Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on February 16, 2014
I'm comparing CANVAS MEN's HOWARD TRIBLEND T-Shirt to NEXT LEVEL's TRIBLEND (6010). This is after several normal washes with low dries per instructions. I'm 5'11 and 170ish with a 40'' chest and 16.5'' neck. I ordered a large in both.

WHAT THEY HAVE IN COMMON...

- Both triblends have a high percent of rayon, which is what makes them so soft.
- Both are extremely soft. If you've been a cotton, poly/cotton person, this is a whole new level. (It's not yet rivaling the softness of higher percentage modal fabrics used on things ranging from bedsheets to CALVIN KLEIN products, but you could buy four of these for the price of one CK modal.)
- Both respond well to simple stretches and bounce back.
- Both have a heather-like appearance.
- Both have lie-flat neck lines.
- Both have tight neck collars around the neck line, though neither is too tight.
- Both have reasonably short shoulder lengths.

WHERE THE SHIRTS DIFFER

- The CANVAS is tagless, NEXT LEVEL isn't.
- The CANVAS is lighter (in weight), and even folds smaller. I suspect some colors of the CANVAS may be slightly see-through, however.
- The CANVAS has a more modern cut (sometimes described as "regular" or "slimmer"), with a tighter profile than NEXT LEVEL, which has a classic (slightly looser) cut.
- Since the CANVAS has the cut it does, it makes the better undershirt. But, since it is cut slimmer, it will look better worn on its own or under a blazer.
- NEXT LEVEL is at least 2 inches longer than CANVAS, but similar lengths for sleeves. Despite this, CANVAS is long enough to be tucked in depending on torso and the hight of your pant line. You could bet that the NEXT LEVEL will undoubtedly stay tucked in.
- NEXT LEVEL is slightly roomier around the chest and armpits.
- They have different trim around the neck and sleeves. NEXT LEVEL has wider trim, 3/4 in, and is ever-so-slightly ribbed. CANVAS has a 1/2 in trim, and no ribbing.
- And while both shirts have great neck's (who doesn't care about this these days), NEXT LEVEL's is more classical when you think of a shirt's neck. The NEXT LEVEL is my preferred neck line, but the CANVAS is a bit more modern with the smaller trim.

