra money. For one thing, the machine pronunciation can be very easily just wrong or weird. And most of the time, you don't even have to care about the street name when making a turn, as you can see the turn clearly on the screen, as a big nice arrow. So you don't have to keep reading street signs to not miss a turn. Street signs are quite often very hard to find and/or very small to read, right? Text-to-speech would help only when the street signs are easy to find and read.. If you want to know the street names, you can read it on the screen.
fly2thesun answered on July 19, 2006
Comment | 5 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I think Text to Speech feature is a great feature - not to be taken lightly. Sometimes the delay in the GPS processing and closeness of streets confuses you. Also, closely situated exit ramps make GPS direction 'Turn Right in 500 feet' is ambigious. Spelling out the Street name or Exit name removes the ambiguity. It is good that Garmin is bringing out this feature on their C series.

In fact, I was quite disappointed not to find it on MS Streets. Of course C320 in this price is unbeatable. I have bought one C320 and planning to get another one for my wife but I would rather wait and get C340 when it is under $400.
Wadood Chaudhary answered on September 15, 2006
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes it does support an Open SD memory card slot that can be used with an optional SD memory card to load additional MapSource products.

However, with 2 G card under $40, I see no market for C330 - especially when is is reported that SD card with C320 actually runs faster than inbuilt hard-drive of C330.
Wadood Chaudhary answered on September 15, 2006
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It's VERY simple. If you are even minimally computer and web savvy, buy the C320, load your own maps and save a few $$$$$. If you are computer deficient or unsure, buy the C330 and it will work right out of the box. Later, if you gain the computer skills, you can use the SD card to add your own POIs (points of interest)from the web. Don't bother with the "spoken streets" feature. It isn't worth the cost difference and the street names are VERY legible on the display.
W. DeLong answered on February 10, 2007
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Concur. 340 at http://www.jandhproducts.com/ only$227 plus shipping today!!!
John Waddell answered on October 5, 2007
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Does anyone knows if C330 model support SD card?
Stephen Cheng answered on August 15, 2006
Comment | 0 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product