VERDICT

Without question, both would make excellent sleep and undershirts and will challenge you to go back to cotton undershirts. (However, note that at the time of this review, neither triblend offers a pure-white, so it wouldn't look good under a Oxford-style button up.) But, my verdict is that the CANVAS is a better look to wear out given its cut. But, the slightly roomier nature of NEXT LEVEL makes it my preferred lounging and house shirt. And given how cheap both are, I think you could buy both and try them out yourself. Still, these shirt prove that we're not stuck in an undershirt world consisting of HANES and FRUIT OF THE LOOM, which, despite their best efforts to do otherwise, cannot provide a shirt this soft with a neck line that lasts. Additionally, we don't have to pay the prices of even JOCKEY or CK to get something that is super soft, comfortable, and stylish.
44 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2012
This is a solid typical tri-blend shirt. It's comfortable, and not too tight. I work out and consider myself muscular and fit. Im around 190 lbs, and stand about 5'9. I ordered XL, which seems to fit well. The shirts do shrink a little, which is fine. The shirt is longer on the torso, so it hangs down slightly, while the sleeves are slightly short. If you work out and have decent arms, they will show about half of your arms/bicep area. My only nag is that I ordered all the same shirts ( I thought) and received two different brands of shirts, which do differ very slightly on the fit. Wish they were a little cheaper.
on September 14, 2014
I don't normally wear sleeves this short. My wife says the shirts I normally wear fit on me like a tent would, and that is what I used to prefer.
I am a larger guy, 5'10" 250lbs. 51" chest,18" arms, 36" waist on my jeans for my slightly pudgy belly.
I was so happy about these shirts that I decided to get rid of my old shirts and order another 30 more.
The fit is slightly snug in the chest with plenty of room in the stomach. The material doesn't wrinkle and hasn't shrunk yet and Ive done 6 or so cold wash/ hot dry cycles.
The arms are short in my opinion. Hitting at the lower middle of my bicep a few inches above the inside of my elbow. I thought this would be horrible but I have gotten used to it and prefer it. Show my guns to the world and all.
The torso length is perfect for me and I have a long torso (can easily touch my toes and I am not flexible)
The shirt hangs perfectly where it should and is now my favorite brand.
I also ordered NEXT LEVEL shirts. they are very similar except that the next levels would be for a smaller skinnier version of me. I'd have to say NEXT LEVEL would be for 10% bodyfat version of me trying to show off in my little brothers clothes, and the CANVAS shirts are for current me ~18% bodyfat.
on June 6, 2016
Well worth the price! I have bought the BDG shirts from Urban outfitters for years, but those shirts are becoming too thin and pricey....so took a risk on this brand and was super happy when they arrived (bought 5 different colors). The color, fit, thickness, and softness is absolutely awesome! Best $8 shirts by a long shot!
on December 16, 2014
This review is for the white Tri-Blend Tshirt, size: medium. I usually go with size small, but I think I was reading other reviews and they said it fits just right for someone whose 5'10", larger in the pec/chest area. I'm kinda slim in the stomach area so this medium size makes me look like a tent :( the length is on the long side. About 1 inch longer than store bought white undershirts. It's good if you want to tuck in your shirt. Lastly, the collar is weak and loose. I like my shirts to be tight around the neck - like a slight strangle feeling. Overall, the quality feel of the shirt is awesome, very soft and comfortable. However, don't let my opinion of the shirt dissuade you, it is based on my first experience buying this company's shirt and not knowing what you will get until you try it.

Thank you Canvas for the 10% discount coupon found in my package. :)
on August 19, 2015
This shirt is great, it is really light weight and really soft. The color is just like the picture and even better in person. The shirt lays really well on my frame. In case there are some bigger guys that are skeptical about ordering these shirts don't be. I'm 5 8" and weigh 235lbs, I have a belly and the shirt fits well. It is cut a little longer so guys with a belly don't have to worry about the shirt coming up and showing all your business. I ordered 3 more and I'm very happy with those as well. I bought these to wear with a pair of jeans and some cowboy boots.
review image
on March 29, 2016
Canvas vs Next Level. Both have tags, you can rip the tags off, which leaves some loose threads, this would be better with no tag at all. Both companies tri-cot is very soft. Canvas is looser in fit and in neck; canvas is thinner and partially transparent. Next-level is tighter (fits as expected) tighter neck to look good as an undershirt; thicker and opaque. I will be buying Next-level t-shirts from now on.
on May 15, 2015
This shirt (made by Canvas) completely surprised me when it arrived. It is the most comfortable t-shirt I have worn to date that fits well and is very soft. When held up to the light you can see some light coming through it, barely, but looks like a normal t-shirt when worn. I wanted something very breathable that isn't see-thru to wear specifically for my runs -- perfect match. After a 2 mile run, it has less sweat spots than my 50/50 cotton/poly blend shirts -- great for my needs. I am of average height/build and it is like running without a shirt because either the sweat evaporates quickly or it doesn't get time to gather. I found out the material composition on this "tri-blend" and immediately ordered 4 more. This review is for the royal blue, just in in case color matters on how see-thru it is. On the critical end, this shirt is a tad longer (taller?) in the trunk area compared to my other shirts, but doesn't feel that way when worn. I will buy again even if this shirt wears out faster than others.
on May 5, 2014
There is no reason to buy standard cotton shirts ever again. These are very nice form fitting shirts, I am a more fit individual wider in the chest and narrower in the waist. This shirt slims well to better contour, as opposed to standard cotton that remain way loose around the midsection with so much extra fabric.
on June 6, 2016